Motion sickness that ISNT the patch?

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
This gets asked often and I am usually the first to champion the Transdermal Scopolamine patch which works like charm for my rather serious motion sickness. However I am kind of over the side effects of the patch,specifically the blurred vision that makes the trip less than awesome. So has anyone else switched from the TS patch to something else successfully? I once tried a combo of ginger pills, sea bands and motion ease oil and I wanted to die after riding Harry Potter lol so that holistic stuff is out.

When I was pregnant, I had "morning" sickness that was pretty much all day. It wasn't major, but enough to make me not want to eat. My doctor told me to take a combination of half a Unisom tablet plus Vitamin B6 every night before bed. Bonus, it helped me sleep. It worked like a charm and I still take it when I get a migraine with nausea. I haven't had a chance to try it as a preventive measure for motion sickness yet, but I plan on using for whenever I get to do Guardians as well as my August cruise.

I've tried them all too. The patch worked for me for motion sickness, but had a mild amnesiac effect.
Ginger, sea bands, oils etc. are more for symptoms than prevention.

Meclizine (Bonine or Less-drowsy Dramamine) works well for me...BUT, the key for me is to take it a day or two BEFORE the trip, at NIGHT, and take ONE each night for the duration of the trip. This way, the dose gradually builds to a steady state while the most drowsy effects are during the night while I sleep. (Caution: Original Dramamine is not meclazine. It's dimenhydrinate and makes most people very drowsy).

My DH gets terrible motion sickness. He cannot do any virtual reality or spinning rides. He got a Reliefband last year because we were going to Universal and he wanted to try some of the rides so he wasn’t missing out. He used it on several of the virtual rides and it worked for him. He was very pleased with the results.

My DH gets terrible motion sickness. He cannot do any virtual reality or spinning rides. He got a Reliefband last year because we were going to Universal and he wanted to try some of the rides so he wasn’t missing out. He used it on several of the virtual rides and it worked for him. He was very pleased with the results.

Tell me of this Reliefband!

Tell me of this Reliefband!
I also have terrible motion sickness but find that Bonine works well for me most of the time. However, it didn't work for FoP; I just hunker down with my eyes closed and focus on feeling the breeze on my face. If I open my eyes, I'm done for.

A little internet searching makes me think that this is like SeaBands, only with slight electrical impulses instead of just pressure. I wouldn't want to find out in the middle of a flight that it DOESN"T work for me- because the SeaBands sure don't.
ETA 7 day trial band is $99, "classic" band w/one tube of gel is $140... prices go up from there.

Regarding the scope patch... I usually only have blurred vision when I somehow transfer some of the patch medication directly to my eye. I have found that if I put a bandaid "dot" (it's a bandaid that's about 1" square) over the scope patch, this doesn't happen (or else those have been the times when I haven't inadvertently tucked my hair behind my ear and then rubbed my eye a while later). I've had good luck with ondansetron (Zoloft) but you need a prescription for this.

Last edited:
I take Bonine while diving and it works great. I start taking it the night before the trip, then every day after. They do not make me sleepy cause lets face it, one doesn't want to get sleepy 100 feet under the water.

Mandatory warning: Please consult with a medical professional before taking any new medications especially if you are already taking other prescriptions.

Most anti vertigo medications have failry strong l anticholinergic side effects and can really mess with many other medications.

I am in the Bonnie and non drowsy dramine together. Start day before and keep it up. I need it for big thunder space mountain etc.

A little internet searching makes me think that this is like SeaBands, only with slight electrical impulses instead of just pressure. I wouldn't want to find out in the middle of a flight that it DOESN"T work for me- because the SeaBands sure don't.
ETA 7 day trial band is $99, "classic" band w/one tube of gel is $140... prices go up from there.

Regarding the scope patch... I usually only have blurred vision when I somehow transfer some of the patch medication directly to my eye. I have found that if I put a bandaid "dot" (it's a bandaid that's about 1" square) over the scope patch, this doesn't happen (or else those have been the times when I haven't inadvertently tucked my hair behind my ear and then rubbed my eye a while later). I've had good luck with ondansetron (Zoloft) but you need a prescription for this.

I use a round band-aid over the patches every time I use them and I STILL get blurry vision every single time. I am super cautious about not touching the area and washing my hands if I do. It's frustrating especially with how much Disney forces one to use their cell phone. My vision makes using the phone very difficult.

I suffer as well from horrible motion sickness and avoid all but the tamest rides (TTA, HM, Pirates, etc). Although I've never tried this personally, I've found that if I've had a little to drink and am slightly buzzed, I experience zero motion sickness. I'm not condoning drinking by any means, but it might be worth a try for you as long as you're not taking any medications that it can cause issues with.

I suffer as well from horrible motion sickness and avoid all but the tamest rides (TTA, HM, Pirates, etc). Although I've never tried this personally, I've found that if I've had a little to drink and am slightly buzzed, I experience zero motion sickness. I'm not condoning drinking by any means, but it might be worth a try for you as long as you're not taking any medications that it can cause issues with.

I am staunchly averse to drinking unfortunately.

I bit the bullet and purchased a Relief Band Sport and tried it out during the 30 day trial. I took two plane trips including one trip to Disney. My motion sickness is the WORST as a passenger in the car, so I tried that out a ton as well. It WORKS FOR ME for most motion. BUT - no way did it work for motion simulators. The first 10 seconds of Remy, I was done......not even at the highest setting on the band. But, I am an advocate for the band b/c at least now, even for a daily errand, my husband can drive and I don't feel nauseous!

I've tried them all too. The patch worked for me for motion sickness, but had a mild amnesiac effect.
Ginger, sea bands, oils etc. are more for symptoms than prevention.

Meclizine (Bonine or Less-drowsy Dramamine) works well for me...BUT, the key for me is to take it a day or two BEFORE the trip, at NIGHT, and take ONE each night for the duration of the trip. This way, the dose gradually builds to a steady state while the most drowsy effects are during the night while I sleep. (Caution: Original Dramamine is not meclazine. It's dimenhydrinate and makes most people very drowsy).
This is exactly what I do and have found that it works well. I also did not like the side effects associated with the patch.

THIS. I do the exact same thing. Meclizine helps me with motion simulator rides like nothing else does, but the key is starting 1 or two nights before the trip and taking it nightly before bed.

I also do Bonine before bed, but I still get drowsy. I avoid the mountain range at MK anyway because of the drops (I’m a huge ride wimp on top of my motion sickness-ugh), so I don’t have to take it for the other MK rides. I’m always so much more awake and alert those days, but I definitely need it for stuff like Flight of Passage and pretty much all of Universal. I wish I could find a solution that works that wouldn’t knock me out. :(

I think i will try Meclizine this weekend at night to see how I feel the next day. Want to make sure I'm still fully functional. Epcot doesn't really have anything that makes me sick...but there may be the GotG preview we go to.

I really don't like taking medicines. Scopolamine is really a rather scary drug (you'll literally start hallucinating if you leave it on too long), so I especially avoid that one. If seabands didn't work for you before, it might be due to sizing or placement. Like other medicines, of course, they don't work on everyone the same, but I do get significant relief from them myself, and know many others who love them. To get better sizing, consider getting a pair of Blisslets, which is a brand of acupressure bands that are much more stylish, and which come in a variety of sizes. Disney's actually selling them on cruises. They're not at the parks as far as I'm aware, but you can find them online.

... lets face it, one doesn't want to get sleepy 100 feet under the water.
I loved sleeping 400 ft (+ classified) under the waves all the time! Of course it was on a sub which made it's own air, so not so limited by your tanks!

Ditto on the Bonine. DW and I (in our mid 60's), us it for every trip now and have been able to enjoy more experiences which used to make me queasy. Even going to try EE again this Sept. Wish us luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter