(Movie) Leave the World Behind

2 1/2 hours out of my life I won't get back. I kept waiting for a "payoff". Never got it. Interesting premise, decent actors, just no "payoff". I disagree with @Beezle2, I don't think you could assume the characters were all going to end up in the safe room.

hated-it-in-living-color.gif
ok..why?

Things I thought were dumb were the deer..I didn't get it. And the plane crash on an island? Like everyone would not have heard that? Felt it?

What I was thinking too. The deer warning us? They looked like they were gonna attack. And yea, a huge plane crash with no fireball, no noise, nothing? Sure. The driverless cars, just seemed like an overreaction conspiracy theory. I didn’t like most of the characters either. I thought it was just OK for mindless entertainment. But the message didn’t land at all.

I thought it was a pretty good movie -the ending definitely wasn’t what I wanted, but isn’t that kind of the point? 🤷🏻. In the same way a stupid commercial “works” the film did get people talking about it…..

You want a good...nay, GREAT movie? Go see Godzilla Minus One. Don't let the fact that it's a Godzilla movie throw you off. It was fantastic. Great characters. Exciting. Thought provoking. Moving. Just a wonderful film.

You want a good...nay, GREAT movie? Go see Godzilla Minus One. Don't let the fact that it's a Godzilla movie throw you off. It was fantastic. Great characters. Exciting. Thought provoking. Moving. Just a wonderful film.
Now THAT definitely would be a 2-hour waste of time!

Reactions: GAN
Now THAT definitely would be a 2-hour waste of time!
Possibly. Foreign films aren't everybody's cup of tea. It wasn't even about Godzilla...it was a really well done drama and character study that happened to have Godzilla in it. It should be up for consideration for an Oscar for best foreign film.

Why what? Why do I think you can't assume the other characters would end up in the safe room? Because it's not good to make assumptions? Is it possible? Sure. But IMO, not a sure thing.
Sorry, yes that was what I was wondering. I think everything made it obvious that they would all end up there together..it wasn't really an assumption. But until we actually see them there I guess anything could happen.

Sorry, yes that was what I was wondering. I think everything made it obvious that they would all end up there together..it wasn't really an assumption. But until we actually see them there I guess anything could happen.
I will say, I did expect as they did the pull out from the girl in the room to the interior to the exterior (they did do that, right, I'm not imagining it?), we were going to see the adults walking up the driveway to the house. THAT would make it obvious they would end up there.

I will say, I did expect as they did the pull out from the girl in the room to the interior to the exterior (they did do that, right, I'm not imagining it?), we were going to see the adults walking up the driveway to the house. THAT would make it obvious they would end up there.
Julia Robert’s character and the other girl were standing within eyeshot of the house and said something to the effect of “she’s got to be in that house, that has to be where she went.” Then the camera zoomed to the house, over her bike, through the broken window pane, past all the food she’d left on the table, and into the bunker. So it was pretty much assured that they were heading to the house next and would find her.

When the girl is in the house she hears her mother calling from right outside. They showed us the bike she had been riding right outside the front door with the window smashed. There is no way for the mom to miss that the girl is in the house. For the men after they get the medicine from the guy at the other house and he tells them about the bunker that his friend had built at the house where the girl is they say "guess we should head over to the house where the bunker is". To me very broad strokes to say that they will all end up there. edit: I see another poster also posted about this, I didn't see it before I went over it or I would have spared us the repeat :)

Possibly. Foreign films aren't everybody's cup of tea. It wasn't even about Godzilla...it was a really well done drama and character study that happened to have Godzilla in it. It should be up for consideration for an Oscar for best foreign film.
I'll have a look..thanks for the recommendation. I'll recommend Freaks vs The Reich as a foreign film that surprised me with how much I liked it. It was beautiful visually which sucked me in but then I liked the story also.

I thought it was ok, with a 'meh' ending.

If you want to save yourself some time, just go check out the Twiligh Zone episode - "The monsters are due on maple street". It is essentially the same story, just done 60 years earlier.

I'm watching it now and I gotta say. I hope they get somewhere soon and something happens because so it is a snooze and poorly acted. 40 minutes in...

Omg..I am dying laughing at myself. I am watching Minus One..not Godzilla Minus One. I couldn't even say how bad this movie is and I kept waiting for something... anything... 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter