Moms of Liberty - Hypocrisy at its worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

My best friend was reading Stephen King at 8 years old and she turned out fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

My belief is if you’re at the reading level to read it, you should be able to read it. And hopefully, if you have a good relationship with your kid, they’ll talk to you about it. I read a horror book with some very questionable scenes when I was 12 and passed it on to my dad because I thought he’d like it, too. He did, and nothing was said about those scenes, because he knew I was mature enough to read them.

ETA (because my phone messed up): the other problem with the “don’t say gay” bill is that it’s extremely vague and leads a lot to intepretation. Some people might think a gay teacher mentioning a spouse is innocuous. Others might try to get the teacher fired.

When I was 9 years old I read Jaws and The Exorcist. Yes, I got scared. I was a voracious reader and my mom (this was the 70s) let me have it. I think I'm fine too, but maybe the Moms of Liberty would disagree.

OP and totally OT but fits in the current theme right now of this thread. There’s no point in banning books from kids in schools or libraries when any 10-year-old at the bus stop can lean over the shoulder of a friend who has a smart phone with unlimited data and no parental controls and watches together a website that is in the top 6 of most visited websites. See screen shot and hint starts with a P and ends with hub. Sorry, this is new news from any of you but if you look at the user traffic for the United States, who go to this website - what books are being published and available, is not the issue. It’s actually very scary to see that almost “everyone”’based on user stats, visits this site.

It’s disgusting. I wish conservatives would focus more on the easy access of this site vs what books kids are reading in school. Heck I’d join them in this fight. People are in a fantasy world if they think because they have parental controls over their kids devices. Their kids have zero access unless you literally watch them 24/7 and who they’re with and where. My son had a friend who would use his phone to watch youtube!

Attachments

• IMG_8491.png
    IMG_8491.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 20

Funny how this thread is still in motion. This board has always leaned left.
So? I've repeatedly asked in this thread for the viewpoints of those supporting book banning and get crickets.

If you don't like the way the board is moderated, or individual threads, either skip the threads or find another board. I don't understand why people complain how something is run, but willingly put up with it. Do they like getting/being frustrated?

So? I've repeatedly asked in this thread for the viewpoints of those supporting book banning and get crickets.
Why do you keep asking? It’s not like the viewpoints are widely different or changing. Some of us agree with Moms for Liberty that books advocating or depicting child sex don’t have a place in public school libraries.

Why do you keep asking? It’s not like the viewpoints are widely different or changing. Some of us agree with Moms for Liberty that books advocating or depicting child sex don’t have a place in public school libraries.
You have to be kidding. Different? Changing?

Are there books in elementary schools depicting ANY kind of sex? Does a drawing of a naked buttocks (as Forest Gump would say) equate to sex? See previous post to understand what I'm talking about.

Are you worried about MS students reading about sex? Or just reading about gay sex? Do you not feel students should have the choice of what to read? Did you not teach your kids what you want them to read (or not)? Do you not trust your kids to make the right decisions?

Or do you think even High School age shouldn't be allowed to read about sex?

If you don't like the way the board is moderated, or individual threads, either skip the threads or find another board. I don't understand why people complain how something is run, but willingly put up with it. Do they like getting/being frustrated?
This is really off topic for this thread to be honest but I really hate when people talk about “book banning”. So we would all recognize that school libraries are curated, yes? The selection of books found in elementary school libraries would be different from those in middle school libraries and those would be different from those found in high school libraries, correct? If an elementary school library doesn’t have a wide selection on horror books or adult romance novels we wouldn’t consider them being banned correct? We would consider that while some 8 year olds might be able to read Stephen King books (or Danielle Steele lol), there probably isn’t a wide selection of those books in K-5 schools (or even 5-8). Are they banned? Nope. Can your child (or anyone else’s child) read advanced and graphic horror books? Sure! Those books are readily available at your bookstore or public library. Can your child get and read any of these “banned books” in the great state of Florida (or any state)? Yes! Why? Because they aren’t banned!

When we talk about books in public schools, let’s tweak the talking points a bit and see if the narrative still works shall we? Say your public school has a collection of DVD’s (yes I’m old!) for students to check out and watch at home. Do you think K-5 schools are going to have any rated R movies in them (let’s say good old Stephen King’s It)? Probably not. Are you fine with your 8 year old watching It? Great! I’m sure it’s streaming somewhere. Have at it. The movie isn’t banned! It’s just probably not available at your kids public school. Let’s try to look at books the same way. Maybe some of the rated R books (that have extreme violence or graphic sexual scenes) shouldn’t be available in elementary schools. But you can still let you kids read any book you want them to. Or watch any movie. If you want your 8 year old (because it’s at their reading level) to read 50 shades of grey then have at it! And they can watch the movie too! They’re not banned!

There are no banned books in the United States. When you tell me about books that are not available from my public library or bookstore then we can have a conversation about “banned books”.

This is really off topic for this thread to be honest but I really hate when people talk about “book banning”. So we would all recognize that school libraries are curated, yes? The selection of books found in elementary school libraries would be different from those in middle school libraries and those would be different from those found in high school libraries, correct? If an elementary school library doesn’t have a wide selection on horror books or adult romance novels we wouldn’t consider them being banned correct? We would consider that while some 8 year olds might be able to read Stephen King books (or Danielle Steele lol), there probably isn’t a wide selection of those books in K-5 schools (or even 5-8). Are they banned? Nope. Can your child (or anyone else’s child) read advanced and graphic horror books? Sure! Those books are readily available at your bookstore or public library. Can your child get and read any of these “banned books” in the great state of Florida (or any state)? Yes! Why? Because they aren’t banned!

When we talk about books in public schools, let’s tweak the talking points a bit and see if the narrative still works shall we? Say your public school has a collection of DVD’s (yes I’m old!) for students to check out and watch at home. Do you think K-5 schools are going to have any rated R movies in them (let’s say good old Stephen King’s It)? Probably not. Are you fine with your 8 year old watching It? Great! I’m sure it’s streaming somewhere. Have at it. The movie isn’t banned! It’s just probably not available at your kids public school. Let’s try to look at books the same way. Maybe some of the rated R books (that have extreme violence or graphic sexual scenes) shouldn’t be available in elementary schools. But you can still let you kids read any book you want them to. Or watch any movie. If you want your 8 year old (because it’s at their reading level) to read 50 shades of grey then have at it! And they can watch the movie too! They’re not banned!

There are no banned books in the United States. When you tell me about books that are not available from my public library or bookstore then we can have a conversation about “banned books”.
Thank you for the response. I would argue that there ARENT "R rated" books in Elementary schools to begin with.

In MS, there might be. But again, if you've taught your kid to stay away from R rated material, it shouldn't matter whether it's in the library or not.

And I get your point about using the term "banning", but IMO, if a book USED to be "ok" and is now "not ok" and taken away, yes, that book was "banned" from that location.

You have to be kidding. Different? Changing?

Are there books in elementary schools depicting ANY kind of sex? Does a drawing of a naked buttocks (as Forest Gump would say) equate to sex? See previous post to understand what I'm talking about.

Are you worried about MS students reading about sex? Or just reading about gay sex? Do you not feel students should have the choice of what to read? Did you not teach your kids what you want them to read (or not)? Do you not trust your kids to make the right decisions?

Or do you think even High School age shouldn't be allowed to read about sex?
There were examples given earlier in the thread.

It’s not about what I want. It’s what parents that have kids in public schools want. And if they don’t want their young children exposed to sexual subjects I’m okay with that. If you want your kids exposed to it, then do it at home.

Who remembers knowing who/what Ralph was after reading 'Forever' by Judy Blume...

Books are about discovery, but they do not create belief or converts...I read the Bible and the Koran... still don't believe in either. Also the Prince by Machiavelli... still have not overthrown a kingdom... Anarchist cookbook: nope, never built weapons. Also read some pretty racy erotica... and never tried most of THAT...

Reading about sex does not make people go out and have sex LOL... can't believe we still have these arguments. Read what you want... if your kid is out there and reading and reading and reading whatever... you should be happy, not stifle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter