Motion sickness - GotG vs. ToT

BriannaRuth

DIS Veteran
I have issues with motion sickness, but with my Relief Band I was always able to ride ToT in spite of it. However, I went on GotG for the first time last week and things did NOT go well! The increased number of ups and downs really wreaked havoc with my stomach and my head! Seriously I felt like I was on a yo-yo!

It was really too bad because the ride itself actually feels less scary that ToT and had I not had the motion sickness, I would have gladly ridden it again. As it is, I think I'm permanently done with it.

Anyone else notice this?

I have issues with motion sickness, but with my Relief Band I was always able to ride ToT in spite of it. However, I went on GotG for the first time last week and things did NOT go well! The increased number of ups and downs really wreaked havoc with my stomach and my head! Seriously I felt like I was on a yo-yo!

It was really too bad because the ride itself actually feels less scary that ToT and had I not had the motion sickness, I would have gladly ridden it again. As it is, I think I'm permanently done with it.

Anyone else notice this?

Yep, I do not get motion sickness almost ever, but I get it slightly sometimes on GOTG. I think it's the bouncing up and down when you're watching a screen part that does it for me. It's not enough to make me not want to do it, just something I've noticed.

TOT was not for me (and I tried it twice-once at DLR and once at WDW). Unfortunately, although I love me some Rocket, Baby Groot, and Peter Quill, I will never be riding GOG.

I think GotG is has a bit more motion going on than ToT. I've ridden ToT since it open ended in WDW and experienced the changes in drops over the years. GotG takes it up a notch, not only is the ride seemingly longer but there were a couple of times where they shot you straight up pretty fast and then stopped so you "hovered" for a second before letting you drop a ways. It made for somewhat of an inverse bungee effect.

Though I am not really fond of the effect I will be definitely riding again. The GotG overlay is VERY well done and the scenes and the music rocks!

Kevin and Mona

I've never been on Tower of Terror, but I almost threw up on Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm never going on that ever again

Star Tours brings on major motion sickness for me. I end up sitting through it with my eyes closed, just listening to the story.

As I fear heights, GOTG is off my to-do list, and with this motion sickness issue it's even more on my "never ever" list.

I'm with OP. I didn't love TOT but I could ride it without getting sick. But GOTG left me praying for a quick end to the ride. Haha! I didn't think I'd get back on it but I have a rule about riding everything once so I may have to try the Halloween after dark version. But it will be the last ride of the day for me.

The other one that does me in now that didn't use to is GRR. Too much spinning.

Yeah, it was really an odd experience for me. I was actually enjoying the ride more than I enjoyed ToT ... it's so fun and upbeat and energetic, the visuals are really good and for some reason the drops weren't making me feel nervous or scared like ToT; I was actually enjoying coming up off my seat ... but oh man, my stomach and my head were SO DONE after about the 5th drop. Never again ...

Yep, I do not get motion sickness almost ever, but I get it slightly sometimes on GOTG. I think it's the bouncing up and down when you're watching a screen part that does it for me. It's not enough to make me not want to do it, just something I've noticed.
There's a screen now? ToT didn't have a screen during the ride that I recall, so this is new GOTG thing?

I'm REALLY glad you started this thread OP! I never would have thought to take my motion sickness meds for it, assuming it would "feel" exactly like ToT, but I'm going to now. Better safe than sorry and I would be devastated if I lost a day at DLR to motion sickness.

I keep reading all these threads about guardians. Makes me really nervous. I rode tot and it wasnt that bad. I do get motion sickness so I dont ride symphony swings or the kid rides in bug land.

Ill be there in feb so I will riding guardians! Hopefully i dont get sick!

Star Tours and Screamin are the ones that give me trouble. Last trip, I took ginger capsules in the morning and during the day and they helped SO much. I have not had luck with the wrist bands.

There's a screen now? ToT didn't have a screen during the ride that I recall, so this is new GOTG thing?

I'm REALLY glad you started this thread OP! I never would have thought to take my motion sickness meds for it, assuming it would "feel" exactly like ToT, but I'm going to now. Better safe than sorry and I would be devastated if I lost a day at DLR to motion sickness.

TOT did have a screen, but it was much less...involved than in GOTG. In the new ride you return to the screen several times, and when you are watching it you are kind of bouncing up and down at the same time.

I keep reading all these threads about guardians. Makes me really nervous. I rode tot and it wasnt that bad. I do get motion sickness so I dont ride symphony swings or the kid rides in bug land.

Ill be there in feb so I will riding guardians! Hopefully i dont get sick!
You probably won't get sick. I only get sick on the motion simulator rides and spinning rides. I've ridden GOTG 6 times now and have never felt an inkling of motion sickness. People get motion sickness from different types of movement. Since you mentioned the spinning rides giving you problems, you probably have the same type of motion sickness as I do. GOTG is just up and down.

My teens (14 and 18) never had a problem with ToT and loved GotG too. They thought GotG was more intense overall. I can't do Teacups and the Grizzly spinning someone mentioned seems to be worse than I remembered. (It couldn't just be me getting old, could it? ) My experience with both ToT and GotG was that I could do one okay, two sometimes (if I hadn't eaten!) but definitely not three in a row on either. The oddest thing was that four of the songs were okay. But one (The Funk) didn't make me nauseated at all, even when I did two in a row and got the same song for both. But another (Hit Me with Your Best Shot) made me queasy each time - we got that one three times and it was the same effect each time. And it didn't even seem to be as intense as the others. Odd! Has anyone else noticed different sensations with different songs?

You probably won't get sick. I only get sick on the motion simulator rides and spinning rides. I've ridden GOTG 6 times now and have never felt an inkling of motion sickness. People get motion sickness from different types of movement. Since you mentioned the spinning rides giving you problems, you probably have the same type of motion sickness as I do. GOTG is just up and down.

Oh, that makes me feel better--ToT terrified me, but didn't make me motion sick like Star Tours does. Still iffy on the screens contributing, so maybe some dramamine beforehand wouldn't hurt anyway. It took me 6 trips to get up the nerve to try ToT in Florida, and I was hoping to try Guardians in November! And then probably be done with both of them. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter