Monterey to San Diego with Disney...itinerary help

texasgingerbread

DIS Veteran
**scroll through for updated itinerary dates**

Hi, we are super excited to visit CA! I've done the Big Sur drive before but hubby has not and is really looking forward to it. I know it'll be weather dependent but we are hoping for sunny skies!!

If you have any recommendations and advice I am listening. :) Especially on hotel choices, eating (we're foodies), or things to skip or add with twin boys age 7.

Thursday evening
  1. Land in San Jose 10:00pm
  2. Pickup rental car
  3. Hotel: Four Points by Sheraton Airport

Friday
  1. Drive to Monterey and entire day at Aquarium.
  2. Dinner ?, Ghiradelli for dessert.
  3. Hotel choices: Intercontinental The Clement or Hyatt Regency? Or find something in Carmel?

Saturday
  1. Drive Monterey to Pismo Beach via Highway 1
    • Where is the best way to see BIG redwoods along the way?
    • What time should I leave?
    • If it's raining I need to ditch this plan...options?
  2. Bixby Bridge
  3. Pfeiffer Beach
  4. Lunch at Nepenthe
  5. McWay Falls
  6. Limekiln State Park?? (ditch if not impressive redwoods or see redwoods elsewhere?)
  7. Ragged Point
  8. Seals near San Simeon
  9. Morro Rock (Brown Butter Cookie Co if time)
  10. Gum wall in SLO (only if time and not completely out of way..worth the photo op?)
  11. Drive to Pismo
  12. Dinner?
  13. Hotel: Best Western Plus Shore Cliff Lodge, Pismo Beach
    • About how late do you think this will be with all the stops?
Sunday
  1. Breakfast at Splash Cafe
  2. Spend time in Pismo?
  3. Drive to Santa Barbara
  4. Explore Santa Barbara...not sure yet still need to research
  5. Ditch Highway 1 and drive to Anaheim
    • assume I should leave by 2pm?
  6. Dinner at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles
  7. Return rental car
  8. Check in Homewood Suites
Monday-Friday
  1. Disney!!! 5 day Park Hoppers (res at Minnie's, PTN BB, WOC WCT, Cafe Orleans and if we don't see Stitch at Disney Visa meet we need to add PCH Grill)
Saturday
  1. Sleep in, check out late, possibly PCH Grill for late breakfast
  2. LA
    • El Capitan Theater - Zootopia
      • Do I need to order tickets online if opening weekend?
    • Quick 5 minute photo op hollywood walk of fame,
    • Hollywood sign (3000 Canyon Lake Dr.)
    • Lunch - farmers market? Diablo? El Cholo? Guisados? Langer's Deli? Kogi truck?
    • If time, USS Iowa
  3. Hotel????? Would like decent hotel on close hotel on water since returning to LA the next day.
Sunday
  1. Sleep in
  2. The Donut Man
  3. La Brea Tar Pits (future palentologist on our hands)
    • Live show for kids at 11, 1, 2
    • 3D movie every 30 min
    • How long will this take?
  4. The Last Bookstore (photo op...tunnel of books)
  5. LDS Temple (photo op...Christus statue)
  6. If time, USS Iowa
  7. Hubby leaves out of LAX at 6:00pm
  8. Hotel: LA hotel or transfer to San Diego/Carlsbad/Huntington Beach?
UPDATE: Need to fit whale watch in here on Saturday or Sunday for hubby...need to consolidate LA time. Zootopia is a must for my boys. Maybe do this without hubby after dropping him at LAX? Or def stay in LA Sunday evening and do Zootopia on Monday morning.

Monday - Wednesday
  1. Mom time with kids - options include San Diego Zoo or Safari Park, Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach, Legoland, beach hopping, Catalina, St Regis Monarch Beach, (already been to Coronado, Gas Lamp, Queen Mary, Midway)
  2. Wednesday - fly out of San Diego (can change to SNA depending on where I'm at)
I'm thinking this is really aggressive but we get to come home Wednesday night and have the rest of the week off before returning to school to rest. I just don't know if after being at Disney if I want to be in the zoo or Legoland because of being tired.

Last edited:
Monterey motel. We stayed at the Intercontental Clements 2 years ago. Wow in a heart beat I'd stayed again if I could afford it. Great rooms. Right beside Bubba Gump's, the Pebble Beach store and other shops. Parking is across the street in a parkade. It's right in the middle of the strip and on the water. Everything is very walkable. Loved Monterey.
A lot of your stops on the Saturday were just 5-10 minutes for us but we didn't have kids with us. I thought Morro Bay was a very cute little town. Drive the harbour front and to the base of the rock.

7 year old boys are the perfect age for Legoland.

Don't even get me started on Catalina. It's my absolute favorite in California. Only been to Catalina once for 5 days and have been in So Cal a few dozen times. Tho I will say I'm not sure how much the kids will like it. My son was 13 or 14 and he really enjoyed our time there. There's a long Catalina thread on here somewhere. If anyone has a birthday when you plan on going they can take the ferry for free. Check the Free birthday express thread.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Don't even get me started on Catalina. It's my absolute favorite in California.

Are you familiar with Hamilton Cove? I was looking at this rental on Catalina. https://www.vrbo.com/707030

I'm fine with detoxing and exploring the island. My boys are happy boys. They do whatever and as long as they get in some outdoor/hiking/etc they'll be happy. I have not said one word about Legoland to them on purpose! I know they'd love it. They had their 7th birthday party at the Legoland Discovery Center here which is crap, but they still loved it. I also know they'll outgrow it soon so I am torn on that!

Crap. Wait. I've got to tweak my itinerary after Disney. I forgot my hubby wants to do a whale watch with the boys (not for me...tried in Boston and was deathly seasick!) So I guess Saturday would be Dana Point and then Sunday we'd have to get in all LA.

Are you familiar with Hamilton Cove? I was looking at this rental on Catalina. https://www.vrbo.com/707030

I'm fine with detoxing and exploring the island. My boys are happy boys. They do whatever and as long as they get in some outdoor/hiking/etc they'll be happy. I have not said one word about Legoland to them on purpose! I know they'd love it. They had their 7th birthday party at the Legoland Discovery Center here which is crap, but they still loved it. I also know they'll outgrow it soon so I am torn on that!

We went to Catalina for DH's birthday with DD (age 3) and DS (6 at the time). DS still talks about the "Birthday Island". He really liked the mini golf, mini bowling, driving around the island on a golf cart, and the semi-sub. I wish we had done the flying fish tour at night. Here's my trip report, with some money saving tips. :) It includes the USS Iowa at the end since it's pretty close to the Long Beach ferry terminal.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/2-night-catalina-island-with-kids-trip-report-photos-added.3420100/

If you decide on Legoland, The Legoland Hotel is really cute. Both kids loved it and DS has asked multiple times to go back. Trip report with pictures of the hotel here:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-tale-of-2-legoland-hotels-trip-report-completed.3420924/

In Moss Landing (near Monterey), we really enjoyed Phil's Fish Market. Great seafood (cioppino especially), good price, in a super casual atmosphere.

Have fun planning, sounds like a great trip.

I can mostly comment on the Big Sur portion of your trip. If you can fit it in (you have a tight schedule), try also to visit Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel. Gorgeous views of the ocean, rocky and sandy beaches, historical site (whaling), and light hiking.

Best bet for big redwoods is Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, which is very close to the turnoff for Pfeiffer Beach. You'll also see some redwoods on Sycamore Canyon Rd on your way to Pfeiffer Beach, but they're not as big and you can't really stop and get out of your car to see them (one lane road). So I'd plan on an hour or so at the state park.

Lunch at Nepenthe's is an excellent choice. Views to die for. But pricey. But if it's raining or foggy, don't pay the price. What time of year are you going? If it's this winter, we're in the middle of a big El Nino, so rain is a high possibility. Keep an eye on the weather. The predictions are usually pretty good up to 5 days out or so.

If it is raining, I don't know what to say. Your choices are to wait for a non-rainy day, skip Big Sur and go the fast way to SoCal (101), or tough it out and take the Big Sur trip anyway. You won't see as much on a rainy, overcast day; but it's still a great trip.

Have fun!

Bob

If it's this winter, we're in the middle of a big El Nino, so rain is a high possibility. Keep an eye on the weather. The predictions are usually pretty good up to 5 days out or so.

If it is raining, I don't know what to say. Your choices are to wait for a non-rainy day, skip Big Sur and go the fast way to SoCal (101), or tough it out and take the Big Sur trip anyway. You won't see as much on a rainy, overcast day; but it's still a great trip.

Thanks!! It is winter. We get there on Feb 26.

We went to Catalina for DH's birthday with DD (age 3) and DS (6 at the time). DS still talks about the "Birthday Island". He really liked the mini golf, mini bowling, driving around the island on a golf cart, and the semi-sub. I wish we had done the flying fish tour at night. Here's my trip report, with some money saving tips. :) It includes the USS Iowa at the end since it's pretty close to the Long Beach ferry terminal.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/2-night-catalina-island-with-kids-trip-report-photos-added.3420100/

If you decide on Legoland, The Legoland Hotel is really cute. Both kids loved it and DS has asked multiple times to go back. Trip report with pictures of the hotel here:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-tale-of-2-legoland-hotels-trip-report-completed.3420924/

In Moss Landing (near Monterey), we really enjoyed Phil's Fish Market. Great seafood (cioppino especially), good price, in a super casual atmosphere.

Have fun planning, sounds like a great trip.

Ooo...looking forward to reading your trip report. Catalina is calling my name over Legoland after a week at Disney! :) We shall see...

try also to visit Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel.

think I could fit this in with the aquarium or would the aquarium take all day? It says 24 minutes on google (no traffic though).

OR just skip Limekiln see I'll see the redwoods at Pfeiffer State Park and make up time there?

I live very close to Monterey, about 15 minutes away, we are members of the aquarium and go often. I would suggest getting there first thing in the morning, I would think 3-4 hours will be plenty. Spend some time at the Wharf in the afternoon, we love to eat at Fishermans Grotto, amazing Clam Chowder. Our son loves going to Dennis the Menace Park, great for your boys to run around.
My son LOVES anything dinosaurs so we have gone to the La Brea Tar Pits, he loved it and if you have time go visit the Musueum of Natural History, it has an amazing Dinosaur Hall. Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!

The Catalina website will give you an idea of what there is to do on the Island. I went in July and had a couple of hot days in the 80's, not sure how it is in Feb/March. (I'd love to go to find out tho).
Tough choice between Legoland and Catalina. I loved LL when my son was up to 12 or so. I thought LL was pretty relaxing compared to bigger parks. And beautiful plants and flowers that we don't have in the north.
Over on the CA trip reports section the is another post started by Sherry which has lots more pictures and details of all the fun stuff. It's titled free birthday. Lots of info on golf carts rentals and where to rent for a free hour. Highly recommended as it's pretty hilly and riding around gets you some great views.
We stayed at the Atwater, it was a block to the beach. Most of the town is only a couple blocks to the beach.

http://www.catalinachamber.com/

I often check out the Web cams on the above site.

following along as we have a similar trip in the same time frame ....

fab! when you are going?

I've tweaked my LA portion with help from LA people. And unfortunately have abandoned Catalina. I just cant make it worth with hubby and really would like to do this trip with him.

Saturday
-Check out of Homewood Suites
- possible breakfast at PCH Grill if we don't get to see Stitch
- La Brea Tar Pits, 11:00 kids show
- late lunch at Farmers Market
- Hollywood sign at corner of Highland, Walk of Fame photo op, etc.
- 4:00 El Capitan Zootopia (definitely need to prepurchase tickets they said due to opening weekend)
- Dinner ?
- LDS Temple (open til 9pm - photo op at Visitors Center)
- Check in to hotel (HB or LA?)

Sunday
- Grab quick breakfast
- Whale watch out of Newport 10:00am
- Lunch Crocker's The Well Dressed Frank
- USS Iowa
- Leave for LAX by 3:45
- Randy's Donuts after airport drop
- Stay at same hotel

Monday
- Store luggage, rent bikes and explore HB (if stayed there...ifSanta Monica explore SM)
- Lunch Olive Pit Grill (HB) or The Albright (SM)
- Switch hotels to Carlsbad or wherever

Tuesday
- Legoland 10-5
- same hotel

Wednesday
- Whatever we want to do...still researching, depart San Diego 6:00pm

The Catalina website will give you an idea of what there is to do on the Island. I went in July and had a couple of hot days in the 80's, not sure how it is in Feb/March. (I'd love to go to find out tho).
Tough choice between Legoland and Catalina. I loved LL when my son was up to 12 or so. I thought LL was pretty relaxing compared to bigger parks. And beautiful plants and flowers that we don't have in the north.
Over on the CA trip reports section the is another post started by Sherry which has lots more pictures and details of all the fun stuff. It's titled free birthday. Lots of info on golf carts rentals and where to rent for a free hour. Highly recommended as it's pretty hilly and riding around gets you some great views.
We stayed at the Atwater, it was a block to the beach. Most of the town is only a couple blocks to the beach.

http://www.catalinachamber.com/

I often check out the Web cams on the above site.

Okay this is going to have to be a future trip. I would like my hubby to come and he's flying out Sunday so I decided to abandon. This with San Diego Zoo and Safari Park next time I think! It looks heavenly!!! And maybe shoot for summer so hubby can dive kelp forests.

PS...FYI the road to Pfeiffer Beach has been open and closed off and on now for 2 weeks due to mud. If you don't know already, check and make sure it's open for your date. Look at the "area status" and make sure it says "open". http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lpnf/recarea/?recid=10918

We fly to Cali on 2/27, but are spending a few days with friends in Sacramento and then a few days in Yosemite before starting the drive from Monterey down the coast to Anaheim. We're not really doing LA or anything farther South this trip. But this thread has already been very helpful for parts of our drive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter