• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moms of young children, would you hire a 12yo to babysit?

Would you hire a 12yo to babysit?

• Yes, I would hire her

• I would hire her only for a few hours in the afternoon, for errands, ect.

• I would hire her to be a mother's helper. Take my child out to play while I get things done.

• No, 12 is too young

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hired a 12 yr old instead of her 16 yr old sister when my kids were little because I knew I'd have time to work with her, and then I'd have her for a good, long time - which is exactly what happened. She lived a few houses down, came from a great family, and was very mature and responsible. As a matter of fact, now I use her as an example now for my own kids. (Ironicially, she is now graduated from college, working, married, having her own baby and planning to use my DD as her babysitter! Her husband was her high school sweetheart and they used to take my kids on outings, etc, when they were in high school.)

My DD is 12 (soon to be 13) and has looked forward to babysitting for a while now. She loves kids and wherever we go always has a group of them around her coloring and doing crafts, etc. She took a babysitting course when she was 11 also. This winter she began helping out a family with 4 kids under 5 as a helper - great experience. Then this spring she became the primary babysitter for a new family in our neighborhood with children 7 and 5 - great ages. (She's made a ton of money this summer!)

She was slightly nervous at first on her own but either myself or my husband was always home/nearby if there were issues and she had her cell phone, etc. She had one emergency that she handled very well on her own (bloody nose with hysterics) and we didn't hear about it till later. She's also done a good job setting limits when necessary, making them meals (Mom leaves stuff to put together or heat in the microwave) and playing with/entertaining them (yesterday she had a whole chart made up of things they were going to do, complete with choices for each child, lol, which their Mom loves). I'm proud of her. It's also been good for her to see how hard it is to take care of kids (her when she comes home: :faint: lol) and has helped her understand some of the reasons behind what we as parents have to do, etc.

I think it's a great idea to have an 11/12 yr old begin as a helper and then move on gradually to having more responsibility. I hope your daughter can find the right family to work with.

Originally Posted by DeniseinNS
I would not let a 12 year old babysit my kids, but I wouldn't get an older teenager either. I am weird when it comes to babysitters and have only ever had family or close adult friends watch my kids, I don't know any teens that I would trust enough to come into my home and watch my kids.
That's too bad. My kids LOVED having teenage babysitters. They would play all kinds of fun games and get to do stuff they wouldn't normally get to do, like eating in the living room while watching a movie. Our kids now play a lot of those same games with the kids they babysit for.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all and definatly don't think they are missing out on anything by not having a teenage babysitter. I feel good knowing that they are left with adults that I trust and I never have to worry about them. Adults can be as much fun as teens :)
What works for some families may not for others, it's a personal preference.

I would not let a 12 year old babysit my kids, but I wouldn't get an older teenager either. I am weird when it comes to babysitters and have only ever had family or close adult friends watch my kids, I don't know any teens that I would trust enough to come into my home and watch my kids.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all and definatly don't think they are missing out on anything by not having a teenage babysitter. I feel good knowing that they are left with adults that I trust and I never have to worry about them. Adults can be as much fun as teens
What works for some families may not for others, it's a personal preference.
Absolutely.

But your children may be missing out on some great experiences with their contemporaries.

Your choice, of course.

I would for a couple hours in the afternoon, if I was going to be going out at night I would hire an older teen.

I have and would. My baby sitter in fact my only baby sitter was 13 at the time I started using her. My DS was 3 and my DD was 6 weeks. She was from a large Italian family and we had seen her around kids and she was incredible. Way more responsible that any other teenager I had ever seen. My kids were always fed and ready for bed or in bed when we got home, she changed diapers, DD was always dry and clean when we got home, house was picked up. Her mother wouldn't let her baby sit unless they knew you very well.

In my case the kids were much better off with her than with my parents, one was deaf and one legally blind. My son was over at their house one day and he picked up one of my mom's nitro pills that she dropped. Luckily she wasn't babysitting and I saw him before he put it in his mouth. Not her fault and she was a wonderful mother she just couldn't take care of kids anymore.

My babysitter is 24 years old and a elementary school teacher, CPR certified and married to the chief of our fire department. My kids are 12 and 7 and I started using her about 2 years ago. No one other than adult family members have babysat my kids before I had this babysitter. So, yes I am one of "those moms".:rotfl:

When I was 12 I babysat all the time and no one cared about my age cause I was very mature and responsible.

I really think it is wonderful your DD wants to take this class to get certified(they offer that at our school too, but I believe at age 13) and start her own babysitting business. Good for her!:thumbsup2. As her mom I would just make sure I knew what the law in my area is as far as what age a child can be left home alone with another young child, and how old that child can be. I personally wouldn't hire a child that young, but as a mothers helper, absolutely! So I would steer her in that direction. Once she does that for awhile it will make her resume look better and in a year or two I am sure she will have no problem getting regular babysitting jobs.

Having a 12 year old DD also, I would not let her babysit yet even for her brother!;). I also don't think I would feel comfortable having her be alone in someones house watching small children. JMHO

Yes I would hire her.

I was babysitting at age 11 also. It was for 4 year old twins, BUT they were my next door neighbors and my parents were always home when I babysat.

At 12, I was doing a little bit more babysitting for cousin's and family friends. By 13 I was so busy I probably should have had a business license. At 14/15 I was babysitting daily during the summers and working at daycares. By 16 I had a "real" job & no longer wanted to babysit. I think thats the way most kids are.

Plus, when I was a younger teen I WANTED to entertain and play with the kids more. By the time I was 16... If I babysat it, I wanted to be somewhere else and was just there to supervise & make money.

Nope. I have too many kids for a 12 year old to watch. I use adult family or adult Mom friends. I used to babysit at 11 but I still wouldn't hire a kid. I would however hire them to come and play with the kids once in a while so I could tend to some chores etc. but none of the young kids here babysit so I don't even do that.

Nope. I have too many kids for a 12 year old to watch. I use adult family or adult Mom friends. I used to babysit at 11 but I still wouldn't hire a kid. I would however hire them to come and play with the kids once in a while so I could tend to some chores etc. but none of the young kids here babysit so I don't even do that.

When the kids were really little, twins under 2, we had two friends come over and babysit.

My babysitter is 24 years old and a elementary school teacher, CPR certified and married to the chief of our fire department. My kids are 12 and 7 and I started using her about 2 years ago. No one other than adult family members have babysat my kids before I had this babysitter. So, yes I am one of "those moms".:rotfl:

When I was 12 I babysat all the time and no one cared about my age cause I was very mature and responsible.

I really think it is wonderful your DD wants to take this class to get certified(they offer that at our school too, but I believe at age 13) and start her own babysitting business. Good for her!:thumbsup2. As her mom I would just make sure I knew what the law in my area is as far as what age a child can be left home alone with another young child, and how old that child can be. I personally wouldn't hire a child that young, but as a mothers helper, absolutely! So I would steer her in that direction. Once she does that for awhile it will make her resume look better and in a year or two I am sure she will have no problem getting regular babysitting jobs.

Having a 12 year old DD also, I would not let her babysit yet even for her brother!;). I also don't think I would feel comfortable having her be alone in someones house watching small children. JMHO
that is the joy of having an 12 year old. Also here in Florida there is no required age, it is up to the parents to decide. Within reason.

The happiest day of my life was when my DS turned 12, now I don't even use baby sitters. It is wonderful. I wouldn't let him watch anyone else's kid but I leave him at home with mine all the time. Man ,life is so much easier now. I don't think I could even find a 24 year old to babysit.

No, I wouldn't. We need a babysitter for when we go out at night, so the hours required are usually from 8:00pm until around 11:30pm, sometimes even as late as 2:00am. I can't imagine letting a 12 yo stay up until 2am, so we've never even considered it.

This is why I would say no. When we go out, it is usually to concerts, sporting events or birthday parties for friends at bars. We aren't home by 10. We are lucky to be home by midnight and it is frequently much later.

Would you allow your 12 year old to be alone at my house until 2 am?

What about school nights? I have a sitter coming tonight. It is Back to School night until 7 but since we have someone coming we'd figure we'd take in a movie after. There is a 730 Inception so we estimate that we'll be home around 1030. Is that ok for a 12 year old?

Like I said, our main 'activity' is concerts and those are exclusive to weekends.

Now for me personally, the fact that I have a 9 year old rules out a 12 year old. The 12 year olds in my neighborhood play with my 9 year old in the neighborhood 'group.' So that would be weird. But even if I took my 9 year old out of the mix, it still wouldn't work for the 2 year old for most things *I* need.

I *might* consider it for the 2 year old only during a Saturday afternoon for a few hours. Like taking the 9 year old to a PG movie or something but that is something DH and I usually switch off on.

I think the mother's helper idea is good. If I needed a helper, I'd consider a 12 year old.

Obviously, I don't know your DD but the 11 year old in my old neighborhood was more interested in chatting with me than playing with my 2 year old. That is something to be mindful of if she is a mother's helper. She is there to work and play with the child not socialize with the mother. This girl's mother was trying to introduce her DD to babysitting and would send her over on occasion. I also scrapbooked with the mom and if I needed to bring my 2 year old along, the DD was supposed to be watching DD while I worked. This generally didn't work out well, as the girl was more interested in gossipy girl talk with the grown ups than doing her job. I, however, am not sure this girl had any interest in babysitting. I think it may have just been something her mother thought she should do.

That all said. I would be interested in a 14-15 year old, young High Schooler for more things. FWIW, my sitters are all college aged or young professionals (19-25) that need additional income. They can make more sitting than they can at the mall and the hours are much more flexible since they can choose which jobs to do or not.

I don't have kids, so maybe I'll change my tune when I do, but I think it's funny that anyone would trust a high schooler over a 12 year old as a babysitter. At least in my experience, my younger babysitters were very focused on doing a good job. My older ones were focused on finishing their high school homework, calling their boyfriends, falling asleep at midnight (I'd wake them up when my parents came home) and drinking my parents alcohol. No, I didn't tell on them, I liked them, and I could pretty much take care of myself so I didn't care.

As the Mom of a 12 year old, I would say yes but that it depends on the 12 yr. old and the children who are being babysat. My DD is very responsible, has gone through the Red Cross & GS training. My DD has been babysitting this summer for two families in the neighborhood. One family has a 4 year old & 6 year old and the other has a 5 year old who absolutely workships the ground my DD walks on :lmao: There have not been any late nights, the latest was 10 pm.

I have had many babysitters in the past (when I worked full-time) and I will tell you that the ones that were 12, 13, & 14 were much more reliable than the high school girls. My DDs liked them better mainly I think that because they actually "played" with them as opposed to just sitting there watching TV which was what the older high school girls were doing.

No way! They are still children themselves and do not possess the maturity or experience to handle an emergency situation.

No way! They are still children themselves and do not possess the maturity or experience to handle an emergency situation.

I would have to agree with you in most instances. However in my case with my 12/13 year old. Her mother would only let her babysit if she new you very well, as I stated earlier< but the part that I left out and actually forgot about,(age is a terrible thing) . Her mother would not allow her to babysit unless she was at home or her dad was at home so that she could contact them in case of an emergency. It was a very different situation with her and not your normal 12 year old babysitter.

We had a babysitter who was 12 and had taken the Red Cross course... our kids weren't infants though - they were 7, 8, and 10. She would watch them while I worked a few hours during the day (p/t job and this was during the summer). We are not night owls - the latest I ever had her watch the kids was like 9:30 - LOL (I have an early bedtime!). And those nights were rare - it was mainly during the summer so I could keep my job while the kids were out of school.

I have met 14 and 15yr olds I would NEVER hire to watch my kids. But she was extremely responsible and mature - and I had gotten to know her over 2yrs before she watched my children.

I think it really depends upon the 12yr old.

Sorry, my daughter proved you wrong. :cutie:

As others have said, it depends on the child.

I absolutely would have done well myself as a 12 yr old as well. I was working two jobs by that time and dealing with situations well beyond my years even then. I'm sure there are plenty of 12 yr olds today who are similiarly capable.

Sorry, my daughter proved you wrong. :cutie:

As others have said, it depends on the child.

I absolutely would have done well myself as a 12 yr old as well. I was working two jobs by that time and dealing with situations well beyond my years even then. I'm sure there are plenty of 12 yr olds today who are similiarly capable.

Do you honestly believe a bloody nose and hysterics is a true emergency? I guess that is where we differ. I don't think a 12 year old could handle a true life or death situation and I would never put one in a spot to find out. Granted, I couldn't care less if other people hired 12 year olds, it wouldn't happen in THIS house.

It wouldn't work for my family but not because I don't think a 12 year old could handle it. I did a lot of sitting at that age and up until I was able to get a "real" job.

The first reason is because my older daughter is 10 and the age gap is too small. She is, at this point, able to be left home alone for short periods of time and it would probably feel very demeaning to her to have someone just a couple of years older as a baby sitter. The bigger reason, however, is that my 8 year old daughter has ADHD and high-functioning autism. She is a great kid and if she is kept busy and engaged she stays out of trouble. However, if she gets bored all bets are off. She may wander out of the house to collect bugs or head down to the basement to dismantle the furnace to see how it works. We have had success with older teens and college students (usually their cousins) because they are capable of taking on this kind of responsibility.

I leave my little ones with my oldest (almost 13) for a few hours if I need to run errands. I try to go while DD is napping, however, I often go to the neighbors house on the weekend nights and leave my oldest in charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter