Motion sickness.

talbot3186

Earning My Ears
I get motion sickness I just normally don't do rides. Going to Orlando for first time next September would love to try some of the big rides, want are you best thing to take for it and if I don't do the rides is the anywhere I can wait for my boyfriend while he rides other then just standing around outside the ride waiting. :)

I suffer from motion sickness as well but don't take anything for it. Nearly all the rides seem to advise 'do not ride this ride if you are prone to motion sickness' but honestly most are ok they just cover themselves with a HUGE list of 'be carefuls and ride at your own risk' kind of notices. The ones that I really can't take are The Simpsons Ride at US and Spiderman at IOA and Man in Black is a bit iffy depending on how many times it spins me!.
Hardly any of the rides go round and round and round, like the tea cups, and that's normally where a lot of people get motion sick..

Forgot to mention Mission Space at Epcot...I won't even attempt that one as DH as told me I just wouldn't manage that one!

I suffer from motion sickness too but its only really the simulator rides I really struggle with.
I have to force myself to go on Star Tours as my husband and son are Star Wars mad. Theres some benches just after the ride before the shop, so sometimes I sit there for a bit to recover or sometimes I do skip it and wait outside.
I know Bethan suffers from it too, im sure she mentioned something she took in her trip reports. Hopefully she will come along and help. :thumbsup2

I avoid spinning rides. Men and black at universal studios made me feel quite sick. most rides are fine.

I think most tablets make you drowsy so not sure.

Motion sickness here too ...

I need to take some medicine before going to the theme parks,
star tours is ok (with the meds) but I can't manage Teacups ... if you're familiar with the ones in Disneyland paris, be advised that the ones in MK are better maintained and thus spin way faster ... I got caught on my first trip, I manage those in paris no problem, but those in Orlando ... I won't paint you a graphic picture ...)

definitely stay away from Mission Space (especially the orange version, which has puke bags inside the ride ... imagine ...)

Did you see your G.P.?, as there are some meds that can make your park life so much more enjoyable ... (might not work with you though)

I know Bethan suffers from it too, im sure she mentioned something she took in her trip reports. Hopefully she will come along and help. :thumbsup2

Hey :) Yes I do! I went in May and was dreading going on some of the rides! Have been before and have done all the rides previously but over the past year or so my motion sickness had gotten a lot worse.

I took a Bonine (meclizine hydrochloride) tablet each morning with breakfast before heading to the parks. They're the once a day ones and I bought them off Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonine-Moti...ie=UTF8&qid=1375016783&sr=8-1&keywords=bonine Not sure if you can buy them in shops in the UK...

I've always suffered with motion sickness and have tried endless things: the acu-bands, Kwells, Stugeron, Joy Rides etc etc... however, recently I found that they didn't do much for me! So I tried Bonine and it seemed to do the trick before I went away. I'm not sure if it was a psychological thing with me (why the other meds hadn't been working for me) but I know they work with others :goodvibes Just gotta give different ones a try!

Anyhow, I was OK with most rides but I couldn't do like we did in the past where we'd ride the same ride like Expedition Everest four times in a row or something :rotfl2: Now I could do it once and then had to take it easy and walked around for 30 minutes afterwards.

The only ride I really struggled with this time was Tower of Terror - that really ruined me and I couldn't ride it again for the rest of the holiday! Such a shame as it's a fun ride! The coasters like BTMR, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest and RnR were OK (motion sickness-wise) and I really enjoy them, but once a day was my quota :rotfl: Similar thing with simulator rides too! I just didn't do them in quick succession!

If my friends wanted to ride something again, I'd either wait around for them around by the ride exit if they had Fastpasses and weren't going to be too long (the free wifi and your phone will keep you occupied, and sometimes I had my Kindle with me) or if they had to line up I'd wait around the area, looking in the shops or grab a drink and do my favourite thing of all: people watch!

I hope you find something that works for you! And if you really don't think you'll be able to ride something then please don't force yourself to go on it because you think you should - it's not worth the sicky feeling for the rest of the day! There's plenty of other things to see if the rest of your party do a ride and you don't :) Good luck!

Edited to add: wanted to mention some rides I 100% can't do. Definitely agree with the teacups as mentioned by a PP - a vile ride haha!! I actually found the Green side of Mission Space not too bad - I find it slightly easier than Star Tours. Maybe pressing the buttons takes my mind off it! However, you would NEVER catch me near the Orange side of that ride! That's a death wish if you ask me!
In terms of other parks: the roller coasters are great fun at Universal and SeaWorld (especially Manta), but it was a case of doing it (sometimes closing my eyes haha) and then taking it easy for a while afterwards! Not sure if it's just me but I always notice that my head feels compressed and sometimes I genuinely feel drunk coming off them - especially with Kraken in SeaWorld! When I got off that ride I was staggering and very nauseous and it looked like I'd had an all day session in the pub! And whilst I mentioned SeaWorld I highly recommend you avoid the Wild Arctic Flight Simulator! I feel sick just thinking of that now! Just walk through to the animals at the end of the ride - you really won't miss anything :)

Hey :)

And whilst I mentioned SeaWorld I highly recommend you avoid the Wild Arctic Flight Simulator! I feel sick just thinking of that now! Just walk through to the animals at the end of the ride - you really won't miss anything :)

omg..yes I forgot about that one, it is truly awful!

I use motion ease! This an all natural oil that you put behind your ears! It works like magic! (but it does smell a little)

Thank you everyone for help, Beth all your info is great thank you, I get some off those tables and give them a try when we got our local fair in town at the end of August. :) x

I think if you suffer with motion sickness long enough, the UK medications tend to stop working. You kinda become resistant to them which is probably why using something like Bonine from the US works better. The same thing happens with antihistamines and antibiotics.

I find that US motion sickness medications work well. Peppermint and ginger are great for it too (I eat A LOT OF MINTS!). Mission Space, Tea Cups, Star Tours and Rock n Rollercoaster are your big no no rides for Disney, but I've been a little iffy on Test Track and Soarin too.

I am absolutely awful on simulators. They make me genuinely ill so I just stay away from them. I can do the easier coasters like Space Mountain, Everest and Rock n Roller Coaster but only ever once in a day. Anything that spins makes me have to lie down. My daughter begged me to go on Primeval Hurl with her one year. I was involuntarily crying when I got off that!

No kind of medication works for me.

I'd start with Space Mountain as a gauge and work your way up if that's okay. It took me three trips to get onto Everest!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter