Most historic spots to see at Disneyland?

33Legend

Mouseketeer
I love history and would love to know any historic spots to see at Disneyland. I know the spot above the fire departmant was walt's apartment. Any other tools of some spots to see? Thanks!

The Dominguez Family tree

http://duchessofdisneyland.com/disneyland/the-dominguez-tree/

From that website:
"
This tree’s story begins in 1896, almost 60 years before Disneyland’s opening. Before Disneyland became a magic kingdom, the land was home to massive orange groves. On this farm land, a farm belonging to the Dominguez family stretched across 10 acres, roughly in today’s New Orleans Square.

The last owner of this farm, Ron Dominguez, asked Walt and his Imagineers to spare one tree on the family land. This massive palm tree was planted in 1896, as a wedding gift to Ron’s grandparents. Disney spared the tree, building the Jungle Cruise boathouse around its towering trunk."

When you walk over the drawbridge to Sleeping Beauty's castle, look down for a golden spike as you enter Fantasyland. This was a surveyor mark used to designate the center of the park when being built according to some (which would no longer be true do the addition of ToonTown), others state is was to center Main Street to the Castle.

Over by the Main Street Lockers is the Test Brick Wall. This wall was basically made so that as the Imagineers were choosing bricks for Main Street USA’s façades, they used different types of brick to see how the finished product would look. Another spot is Snow WHtie's Grotto on the right side of the castle. It's a small spot that has the wishing well (complete with the song "I'm Wishing" from the movie). ALso in the grpotto are statues of Snow White and the dwarves.

When you walk over the drawbridge to Sleeping Beauty's castle, look down for a golden spike as you enter Fantasyland. This was a surveyor mark used to designate the center of the park when being built according to some (which would no longer be true do the addition of ToonTown), others state is was to center Main Street to the Castle.
It never was the center of the park if you look at the original topographical map :) However, it *is* marking a center--the center of Main Street, USA, used to line up the center of the castle, the hub, Town Square, and the train station.

If you happen to have a spare 4 hours and $110, I'd really recommend the Walk In Walt's Disneyland Footsteps tour. 3 hours (plus lunch) of history and interesting facts. I'm a pretty hardy fan of Disneyland, and I learned a lot!

I loved the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour, too! Highly recommend. We saw the Dream Suite which I was concerned about, bc I had hoped to see Walt’s Apartment which has been on the tour in the past (I believe that may be back on the tour again?), but it was just excellent and I have no regrets. Worth the $$.

I wish Disneyland still offered more tours, as they used to.

Back in May the tour was for Walt's apartment. If you want history I too recommend the walk in Walt's footsteps - GREAT tour.

Some of the original attractions from the 1955 opening:
  • Storybook Land
  • Casey Jr. Railroad
  • Tea Cups (although it has been moved)
  • Dumbo (also moved)
  • Peter Pan
  • Snow White's Scary Adventure (although it was modified)
  • King Arthur's Carousel (moved)
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Cinema on Main Street
  • Penny Arcade (although the contents have changed)
  • Autopia (Although there used to be two, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Some time back they merged them into one.)
  • Magic Shop on Main Street
  • Frontierland Shooting Gallery
  • Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland
  • Sleeping Beauty's Castle (the walk through was added later)
  • The Railroad
  • Mark Twain Riverboat
  • The Columbia
There are probably more.

Go to the entrance of the Opera House to see Walt's bench -- this is the bench where he used to sit while watching his girls ride the Griffith Park carousel. This is where he thought of the idea of a place where parents and their kids could go and ride together to spend the day. Also, the lobby of the Opera House has a great exhibit of Disneyland history. Make sure to watch the short film from the 50th anniversary with Steve Martin!

If you have a car and the time, a drive out to the Griffith Park Carousel, the Disney grave, and the Disney Barn (LA live steamers) are great places to visit on a day off from the park. I know it's not in Disneyland, but it is interesting for the Disney fan. I also have visited the studios and Walt's addresses. Head to the Hollywood walk of fame as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter