Mouse keeping--is this just an issue at Poly?

I think the people who are continuing their stay are the lowest on the totem pole. Houskeeping has to turn over the room to new guests first, and those rooms get a more thorough cleaning then guests who already have a room and are in the middle of their stay. They aim to have the new rooms ready around 3, so it makes sense that if rooms have to be done later on, it is the guests that are already staying at the resort. I'd rather my room was finished earlier on too, but I have leaned to just ask for towels if I'm in the room for a break and it is not made up yet.

Just got back from a stay at the Poly. We go at least once per year. We tend to be out of the room in the mornings, like to come back and relax in the rooms in the later afternoon and then head back to the parks at night. We just left after a 7 night stay, and could not help but notice how long it took each day to get our room serviced. We would often come back tired at 3PM, and find our room still not serviced. We always felt like we immediately had to clear out and head to the pool so they could come in and do it.

One afternoon when it still was not done by 5, we had to call, and they had forgotten about us. At the pool we noticed DVC members complaining a lot about the housekeeping, ones staying in the bungalows saying they got skipped even on day 4, etc. they shared with us that Disney was contracted out its maid service and this is why the service has gone so downhill. We were just at the boardwalk over Christmas busy week, and had no issues at all.

Anyone hear about this "contract out"? Is this just a Poly thing? I must say we lost our "Poly love" after this trip, particularly for the price you pay. The monorail was often hot and overcrowded to boot.
We had the same issue at POFQ a few weeks ago. We came back to the room around 3-4 to rest, but then had to vacate so our room could be serviced. It was inconvenient for sure.

I think the people who are continuing their stay are the lowest on the totem pole. Houskeeping has to turn over the room to new guests first, and those rooms get a more thorough cleaning then guests who already have a room and are in the middle of their stay. They aim to have the new rooms ready around 3, so it makes sense that if rooms have to be done later on, it is the guests that are already staying at the resort. I'd rather my room was finished earlier on too, but I have leaned to just ask for towels if I'm in the room for a break and it is not made up yet.
This last visit was the first time it has ever been an issue. Coming back midday has never been a problem before this last trip.

Last edited:
I think they do contract out. On arrival day last year, our room was not ready until almost 4:00. We got the text that room was ready. Went up and housekeeping was still working on room. Housekeeper was surprised when we walked in and asked who sent us up. We said we got a text and she said something about how the room still needed to be inspected since a contracted worker did the room and she was waiting for the supervisor. I wonder if they use outside workers or a temp agency when they are busy.

When we went back for mid day breaks, more often than not the room was not done.

We had the same issue at POFQ a few weeks ago. We came back to the room around 3-4 to rest, but then had to vacate so our room could be serviced. It was inconvenient for sure.

Yes! this is what happened to us. We would go back for a rest and housekeeping was a few rooms down. We were hesitant to rest/sleep because we wanted the room serviced, trash needed to be emptied and we needed towels. One day I just found her and she gave us some towels and shampoo. Then I put the "do not disturb" sign up so we could rest.

Trash laying around on the floors in the AM and still there when we got back at dinner time. The carpet needed to be vacuumed - little pieces of something all over the carpet.....for days. The elevator was always dirty too. The emergency call cover was hanging off the elevator wall for days.
This was our experience as well. We have not been back to the Poly since.

yes, I agree, its a problem if you get forgotten, but the checkouts (especially if there are a lot of ins and outs in one day) get priority, and the stayovers get fit in there when they can....and housekeeping goes from probably 8 or 9am until 5 or 6, so somebody has to take those later slots....

so call housekeeping when you leave the room in the morning and the problem should work itself out, because if they know you are ready for it, it helps them plan their day better....

If you're going to come back in the afternoon, I find it helpful to call housekeeping in the morning as we leave and tell them we want the room serviced as soon as possible (I do this at many hotels not just Disney). It lets them know, so they can get it done as soon as they can.

Just got back from a stay at the Poly. We go at least once per year. We tend to be out of the room in the mornings, like to come back and relax in the rooms in the later afternoon and then head back to the parks at night. We just left after a 7 night stay, and could not help but notice how long it took each day to get our room serviced. We would often come back tired at 3PM, and find our room still not serviced. We always felt like we immediately had to clear out and head to the pool so they could come in and do it.

One afternoon when it still was not done by 5, we had to call, and they had forgotten about us. At the pool we noticed DVC members complaining a lot about the housekeeping, ones staying in the bungalows saying they got skipped even on day 4, etc. they shared with us that Disney was contracted out its maid service and this is why the service has gone so downhill. We were just at the boardwalk over Christmas busy week, and had no issues at all.

Anyone hear about this "contract out"? Is this just a Poly thing? I must say we lost our "Poly love" after this trip, particularly for the price you pay. The monorail was often hot and overcrowded to boot.

I don't know about them contracting out the service, but we had a split stay with AKL and BC in June. Our room at AKL was often not serviced until very late, 4-5 PM. At BC, it was always earlier. We would come back to the room around 12-1PM and it was done.

Got back from Beach Club Villas 2 weeks ago and did have issues with housekeeping...one day room not serviced until after 5, one day they forgot us, we got back to the room in the evening, everyone wanted to shower etc but no clean towels (we had left old ones bundled up for them to take away). Called down for towels only, had to call again after 45 minutes...

I don't know about them contracting out the service, but we had a split stay with AKL and BC in June. Our room at AKL was often not serviced until very late, 4-5 PM. At BC, it was always earlier. We would come back to the room around 12-1PM and it was done.

And for us the latest resorts are always BC/BCV (both hotel and villas) and BLT.

I recall seeing Mousekeeping starting around 8 am at POFQ in January 2017... but they were probably going to the rooms most recently vacated by guests. Then I think they go back and deal with the rooms with continuing guests.

Definitely let Disney know you were unhappy with the state of general upkeep but I hope it doesn't cast a permanent shadow on your visits! :)

.... We tend to be out of the room in the mornings, like to come back and relax in the rooms in the later afternoon and then head back to the parks at night. We just left after a 7 night stay, and could not help but notice how long it took each day to get our room serviced. We would often come back tired at 3PM, and find our room still not serviced.

..... DVC members complaining a lot about the housekeeping, ones staying in the bungalows saying they got skipped even on day 4, etc. they shared with us that Disney was contracted out its maid service and this is why the service has gone so downhill. We were just at the boardwalk over Christmas busy week, and had no issues at all.

This has happened to us at ALL resorts at all levels. Probably a combo of staff numbers, checkouts each day etc.

No contracting out, only thing involved is the union. Disney is ALWAYS hiring housekeeping and right now are offering $500 signing bonuses .... shortage?

Housekeeping- Full Time - $500 Hiring Bonus
06/01/2017 Walt Disney World Resort Lake Buena Vista, United States; Orlando, United States

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be an isolated incident. We came back from 10 nights at the GF, and almost every day of our stay, our room was not touched until after 3. I made sure to go down to concierge and complain, and I was advised that they were going to speak with the housekeeping manager directly. In spite of the notation in the system to have the room serviced by noon everyday, this late service continued. We even felt as thought the housekeepers were retaliating against us for complaining. I won't go into to details, but they definitely went out of their way to ensure that we were not pleased. Thankfully, Disney more than compensated us for the unfortunate events. Unfortunately, I believe way too many people accept this level of service and do not complain when they are there, but after the fact. You have to be sure to address the issues as they occur...please keep that in mind, if you are hoping to be compensated in any way. All of our complaints were noted in the system, so when Guest Relations went to investigate, they could clearly see what had taken place.

They aren't contracting out Housekeeping. The Housekeepers work for Disney, not a 3rd party. I don't get where this type of stuff starts. Well, I do but I don't get why people want to start that type of stuff.

Have they made some changes that encourage the Housekeepers to go faster? I think they have but most of them still do a very good job. Sometimes they are up against impossible to please guests.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would complain if their room isn't cleaned by 3:00. Not cleaned at all, of course you complain (as long as you aren't DVC). But by a certain time? Sorry, that's being too picky. They have a lot of rooms to clean and everyones can't be cleaned before 3:00. We realized on our last stay that our particular building was one of the last to be cleaned so it was never ready before 3:00. That's how it fit in their cycle. Should we have complained about that? Of course not. It was cleaned around 3:00 each day and cleaned beautifully. We often were around the resort and met our Housekeeper several times and she was so very sweet. DH talked with her often, DGD and I were usually at the pool.

I must say we lost our "Poly love" after this trip, particularly for the price you pay.
NOOOOOO :eek: That's maybe the saddest thing I've heard all day! Tell you what, if we are both staying at the Poly at the same time I will come and clean your room for you. :thumbsup2 Anything to help regain the Poly Love!!

The monorail was often hot and overcrowded to boot.
The next time you stay there, which you will of course because I'm going to clean your room:littleangel:, try the boat to MK instead. We ended up never taking the monorail our last trip. The boat was so much more fun. It took longer for sure, but felt more like a ride and less like transportation.

We had the same problem at Gf a few years ago. But often not touched until around 5pm. DH very very unhappy. I don't think I will ever get him back to GF again.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would complain if their room isn't cleaned by 3:00. Not cleaned at all, of course you complain (as long as you aren't DVC). But by a certain time? Sorry, that's being too picky.

I don't get it either. If you have to have housekeeping done early because a kid needs to nap or whatever, let housekeeping know. They're not psychic.

I have stayed at Disney Resorts every year for more than 20 years. The late housekeeping was NEVER an issue, until this year. I can understand if some people are fine with having late service. However, when we are paying some of the highest rates at Disney and leave our room every morning at 8:00 am and return and the room is still not serviced at 3:00 in the afternoon, it is unacceptable. In our case, housekeeping was noted in the system to be done daily by 12:00 PM, and it simply wasn't done. When you come back after spending 4-5 hours in the park, and you are unable to rest in your room because they still haven't gotten to it, it's not acceptable. We lost about 3-4 hours in our room every afternoon, because of housekeeping delays. That is not okay. We also found that after the room was serviced, it was done very poorly. Dirty glasses left on the table, no new glasses left, water in the ice bucket, dirty linens left several times, with no fresh linens left, no toiletries left when requested, no vacuuming...the day we arrived, there were toe nail clippings in our carpet. That is just gross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter