• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mother with RA

Tege

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We are getting ready to head to the World in 2 weeks and I gave a few questions. My Mom has pretty bad Rheumatoid Arthritis so she will be using an ECV at the parks. She's used one on past visits when her RA wasn't as bad and she would always park the scooter and go through the regular line. This trip that just isn't gong to be possible. We really don't have any experience using the handicap acessible entrances/lines. She simply can't walk up a lot of stairs or even ramps nor can she stand for extended periods of time. Will she need a DAS or will the CMs automatically direct her to the handicap entrance. Also is there a list or rides where you can take your ECV through the regular line? I just want to go smoothl and for my Mom to enjoy this trip with her 5 yr old granddaughter.

Thanks for any help/advice!!!

_She doesn't need a DAS. The CMs will show her where to go. Better yet, pick up a guidebook/map for guests with disabilities from Guest Relations.

_There is a FAQ sticky at the top of this page that should answer a lot of your questions about rides and accessibility.

I have osteo arthritis and between December and March this year I was in a lot of pain and discomfort due to the cold. I wasn't prepared to ruin the holiday and hired an ECV - and it was the best thing I could have done. It meant I was able to manage those few queues which couldn't accommodate the ECV on my walking stick and also use the stick to transfer onto the rides from the ECV once inside.

You won't qualify for a DAS, so make full use of your past passes. On the few rides where you go in via an alternative entrance (eg BTM and Haunted Mansion) they ask you to park up by the exit and you go in that way.

Just be aware that your mum will NOT be allowed to give her GD a lift on the ECV!

We are leaving for WDW in eight weeks. This will be a special trip for our family ( 12 of us ! ). My daughter, 39, has ALS and we want her to see her 2 yr old & 5 yr old boys enjoy the 'Happiest Place on Earth'. Thsi will be our first trip with an ECV and I would like to know how accessible the shops and exhibits will be for her. Thank you !! And any other tips would be appreciated..!

_She doesn't need a DAS. The CMs will show her where to go. Better yet, pick up a guidebook/map for guests with disabilities from Guest Relations.

_There is a FAQ sticky at the top of this page that should answer a lot of your questions about rides and accessibility.

Thank you!

I have osteo arthritis and between December and March this year I was in a lot of pain and discomfort due to the cold. I wasn't prepared to ruin the holiday and hired an ECV - and it was the best thing I could have done. It meant I was able to manage those few queues which couldn't accommodate the ECV on my walking stick and also use the stick to transfer onto the rides from the ECV once inside.

You won't qualify for a DAS, so make full use of your past passes. On the few rides where you go in via an alternative entrance (eg BTM and Haunted Mansion) they ask you to park up by the exit and you go in that way.

Just be aware that your mum will NOT be allowed to give her GD a lift on the ECV!

Thanks for the reply. Yes she knows and so does my daughter that she can't ride on the ECV. We've been several times in the last few years and my Mom has always rented a scooter. This is just the first time that she won't be able to manage the climb out of Its a Small World or stand for any amount of time. In previous trips she always parked and walked through the normal line. She just needed the scooter for extended walking all day but her RA has gotten worse in the last 6 months.

Ok I've read the FAQs but I'm still a little confused. We've never needed any kind of accommodations before (thankfully) so this is all new. For the rides that are not mainstreamed (ex Big Thunder Mt RR) would my Mom be issued a return window even without a DAS? TIA!

We are leaving for WDW in eight weeks. This will be a special trip for our family ( 12 of us ! ). My daughter, 39, has ALS and we want her to see her 2 yr old & 5 yr old boys enjoy the 'Happiest Place on Earth'. Thsi will be our first trip with an ECV and I would like to know how accessible the shops and exhibits will be for her. Thank you !! And any other tips would be appreciated..!

I hope very much that your daughter and her boys have a magical time.

From previous visits most of the shops can be maneuvered in (seen a lot of ECVs there). There are some areas that can get tight especially if it's really crowded. Also if you use the buses make sure your family goes to the handicap entrance at each stop. Usually to the left. Your entire family can wait with her and wheelchairs and ECVs and their party are boarded first. I. The past I've heard some rude comments from other riders acting like we were cutting line or something. But some times if there were other wheelchairs or ECVs we might have to wait for the next bus even if seats were available because there are a limited number of spaces that can accommodate an ECV.

Enjoy your trip and good wishes to you family.

Tege, thank you for your kind words. This is helpful since I'm trying to plan everything to go smoothly for her. And since there are going to be 12 of us, maybe we should split our bus rides to avoid any comments that would make her uncomfortable !!

Ok I've read the FAQs but I'm still a little confused. We've never needed any kind of accommodations before (thankfully) so this is all new. For the rides that are not mainstreamed (ex Big Thunder Mt RR) would my Mom be issued a return window even without a DAS? TIA!

If your mom is using an ECV and has no other issues to accommodate, she will not be issued a DAS. She can take the ECV through the queues. There are a few queues (mainly at MK) with a separate accessible entrance -- at these attractions, when you approach the regular entrance she will be directed accordingly. It is possible they may be using "wheelchair return cards" in which case she'll be given a card with a time to return -- much like a fastpass. However, these are not always in use at WDW so you'll have to see when you arrive. Wheelchair return cards are completely separate from the DAS.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would definitely plan on splitting up for the buses. Most bus drivers won't let more than 5 or 6 other members of a party load with someone using a wheelchair or ECV. If you really want all 12 to ride in the same bus, I'd expect to have to wait for the second bus. If that doesn't matter, then you'd just split up with some going in the regular line and some with your mother.

You should also plan that you'll probably have to split up for any rides with an alternate entrance. I think there's also a limit on how many party members they'll let through with one wheelchair/ECV user when there's an alternate entrance. I definitely wouldn't expect them to let 12 people through all together. Since most rides actually do have mainstreamed lines it probably won't be a huge issue, but I wanted to mention it.

I would definitely plan on splitting up for the buses. Most bus drivers won't let more than 5 or 6 other members of a party load with someone using a wheelchair or ECV. If you really want all 23 to ride in the same bus, I'd expect to have to wait for the second bus. If that doesn't matter, then you'd just split up with some going in the regular line and some with your mother.

You should also plan that you'll probably have to split up for any rides with an alternate entrance. I think there's also a limit on how many party members they'll let through with one wheelchair/ECV user when there's an alternate entrance. I definitely wouldn't expect them to let 12 people through all together. Since most rides actually do have mainstreamed lines it probably won't be a huge issue, but I wanted to mention it.

It Disney rules and policy not to let more then 6 people though the back door it posted at all resort bus stops. Some drivers might allow a couple more but none will allow 12 all the other guest will complain and cause the drivers problems.

It Disney rules and policy not to let more then 6 people though the back door it posted at all resort bus stops. Some drivers might allow a couple more but none will allow 23 all the other guest will complain and cause the drivers problems. That why Disney had to put that policy in place because they for tired or all the complaints.

There was a typo in the post you quoted - the OP's party is 12 people (not 23).

Your point still stands though - the rule is 6 and 12 is a lot more than that. I would expect to split up.

There was a typo in the post you quoted - the OP's party is 12 people (not 23).

Your point still stands though - the rule is 6 and 12 is a lot more than that. I would expect to split up.

Sorry my fault maybe the op could find another 11 people to go with :). Thanks sorry for that I should of read the op.

Sorry my fault maybe the op could find another 11 people to go with :). Thanks sorry for that I should of read the op.

No need to apologize at all! I just wanted to make it clear that, even with 12 people, they'll need to split up when lining up for the bus.

I only checked through the other posts because the post you quoted had both "12" and "23" and it confused me. Totally easy typo to have been made.

I'd also point out that you can't take a party of 12 through an alternative entrance. The maximum party size is 6. At BTM, for example, DD and I went in via the exit where we had to wait and be put in the rear 'carriage' of the train from the opposite side from the loading side. We rode both times using a FP+ so both times we were handed a special chitty by the CM at the return gate so that we didn't have to wait long to be loaded. I don't know how it works if you would be going via the standby queue.

I just wanted to add an additional note about the Haunted Mansion.

The alternative entrance that Toffeewoffy mentions isn’t the entrance to the building; it’s just the entrance to the load area.

You stay in your ECV as you go through the outdoor queue, through the indoor foyer, and into the preshow in the stretching portrait gallery. Once that’s over, while everyone else walks down one corridor to the load area, you drive down another corridor to an exit, park your ECV outside, then re-enter the building through the main exit and board your ride vehicle in the unload area.

Technically, the CM’s there have it within their discretion to allow you to skip the whole foyer/stretching gallery rigmarole, but it’s practically unheard of for them to do so ever since it was made wheelchair accessible. I’ve never successfully persuaded them to do it, and my visual impairment makes it unsafe for me to go through there at the low light levels they have. So you really can’t go in there counting on it.

When I’m using an ECV for the rest of the park, the HM is one ride where I park it outside and go through on foot. If your mother might have any problems driving an ECV through cramped spaces in the dark, she may want to consider doing the same, or having someone steer it for her. Or, maybe someone in the group could borrow a manual wheelchair from another ride as you pass by just to use for the HM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter