Monte Cristo options?

Araminta18

DIS Veteran
I've heard so much about the Monte Cristo at Disneyland - it's definitely on my "must eat" list! However, my DH probably won't be a fan. As far as I can tell, the Monte Cristo is only at Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. Is there any way to get a half portion or kids portion of the Monte Cristo? Or get it takeaway, rather than having to make an ADR?

I'm assuming the answer to all the questions is "no", but hey, never hurts to ask. :)

I've heard so much about the Monte Cristo at Disneyland - it's definitely on my "must eat" list! However, my DH probably won't be a fan. As far as I can tell, the Monte Cristo is only at Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. Is there any way to get a half portion or kids portion of the Monte Cristo? Or get it takeaway, rather than having to make an ADR?

I'm assuming the answer to all the questions is "no", but hey, never hurts to ask. :)
It’s a Table Service restaurant so you’ll need a reservation or walk-up at Cafe Orleans if there’s availability.

You can always ask for a box after eating and take your leftovers with you.

My wife and I always split the Monte Cristo and the Pommes Frites at Cafe Orleans. It’s more than enough food for both of us.

See if DH is open to trying it... It comes in four wedges and is served with grapes.

Also note that (at least at BB), you can get it with just turkey, just ham and also no meat. But they are pre-made, so they just take off what you don’t want. So if you have an allergy or reason you can’t have that product touch your food, this will not work for you. There is no kids portion that I saw when we were there last month.

I can get just turkey?! You just made my day! I knew you could get the grilled cheese one, but I had no idea I could just forgo the ham.
Yay! Happy to help!! I only like turkey, so mine was that way. One of my DD also had hers only turkey. The other DD had hers only ham. So they can definitely do it, and said it was no problem at all!

If you want the Monte Cristo, he can just order a different entree. He can have some of yours. Its a LOT to eat for one person. I usually pull off most of the breading and eat the inside with just a little breading. There is no way I could eat the whole thing. And I am not a light eater. Haha!

Does anyone know if you can get just turkey or just ham on the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans? My DD will probably still want to just stick with BB since she love POTC, but thought I would check (and because those pomme frites look amazing!!).

You'll get four sandwiches that look smallish but they are incredibly dense. I am a big eater and don't struggle to finish anything put in front of me.

I couldn't finish the Monte Cristo.

You'll have no problem giving him a sandwich or two to try; two is more than enough, especially if you're also getting the Pomme Frites.

Also, because I don't think anyone has mentioned this: Go to Cafe Orleans for the sandwich unless you have your heart set on Blue Bayou. You can only get it at BB for lunch and it's more expensive for the exact same sandwich (they even come from the same kitchen). CO you can get it lunch or dinner, it's cheaper, and you can also get the fantastic Pomme Frites before the Monte Cristo arrives.

Also note that (at least at BB), you can get it with just turkey, just ham and also no meat. But they are pre-made, so they just take off what you don’t want.

Could you let me know the source for this info? Did your server tell you? I was so excited to see the vegetarian version show up on the menu, but if it is a previously meat-filled sandwich with the meat just pulled off? Yikes!

Also note that (at least at BB), you can get it with just turkey, just ham and also no meat. But they are pre-made, so they just take off what you don’t want. So if you have an allergy or reason you can’t have that product touch your food, this will not work for you. There is no kids portion that I saw when we were there last month.
They will make allergy friendly versions, apparently including a gluten free one at Cafe Orleans, but you have to ask for the Chef and let them know.

Could you let me know the source for this info? Did your server tell you? I was so excited to see the vegetarian version show up on the menu, but if it is a previously meat-filled sandwich with the meat just pulled off? Yikes!
We ate at BB for the first time in late January. I just asked the server if they could make the monte cristo with just ham or just turkey (since I and my DD14 don’t like ham, and DD12 doesn’t like turkey). He said they could do both of those modifications, no problem. He did mention that they are pre-made, and they do just remove the meat that you don’t want. So if we had an allergy or religious reason or other reason why that type of meat could not have touched our food, then they could not do a modification that would have that meat not touching our food. Maybe if you tell them ahead of time when you make the reservation, they could make the sandwich the way you wanted from the beginning but I am not sure. I just asked when we sat down to order, and he said no problem.

Since the “grilled cheese” version is an actual menu item at Cafe Orleans (but not at BB), I suspect that is made as a cheese version from the start.

It’s so frustrating that you can get the vegetarian one (which I believe is specifically made without the meat entirely, no server has ever warned me when I said vegetarian) at Cafe Orleans bur NOT at Blue Bayou! Especially doubly frustrating if they come from the same kitchen!

I agree. It seems like it would be easy to make it up on the spot, but I guess they probably go through so many on any given day, that they make them up ahead of time.

I do think they can make the “cheese only” at BB, but I think it would be deconstructed from the turkey and ham version, not made from scratch. But don’t quote me on that part because I did not specifically ask about cheese only. I only asked about all ham and all turkey, and those were going to be deconstructed from the pre-made sandwiches with both meats.

I agree. It seems like it would be easy to make it up on the spot, but I guess they probably go through so many on any given day, that they make them up ahead of time.

I do think they can make the “cheese only” at BB, but I think it would be deconstructed from the turkey and ham version, not made from scratch. But don’t quote me on that part because I did not specifically ask about cheese only. I only asked about all ham and all turkey, and those were going to be deconstructed from the pre-made sandwiches with both meats.

Right, but I don’t understand why it would be deconstructed there but over at Cafe Orleans they actually pre-make up the cheese only ones (I assume they’re pre-made because I’ve had LIGHTNING service before where it’s been like 4 minutes from order to my plate coming out...)

Again, you can ask for the chef and let them know it is an allergy/religious issue and they will make one for you. And I was told they will even make gluten free if you ask for it.

But you do have to ask for the chef and specifically let them know it is allergy/religious reasons, at least that is what I was told by one of the chefs. This was at Cafe Orleans, so I cannot vouch for BB.

I've already made my Cafe Orleans reservation for my trip in April. This is on my "must have" list!

This was at Cafe Orleans, so I cannot vouch for BB.

That might be it; I was told by a server at BB that they didn't have the cheese only ones and that they were all pre-made. I just seems odd to me they wouldn't offer a limited number of them or something every day. Maybe this doesn't get ordered much at BB compared to Cafe Orleans?

That might be it; I was told by a server at BB that they didn't have the cheese only ones and that they were all pre-made. I just seems odd to me they wouldn't offer a limited number of them or something every day. Maybe this doesn't get ordered much at BB compared to Cafe Orleans?
Well, BB sometimes takes the regular Monte Cristo completely off the menu and they don't even have the cheese one on the menu, then puts it back and their service is poor to say the least, you really are going there for the atmosphere, but you can expect your food to be cold, no drink refills unless you ask for a manager and server that just don't seem to care. At least that has been our experience. So we much prefer Cafe Orleans with far better servers, lower prices and as an added bonus, we can actually see what we are eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter