Motion Sickness questions

michellej47

Mouseketeer
I have mild to moderate motion sickness when it comes to simulator type rides. I can ride most rides fine, but motion type rides give me struggles. I think the problem is that my brain and my body both have to be moving. I can handle Soarin'. I get a bit queasy, and there are a few parts where I have to close my eyes, but I can deal. I do take motion sickness meds.

I'd like to try a few rides on our next trip that I've never tried before. I want to be able to try FoP, Star Tours, and MFSR. Do you know if these are the types of rides where you can just close your eyes if it gets a little squirrely or are they too rough?

If you can do Soarin', you should be OK on FoP.
I'm not so sure that will work as well on Star Tours. I may be worng, but it seems like that had more jarring movemements, more "drops", etc.
As long as you're not the pilot that should work for MFSR.
I would say FoP is the smoothest with more swooping, but some drops, Star Tours, the roughest and MFSR in between.

I'm just the opposite. Soarin is no problem at all. Can not do Star Tours at all, while don't actually throw up I get a horrible headache and just feel off and dizzy the rest of the day. FoP is sort of between the two for me. They used to have horrible fitting glasses that would not stay on my face so I had to ride holding on to them, I was miserable the entire time. Then I got smart and wore a cloth head band that I could tuck the glasses into, that made it a little better. Now the have smaller glasses and I can tolerate it but I don't ride it more than once a trip and am o.k. if I don't get to ride it.

I'm just the opposite. Soarin is no problem at all. Can not do Star Tours at all, while don't actually throw up I get a horrible headache and just feel off and dizzy the rest of the day. FoP is sort of between the two for me. They used to have horrible fitting glasses that would not stay on my face so I had to ride holding on to them, I was miserable the entire time. Then I got smart and wore a cloth head band that I could tuck the glasses into, that made it a little better. Now the have smaller glasses and I can tolerate it but I don't ride it more than once a trip and am o.k. if I don't get to ride it.

Same ! My kids laugh at me , but can't do ST at all ! Fine on soarin and FoP

I get MILD motion sickness on the simulator type rides. I do get some motion sickness, but it's pretty mild and about 10-20 minutes after the ride i'm fine. The rides that cause me motion sickness:

1) Star Tours is the worst. I'm usually okay, but if it gets bad then I close my eyes and i'm okay. Never more than once in a day, though.
2) Mission space is also pretty bad for motion sickness. Again, i'm usually fine, but closing my eyes and keeping my head looking straight forward and all the way back helps if I need it. Again, never more than once in a day.
3) FOP does cause some very mild motion sickness for me. I am okay riding this multiple times in a day.
4) Expedition Everest is bad, in the dark, going backwards. Closing my eyes does not help...in fact, what helps me here is looking towards the ground and trying to find the spots where the light peeks through the track in the dark to see them. Losing my vision here is what gives me the motion sickness. If it weren't in the dark and/or it wasn't backwards i'd be fine. Twice per day is my limit.
5) If I do Tower of Terror 3+ times in a row, then i'm ready to be done for about an hour, and then I could go again.

I am completely fine with Soarin. Zero problems....in fact, give me a neck pillow and something to prop my feet up on, and i'd lay back, relax, and let the soothing tones of Patrick Warburton lull me to sleep while i'm being gently rocked through a tranquil flight around the world. Space mountain, Rockin', Big Thunder, etc...are all fine...I could ride these on a loop forever, never getting off the ride.

Same as most of the other replies... FoP seems so similar to Soarin' that it's okay for me. **I would ask the CM if you can sit in the seat for FoP that will be more toward the center of the screen.** I haven't asked before but I can really tell the difference in motion sickness queasiness if I sit very near the outer edge versus toward the center.

I also can't do Everest more than twice in a row; that backwards part is so bad for me but I just start counting slowly once I'm in the dark. I know it gets worse around "6" then mellows a bit, but I know I can handle anything for 10-12 seconds so I do it. :) (not a simulator but this one really does me in)

Star Tours is really rough for me, both motion with the jarring and anxiety (closed in). [My first-ever panic attack was in 2010 on Mission Space, so enclosed spaces became a no-go for awhile. 9/2019 trip to WDW, I did Star Tours with no problem; did it again this last January at Disneyland and it was terrible. Lesson learned!]

Compared to Star Tours, MFSR was a breeze. Yes, it moved but it's soooo much smoother. (The end simulator portion of RotR is also a breeze, and the beginning one hardly moves.)

Really recommend trying FoP because it's also smooth and so wide open, so it's going to be the closest to Soarin. Good luck and have fun!

So looks like I'll try everything but Star Tours. My husband told me the same, that it's pretty rough. Mission Space has never been on my radar because I have read horror stories!!

I definitely struggle with motion sickness.
No problem at all on Soarin.
FoP gives me a bit of trouble but not bad and definitely worth it. The ride is awesome!
MFSR no problem at all. It's pretty jerky, though.
Star Tours is definitely the worst one for me. It can really get me. Once my husband, two sons and I were the only ones in the whole vehicle so I asked if we could sit in the middle of the middle row and that was much better as there is less movement. Maybe ask to sit in the middle?

i have motion sickness and I agree with some of these comments. Can’t do Star Wars, mission space, Everest is good till it goes backward. Can do FOP but I have to close my eyes through some of it. I had a little problem on Star Wars rise of the resistance but it’s totally worth it. If you ever feel like you can’t handle something close your eyes it seems much better.

i have severe motion sickness but can ride anything as long as I do the ” jet pilot push” on the rides. I tense my abs and bear down which helps to keep my organs from moving around. The other key is to ride on an empty stomach.

I also have severe motion sickness. Agree with everyone that ST is a total no go for me, and if it wasn’t for my scopolamine and closing my eyes frequently I wouldn’t be able to do FoP or Soarin either. And many of the rides at US are bad.

I get dizzy pretty easily on rides. I will not do FOP, although I was 10 people away from trying it in November. (I chickened out last minute!) Star Tours makes me a little dizzy, but not enough that I’d stop going on it. MFSR was ok for me when I was a shooter, but as a pilot it messed me up a bit. I wouldn’t stop going on it, though. The newest one for me is Soarin... it NEVER bothered me until this past year! There are two spots I have to close my eyes for... as we approach the Pyramid and then again coming up to the Eiffel Tower. It’s crazy. I won’t take anything, though, because I feel like the medicine made for dizziness makes me even more dizzy!! 😂 Can’t win!

If you ever did the Aladdin ride at Disney Quest, it might be similar to FOP. I got so sick riding that one that I had to get off before it was over. But, then, I get sick on the Carousel. Big Thunder Mt destroyed me.

I get crazy sick on Star Tours, and a little ill on FOP and Soarin'. On a past trip, I tried taking Dramamine for motion sickness, and it worked like magic (I have never taken it before, because I don't get motion sickness anywhere else)! I took it about an hour before I was going on the ride and no motion sickness. I could actually enjoy all the rides with my family.

I have slight motion sickness as well. I usually do OK with Soarin', but have to close my eyes occasionally. I'm usually OK on FOP and Star Tours, but if I do start to get a little sick, I can close my eyes and then I'm OK. On FOP, there is an extra benefit (for me at least), that there is a little breeze blowing in your face, so when your eyes are closed, you get a refreshing breeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter