More changes coming to DVC...

I would agree with it having to do with their business and how they operate than anything to do with how DVC operates. The one thing I could see them doing is getting into the Rental Game since DVC does have some intention of manipulating the resale market (their bread and butter) so going into DVC rentals should sustain their business model a bit I would assume.

That makes sense to me. It seems like most of the resale brokers are getting into the rental game. Hopefully that will put some upward pressure on the prices that owners can rent out their points for.

Disney cannot change O14 resale in any meaningful way at this point. The key to the "changes" for Riviera is that they are all a part of how Riviera is being declared and is joining BVT. They can't change the O14 retroactively in that sense.

It wouldn’t be retroactive if it applied to all new resale purchases of the L14 going forward and not looking backwards. I can see the legal challenges to them enacting something like this, but they’ve laughed in the face of legal improprieties already. Until someone takes legal action against them, they’ll keep on doing whatever they want completely unchecked, it seems. I’m not saying they can do it, but I’m saying they’re definitely looking into it, and trying to figure it a way to do it.

That makes sense to me. It seems like most of the resale brokers are getting into the rental game. Hopefully that will put some upward pressure on the prices that owners can rent out their points for.
Any bets on what Disney targets next?

As far as the rumor initially suggested in this thread. The one thing my guide kept saying is that there might be a change in the way you get points when you buy direct in June. What I gathered, he was suggesting, was if you were adding on and did so after the banking deadline you would have two options 1) buy into the following Use Year or 2) get the current Use Year but because you are past the banking deadline they would have to be utilized or expire (no longer allowing exceptions here). I thought this seemed far fetched and not even sure why they would do this as it would be removing an incentive to buying Direct. I felt it was obviously fiction

It was odd that it was even brought up because it wouldn't effect me either way because of when I was planning on making a purchase if I did so. But then again guides like to make stuff up all the time to get a sale.

Last edited:
Disney cannot change O14 resale in any meaningful way at this point. The key to the "changes" for Riviera is that they are all a part of how Riviera is being declared and is joining BVT. They can't change the O14 retroactively in that sense.
Thank goodness I'm an old owner, resale and direct. I'm very happy with my home resorts and the ability to trade into 14 other resorts.

Thank goodness I'm an old owner, resale and direct. I'm very happy with my home resorts and the ability to trade into 14 other resorts.
And as an old owner, you can still stay at Riviera if you want too...it's just new resale buyers who can't.

It wouldn’t be retroactive if it applied to all new resale purchases of the L14 going forward and not looking backwards. I can see the legal challenges to them enacting something like this, but they’ve laughed in the face of legal improprieties already. Until someone takes legal action against them, they’ll keep on doing whatever they want completely unchecked, it seems. I’m not saying they can do it, but I’m saying they’re definitely looking into it, and trying to figure it a way to do it.

They can't do that, though. The issue is how the points are declared into the association. They can change UY, but they can't change how the resort was declared into BVT. Literally, it is the resort that has a relationship with BVT, not the individual owner.

Because Riviera is being declared with specific rules, they can restrict resale into BVT. They cannot retroactively do that with the previously-declared resorts. They would have to dissolve BVT entirely and have each resort join under new terms. While possible, that is huge, expensive and not something they could manage under the radar, especially since it touches VGC and Aulani and thus CA and HI state laws around timeshares.

They can't do that, though. The issue is how the points are declared into the association. They can change UY, but they can't change how the resort was declared into BVT. Literally, it is the resort that has a relationship with BVT, not the individual owner.

Because Riviera is being declared with specific rules, they can restrict resale into BVT. They cannot retroactively do that with the previously-declared resorts. They would have to dissolve BVT entirely and have each resort join under new terms. While possible, that is huge, expensive and not something they could manage under the radar, especially since it touches VGC and Aulani and thus CA and HI state laws around timeshares.

I hear you, but many said they couldn’t make a substantial change to a new resort’s trading ability and still have it be part of the club. They would need to put it to a vote. No vote happened, and Riviera has been admitted to the club with substantially different trading rights. I’m not saying it’s legal or right, I’m just saying they’re pretty much doing whatever they want to these days, so we should all brace ourselves in case it happens.

FTR, I agree that they can’t do it for legal reasons, but it hasn’t stopped them yet.

I hear you, but many said they couldn’t make a substantial change to a new resort’s trading ability and still have it be part of the club. They would need to put it to a vote. No vote happened, and Riviera has been admitted to the club with substantially different trading rights. I’m not saying it’s legal or right, I’m just saying they’re pretty much doing whatever they want to these days, so we should all brace ourselves in case it happens.

FTR, I agree that they can’t do it for legal reasons, but it hasn’t stopped them yet.
Allowing an entrance on different terms was always legal. The issue is more changing terms on resorts already in.

Once you throw in Aulani and VGC it gets very messy fast.

I’m sure DVCRM is going to announce a podcast or something. This happened a few years ago with one company, I can’t remember which, and the announcement was silly. Maybe they’re merging with another company or something. They specifically said it didn’t have to do with Riviera. :(
I think a merger is the most likely, maybe getting in on the rental market. I thought I saw
A posting from one of the big rental players that the owner was retiring. Who knows...guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I think a merger is the most likely, maybe getting in on the rental market. I thought I saw
A posting from one of the big rental players that the owner was retiring. Who knows...guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I said rental and they said no...

I’m sure DVCRM is going to announce a podcast or something. This happened a few years ago with one company, I can’t remember which, and the announcement was silly. Maybe they’re merging with another company or something. They specifically said it didn’t have to do with Riviera. :(

Didn't David's do something like that when they started booking Cruises for points a couple years ago? I do remember something and yes, it was an exciting expansion for the company but not about DVC like people were speculating.

Allowing an entrance on different terms was always legal.

According to this post by Drusba, no it's not. I've also read the report of a call with Yvonne's dept. (sorry I cannot remember by whom, maybe Madame), in which the DVC representative said that Riviera entered the club in a way that is equivalent to the other resorts, so it's allowed. To me, it doesn't seem equivalent at all.

And as an old owner, you can still stay at Riviera if you want too...it's just new resale buyers who can't.
Yeah I get that, what I meant was, this would be a dilemma for me if I was buying now.
ETA: Possibly this will be an incentive for direct purchasers of Riviera to just hold on to their contracts since they still have the same rights as the L14. We might not see many contracts go up for sale. Is that DVC's strategy? Time will tell.

Didn't David's do something like that when they started booking Cruises for points a couple years ago? I do remember something and yes, it was an exciting expansion for the company but not about DVC like people were speculating.

That’s what I was thinking about. Thank you. :)

Free Dining is back at WDW, so maybe they were reporting on that development? Seems many people speculated it would not come back this year.

Who is retiring?

If you are able to actually get into Riviera. I am thinking with the owners there, direct and resale, especially the resale owners, will you have a chance unless you own there? The resale owners won't be able to trade out into the L14 so how many rooms are going to be available at 7 months out for those who have eligible points to trade into there? Am I missing something here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter