• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

more mosquitos?

markpenske

Mouseketeer
Past trips we were amazed at the small amount of mosquitos at Disney World. We were told Disney goes to great lengths to control the bugs. But our trip my whole family had lots of mosquito bites. Maybe another cost cutting measure by WDW?

I have gotten more bites at WDW this year than in all my past trips combined. I feel it’s a cost cutting measure too.

I’m not sure how you come to that kind of conclusion without some evidence. It seems to be a popular idea to bash Disney and blame any negative experience on cost cutting. Bugs exist and it isn’t Disney’s fault. I have no idea of what their abatement program is nor the cost. Without having this understanding it’s just Disney bashing without any supporting information.

Here is an analogy. I waited for the bus three times last trip and the bus was later than last time. Is it cost cutting or some other factor? I don’t believe that you can make the connection without all of the information.

You just got sweeter.
And this is somehow Disney’s fault? Did you travel the same exact path, same exact locations? Same weather etc…

I can’t see that the earth is round from here so it must be flat?

And this is somehow Disney’s fault? Did you travel the same exact path, same exact locations? Same weather etc…

I can’t see that the earth is round from here so it must be flat?
Think you quoted me on accident. :)

pretty simple
past trips = less bites
current trip = more bites.
As magical as Disney is, they cannot control nature entirely. Could be the more favorable weather conditions for increased bugs...could be they altered their abatement program...could be you were somewhere more prone to mosquitoes on the last trip vs this one etc. Who knows. For me, I've always had some level of mosquito bites at WDW for the entire time it has been open. So abatement program or not bugs will do what bugs do, and that's bug people -- hence the name ;) We go three weeks per year typically and over the past three weeks (Aug 21, Dec 21 and Mar 22) I haven't noticed any big increase that wasn't unexpected for some reason. For example, walking the pathway between the Grand and MK at dusk or after dark is a mosquito spot for me -- but the forest is right there and so is the weedy lake shore, so I wouldn't expect there not to be any.

Since they don't spray, I believe most of Disney's mosquito prevention stuff is passive.

In other news, apples were more expensive at my grocery this seek. Must be because disney is cutting costs.

I was there at the end of May and didn’t get bit once that I could tell. I‘m thinking they increased spending….

Here now and agree with the OP. Now it could be this weather (insane heat) but we’ve had a similar experience. We visit multiple times per year and never used to get bit. And I’m one who normally attracts tons of bites if I don’t use repellant. I’ve gotten bit more on trips post-Covid than anytime before. Now we have to bring Off wipes and spray when we didn’t have to worry about it previously. Actually spoke with a management CM who admitted they have cut back on insect control. Not sure how much of that is true, but wanted to share. OP- you are not alone!

Here now and agree with the OP. Now it could be this weather (insane heat) but we’ve had a similar experience. We visit multiple times per year and never used to get bit. And I’m one who normally attracts tons of bites if I don’t use repellant. I’ve gotten bit more on trips post-Covid than anytime before. Now we have to bring Off wipes and spray when we didn’t have to worry about it previously. Actually spoke with a management CM who admitted they have cut back on insect control. Not sure how much of that is true, but wanted to share. OP- you are not alone!
We usually use the big bands and wear them on our ankles they must work cuz we have been here all week and not a single bite.

It has rained alot more this year. We NEED the rain for sure, my grass looks so good.
Standing water bred mosquitoes.

I know this is from June, but I searched mosquito bites and this thread came up. I just got back a few days ago and bits started popping up. I was curious to see if others had the same! I didn't feel them at the time, but boy do I have a bunch now. A nice little souvenir :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter