more annual pass questions

Canadave

DIS Veteran
I'm planning on purchasing an annual pass for our trip in October. I want to wait as long as possible, hoping the Canadian dollar exchange rate picks up! But I want to buy it before there is a price increase...so...
1. do I just link the AP with My Disney Experience when I purchase it, even though the AP is not activated until we arrive...which could be many months?
2. if so, can I choose my fast passes before officially activating my AP when we arrive at WDW?
3. what do I have to do to start using my AP? I've read that it is in the form of a voucher. Can I change this voucher at my resort?
4. is the AP linked to my Magic Band that I pick up when we get to the resort? We are in Canada, so the don't mail us the Magic Bands. We have to pick them up at our resort when we check in.
5. do I start to receive the Passholder newsletter when I buy the AP or after the first day that I use the AP?
6. It's hard to understand some of the discounts on the Disney site. Are World of Disney, Art of Disney and Mickey's Pantry, all in Disney Springs, included in the AP discount program? Also Mouse Gear in Epcot?
...and finally...
7. Memory maker question...are all pictures from my family (that will be linked on MDE) going to appear in my account? ie. if one of my daughters is in another park than I am, and has a picture taken, will it be included with my free pictures?
Sorry for being so long, but I've been saving up these AP questions for a while

I'm planning on purchasing an annual pass for our trip in October. I want to wait as long as possible, hoping the Canadian dollar exchange rate picks up! But I want to buy it before there is a price increase...so...
1. do I just link the AP with My Disney Experience when I purchase it, even though the AP is not activated until we arrive...which could be many months?
2. if so, can I choose my fast passes before officially activating my AP when we arrive at WDW?
3. what do I have to do to start using my AP? I've read that it is in the form of a voucher. Can I change this voucher at my resort?
4. is the AP linked to my Magic Band that I pick up when we get to the resort? We are in Canada, so the don't mail us the Magic Bands. We have to pick them up at our resort when we check in.
5. do I start to receive the Passholder newsletter when I buy the AP or after the first day that I use the AP?
6. It's hard to understand some of the discounts on the Disney site. Are World of Disney, Art of Disney and Mickey's Pantry, all in Disney Springs, included in the AP discount program? Also Mouse Gear in Epcot?
...and finally...
7. Memory maker question...are all pictures from my family (that will be linked on MDE) going to appear in my account? ie. if one of my daughters is in another park than I am, and has a picture taken, will it be included with my free pictures?
Sorry for being so long, but I've been saving up these AP questions for a while

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Not at a resort. Take a legal photo ID and go to any ticket booth or Guest Relations outside any park, or at TTC, or at DS/DTD.
4. A MagicBand that is linked to your MDE account (example: if you make a WDW resort reservation) will be linked to ANY TICKET (AP, included) that is linked to your MDE account.
5. No idea. That seems to be inconsistent, anyway.
7. All guests linked to your MDE account will see all photos.

5. You don't get the newsletter until you activate the AP at WDW. I bought my current one in November 2014 but did not activate it until December 2015. I just got the first Mickey Monitor.

You will be able to access the AP website after you link the voucher.

6. World of Disney and MouseGears are included. Some Disney Springs stores are excluded, see the list on this website:

http://allears.net/pl/apass.htm#ent

Last edited:
OP, I live in Canada and I had my magic bands mailed to be last year? Mind you, we didn't buy the annual pass last year so not sure if that is the difference?

wow! they must have recently changed the 'mailing magic bands to Canada' policy. My daughter was there in May of last year and they wouldn't mail them to her. Good news then. Thanks all for the answers. I'm really hoping that Art of Disney has a discount....we love that place and always come home with some things from there!

As a general rule, the 10% AP merch discount applies to Disney O/O stores and WDW parks merch. So China & Morocco stores aren't Disney O/O, so they won't do the 10% AP discount. And stores that are Disney O/O, things like gift cards, DVDs, Titlest golf gear, etc aren't included. Stuff like that is often excluded per manufacturers terms for discounts. But almost everything else on property will count. And it never hurts to ask, as some places like Basin may still offer and AP discount, even though they aren't Disney O/O.

When does your year start for annual pass? On date of purchase or date of first use?

It's the day you activate the pass which is typically the first day of use.

I make sure to wear my AP slider on my band and have it facing out. I get asked by CM's all the time if I'm a passholder (by seeing the slider) and then they give me whatever discount applies. Being a first time AP holder, I often forget to ask for the AP discount and this does help!

what's a 'slider'?

Googled it...pretty neat looking! I assume that is what you will get when you 'cash' in your voucher.

Last edited:
wow! they must have recently changed the 'mailing magic bands to Canada' policy. My daughter was there in May of last year and they wouldn't mail them to her. Good news then. Thanks all for the answers. I'm really hoping that Art of Disney has a discount....we love that place and always come home with some things from there!

I wonder if they mail them to Canada for on-site stays, or non AP purchases? And for AP's you have to pick them up there? Because we went in March and did have them mailed. :confused3

Does anyone know if there is an annual passholder's email address for questions or isssues? Or do they have their own guest services spot somewhere in the parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter