Most missed Platinum perk?

We have received our free Palo meal 3 times post covid. That perk has not been removed.

I think that the pp who was complaining about it meant that he/she was unable to secure a reservation to Palo on the Wish due to so many concierge cruisers getting first dibbs at booking. There was nothing left even for Platinum cruisers, which is unusual.
While the increase in concierge numbers surely plays a role in availability, I also think the shortage in staff is a big part of the problem as well. I have gotten the impression this is a common problem for many businesses these days.
I also think part of the frustration and resentment comes from seeing availability for Palo reservations online but being unable to book because you are only a party of two.

I have one more cruise booked (due to a 50% discount from DCL canceling my first Wish cruise), but after that, I am very doubtful we will sail DCL again... we have already started trying other cruise lines...

It might not make a difference, but I sent an email to DCL about the platinum PAT. Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line.

I sincerely regret the disappointment you have expressed. It is not our intent to upset our loyal Disney Cruise Line Guests.

Your thoughtfulness in sharing your observations with ways we can improve our cruise experience is much appreciated.

Input from our Guests is a valuable tool in determining ways we can make their visits more convenient and enjoyable. This is very important to us, as we are committed to offering a cruise experience that meets the Disney standards of excellence and provides the type of magical vacation our Guests have come to expect.

Although we may not have an opportunity to provide any feedback, please be assured, your thoughts will be shared with management.

If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

While the increase in concierge numbers surely plays a role in availability, I also think the shortage in staff is a big part of the problem as well. I have gotten the impression this is a common problem for many businesses these days.
I also think part of the frustration and resentment comes from seeing availability for Palo reservations online but being unable to book because you are only a party of two.

I have one more cruise booked (due to a 50% discount from DCL canceling my first Wish cruise), but after that, I am very doubtful we will sail DCL again... we have already started trying other cruise lines...
What other lines are you trying? Asking for a friend. 😃

What other lines are you trying? Asking for a friend. 😃
We sailed Princess in 2016 on their British Isles cruise (half the price of DCL so we were able to afford to take our college age kids) and Royal Caribbean in 2018 (able to sail with friends who refuse to sail DCL again due to price).

We really love DCL, but the cost difference with other cruise lines is increasing and the perks are decreasing.
Planning to try a river cruise at some point, something like Viking.

We sailed Princess in 2016 on their British Isles cruise (half the price of DCL so we were able to afford to take our college age kids) and Royal Caribbean in 2018 (able to sail with friends who refuse to sail DCL again due to price).

We really love DCL, but the cost difference with other cruise lines is increasing and the perks are decreasing.
Planning to try a river cruise at some point, something like Viking.
Hmmm…
Interesting. We are booked for our 2nd WBPC but we’re having 2nd thoughts and considering switching to the British Isles cruise.
How was Princess? They are owned by Carnival Corp which makes me a bit leery.

Definitely miss not having to book a PAT time. Having to get on the computer at midnight just to try and secure an early PAT time and then having issues with the entire online check in process before securing the PAT time is ridiculous. The fact that other than for these Disboards, DCL does not have a detailed check list of what is needed prior to actually logging on for online checkin is just shameful.

As for PALO's I was able to secure a brunch time when I logged on at midnight for 2. Just got lucky with that I guess. Probably going to cancel PALO's anyway as it is not the same without the buffet for us and not sure we want to get dressed up for brunch for a couple of hours in the morning especially on the new ship where we would rather be enjoying/exploring the ship.

I think when PALO's is unavailable for platinum members because of concierge guests than Disney has gone too far because this also means that the majority of the guests (not concierge or platinum) basically have no shot of getting a reservation for PALO's brunch or dinner. I think that maybe some percentage of reservations should be held back to allow others to secure PALO reservations and also maybe there should be a concierge level dining experience in addition to the other specialty restaurants to take the pressure off of PALO. Having concierge level guests should not mean locking other guests out from taking full advantage of what the cruise offers.
All of this, for sure!

Hmmm…
Interesting. We are booked for our 2nd WBPC but we’re having 2nd thoughts and considering switching to the British Isles cruise.
How was Princess? They are owned by Carnival Corp which makes me a bit leery.
The Princess British Isles cruise was very different from our EBPC on DCL. Very port intensive. I want to say 9 ports with 2 sea days. This made the ship itself less important because we spent so many days ashore. I do know a friend I made on cruise critic had a more relaxing time because she stayed on the ship on the first and last port day because it was raining.
While it was a disappointing experience that day we boarded the Princess ship (kind of bland without the Disney magic), we found it started to grow on us as the trip progressed. Our cabins were clean and comfortable and had tons of storage. The atrium was pretty, had good live music and the specialty dining was good and in some cases great. So mad I didn't try their pizza until the last day because that was awesome! We also managed to get a special perk when we booked as they were giving away free alcohol drink packages to those booking verandahs. I would definitely sail Princess again for port intensive trips like the British Isles.
When we priced DCL's British Isles cruise that year our verandah cabin for 2 was $12,000 and when I looked at Princess it was approximately half that for a verandah cabin for almost the same itinerary. We had an amazing time with our kids and so glad we went with Princess.

I thought I would share our platinum experience this weekend on the Wish. We had spent a couple of days at Disney World and took DCL transfers to the port. We were boarding group number four, no idea why. Decided to go to Luna to see if we couldn’t get brunch or dinner at Palo. Were told that we were first on the waiting list for brunch, but were never called. We were able to book dinner, although didn’t care for the style of the restaurant as much as on the classic ships. The food was excellent. We did not get off the ship in Nassau as we wanted to explore the Wish, and were up in the hero zone area, which is near Palo, around brunch time. Saw a couple with gold KTTW cards, and overheard them say to another couple “oh we have brunch reservations let’s see if they can fit you in”. They came back out in a moment and said come with us they can take you also. I understand that having a table for two people is not the same as adding two people to a table, but it did not sit well.

Last edited:
I thought I would share our platinum experience this weekend on the Wish. We had spent a couple of days at Disney World and took DCL transfers to the port. We were boarding group number four, no idea why. Decided to go to Luna to see if we couldn’t get brunch or dinner at Palo. Were told that we were first on the waiting list for brunch, but were never called. We were able to book dinner, although didn’t care for the style of the restaurant as much as on the classic ships. The food was excellent. We did not get off the ship in Nassau as we wanted to explore the Wish, and were up in the hero zone area, which is near Palo, around brunch time. Saw a couple with gold KTTW cards, and overheard them say to another couple “oh we have brunch reservations let’s see if they can fit you in”. They came back out in a moment and said come with us they can take you also. I understand that having a table for two people is not the same as adding two people to a table, but it did not sit well.
this doesn't surprise me. The Wish (and maybe the future of DCL?) seems to be all about the $$$ and concierge spending. The Wish was a one and done for me unless prices come down AND public spaces open way up.......

It might not make a difference, but I sent an email to DCL about the platinum PAT. Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line.

I sincerely regret the disappointment you have expressed. It is not our intent to upset our loyal Disney Cruise Line Guests.

Your thoughtfulness in sharing your observations with ways we can improve our cruise experience is much appreciated.

Input from our Guests is a valuable tool in determining ways we can make their visits more convenient and enjoyable. This is very important to us, as we are committed to offering a cruise experience that meets the Disney standards of excellence and provides the type of magical vacation our Guests have come to expect.

Although we may not have an opportunity to provide any feedback, please be assured, your thoughts will be shared with management.

If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.
Good for you. More people should complain. I'll be platinum after my next two cruises and hope that by then they'll have scrapped PATs for platinums- it's a very tiresome part of the cruise planning and embarkation experience. As for DCL's response...at least they didn't mention "industry standards".

We have observed the same. Friends who have similar status on other lines receive discounts, free lounges, and other perks. And then get me started on DCL's 'lazy' system of simply counting sailings. We have been DCL Platinum for some time now. DCL does NOT value loyalty to any level whatsoever as other lines. We had two DCL cruises canceled during the virus adjustments, and started looking at WISH, well, just because. Started scouring the DisBoards like I used to.
Having a hard time booking PALO? Not able to secure a PAT earlier ? Just absurd.
Coupled with the reports on here of lessened service, food quality, etc., we're holding off. We have become disappointed in WDW visits, but had hopes for DCL to remain worth the not insubstantial extra cost. Not only "What would Walt do?", but "What would Karl (Holzinger), former Pres. of DCL, do ?
Sorry for the long (ranting, admittedly) post. In answer to the OP, IF we were to book, absolutely a full, leisurely PALO brunch would be what we missed. Without having to hurry upon embarkation to wherever the dining team was to hopefully secure a reservation.
The issues with Palo are only issues on the Wish. I've sailed both Magic and Fantasy since reopening with no issue getting reservations for anything I wanted at Palo and Remy, and I sailed as a non-concierge gold. I just booked a Dream cruise for next month, so booked activities very late in the game, and had no problem booking Palo and Remy dinner on the nights of my choice.

Service and food were as good as ever on my post-Covid Magic and Fantasy sailings. I'm going to avoid the Wish, due to the descriptions I've read of its layout and theatre shows, as well as its overall offerings being so skewed towards concierge.

Last edited:
Having more guest pay for Palo vs giving the meals away for free to the Platinum guest was probably a added bonus in the back of their mind with the Wish. They knew what they were doing.

We have received our free Palo meal 3 times post covid. That perk has not been removed.

I think that the pp who was complaining about it meant that he/she was unable to secure a reservation to Palo on the Wish due to so many concierge cruisers getting first dibbs at booking. There was nothing left even for Platinum cruisers, which is unusual.

It all depends on the cruise you're on.

We got Palo dinner with no problem on the Thanksgiving Fantasy sailing and we are only Gold level. Didn't try to book brunch because without the buffet, I am just not interested.

One thing I don't see Platinum cruisers complaining about is that DCL uses # of cruises to determine your CC level, while it is popular in the industry to use # of nights. We have been on 8 DCL cruises, but a total of 57 nights. Add in our Fantasy cruise coming up and that will be 64 nights at 9 cruises, and still not Platinum, but probably more nights than many Platinum cruisers with 10 cruises.

I so miss being able to not worry about a PAT. This is silly that it's not reinstated; it doesn't cost them a dime.
Not only that but pretty much all Covid related things are gone so it’s time to bring it back!! Especially since I have to do my online check in at midnight tonight 🤣🤣🤣
It is really a bummer that they took away so many perks. It takes a long time to make Platinum when we only cruise every couple of years. We finally made Platinum and then COVID hit, so have not been able to cruise as Platinum yet. For me, it was the not having to have a port arrival time and dh is just about the black lanyard! Hoping they at least still have those! I am not that jazzed to even cruise anymore because it seems service and perks have gone down, I keep telling my dh if he wants a black lanyard so bad, I will check etsy! LOL
And I agree with dcasseta, if they can't even give us a Palo meal, then give us onboard credit. I know that sounds snarky and petty to even worry about these things, but after spending so much money and giving loyalty to DCL, it would be nice to have some reciprocated.
if you want some Platinum lanyards let me know! I have #24 coming up soon so, I’ll get another set!

One thing I don't see Platinum cruisers complaining about is that DCL uses # of cruises to determine your CC level, while it is popular in the industry to use # of nights. We have been on 8 DCL cruises, but a total of 57 nights. Add in our Fantasy cruise coming up and that will be 64 nights at 9 cruises, and still not Platinum, but probably more nights than many Platinum cruisers with 10 cruises.
I wondered about this as well. But the industry also offers better loyalty incentives and better discounts than DCL. Guess DCL just wants to stand out from the pack? :rolleyes2

Not only that but pretty much all Covid related things are gone so it’s time to bring it back!! Especially since I have to do my online check in at midnight tonight 🤣🤣🤣

if you want some Platinum lanyards let me know! I have #24 coming up soon so, I’ll get another set!
PLEASE send an email to DCL to complain. We need every Platinum CC guest to complain so that they might reinstate this benefit. I understand taking away a benefit because of an emergency like COVID, but the right thing to do is reinstate the benefit at this point.

Re Platinum vs other cruise line loyalty levels. I do not think it is a fair comparison on any level. I certainly don't want to have to spend $200,000 or more to say that I am in the pinnacle club (700 points) where 1 point equals one night the base level. Yes you get more benefits but you paid for them over and over again so no comparison to Platinum which is a totally different form of loyalty recognition. I look at the levels on Disney as primarily nothing more than a way to recognize repeat cruisers by allowing them to book cruises or planning a few days sooner than cruisers at lower levels. I believe as far as the levels go it is a way for Disney to be more inclusive rather than exclusive. DCL is also run differently in that they offer many more shorter cruises than the other cruise lines so families can experience cruising and the parks in one vacation.

I personally am happy with the loyalty levels on DCL with the exception of the fact that more recently they seem to be trying to woo and cater to Concierge to the point of neglecting their bread and butter guests which brings us back to loosing Platinum perks such as not having to select a PAT time or unable to book PALO, one of the few perks given to us besides early booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter