• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mommy and daughter??? can we do it?

CatOne

Mouseketeer
I want to plan a trip to Disney in May of 2004. My daughter will be 5 1/2. Am I crazy? Her dad is not at all excited about this and tells me we should not go alone. Unfortunately her father and I are not together any more and going as a family is not an option. I don't think we should miss out because he decided to bail out. I think we would have a great time. Any feedback from anyone making this trip alone? Thank you!!

CatOne

YES. Take your daughter. I always feel extremely safe there. I do stay on property, though.

My parents weren't thrill ed the 1st time I went with mo son who was 9 at the time. But, I feel safer there than I do in other places.

You'll be absolutely fine. It will be an awesome time of bonding for you and your DD. I can't think of a better place to go alone with a child for vacation.

I am a single mother with a son. The only vacation we really get to go on is to Orlando area, mostly WDW. Why? Because it is very hard to get lost, it gives me a feeling of being safe, and there is so much to do. The first time my son went was when he was 5 however my parents came with us. He did tire very easily. However I would definitly take your daughter. There is no reason why you or she should suffer because of some jerk. Go and have a terrific time (and take a lot of pictures). My son never gets tired of looking at his pictures. Down the road another good vacation you can go on is the Disney cruise. We did and we had a ball.

Hi. I say go for it. I will be taking my 5 year old daughter in November and it will be our "first real vacation". Her father and I aren't together anymore as well, but he is all for it. She and I will be staying on property and will be having a towncar take us and pickup us up from the property. I believe you will have a wonderful time and make great memories.

Definitely go. My husband couldn't go with my 9 yr old daughter and I because of his job. He did come for 2 days, but the rest of the time was just the two of us. I was a little nervous, but everything is right there. The bus stops right at the hotel, food courts, etc. I didn't stay out at night, even though I felt very safe. We usually got back to the hotel around 5:00, have some dinner and then later spend the evening in the pool. I have to admit that I did feel lonely eating in the food court just the two of us, because there were so many families around. But don't let that stop you! I would definitely go again alone if I had to.:)

Thank you all so much! I feel much better now and I intend to show these to him sohe will know I am not the only parent that has decided to take their child alone. Truth be known, I think we would have better time just the two of us! He is really uptight and the last trip was stressful. Thanks again!!

CatOne:bounce:

I'm so glad to read these responses. I'm taking my 7 year old DD this year alone, and I've been a little nervous about it. My DH went with us to WDW for her 5 year birthday and basically said he would never go again. But my daughter and I both loved it and wanted to go back, so we're going! I've traveled alone with her before to the beach, once when she was 3 and when she was 5, so I know taking a trip with her alone is doable and can be a lot of fun. My DH does not like FLA or hot weather - and my DD and I love the beach and WDW - so I guess we're going to have to get used to going solo!

Gosh, I guess this thread just shows that everything is what you are used to. I took my 2 oldest kids (then 4 and 2) alone on vacation when I was pregnant with my 3rd. Now they are 8, 6 and 3 and I'm considering a summer vacation with them without DH. Maybe even WDW. (Since we are going to WDW for a week next week with DH, he doesn't think he can get off again in the summer.) My parents were divorced too and my mom took me and my 2 brothers on vacation alone many, many times.

I absolutely agree that I feel safer at WDW than other places. With one child, you will have a blast!!!

I also took my DD for her 4th birthday. I was pregnant with my 3rd and my husband thought we should have some quality time. So he stayed home with DD#2 who was18 mos at the time. We had suc a blast just the 2 of us. She is 6 now and still talks about it. DD#2 will be 4 in August, perhaps her and I can do a trip together as well.

I think you should go for it. You will feel safe and your child will have a blast!!

Hi, I am a clinical social worker and I have seen a lot of jealosy when one parent gets to take the child on a great vaction and the other doesn't. Normally it is the parent who does not live with the kids or spend the time and money for the things they really need. (ie, I pay for the Dr. and braces and he gets to be the hero and take her to WDW.)

I think it is great you are planning on going with her alone. You are a family, this is a family vacation. You are complete just the way you are now. There is no reason not to go just because only one parent is going. Disney is easy for parents and children. You should have a great time and your DD will love it and remember this forever (take lots of pictures.) She will be young enough to really be caught up in the magic, but old enough to remember it and to do more things herself. (in other words not as hard on you.)

You will not be the only single parent there.

I have taken my daughers for a mom & me trip alone since they were 3 and we have a blast. I have never had a problem, always have TTC pick us up at the airport and stay onsite. Now that they are older, 6 & 8 the three of us go as dh doesn't love WDW the way we do. These have been some of my favorite trips and we have one planned for April school vacation. Dh can't take the time off from work so its nice to have someplace fun and safe to vacation.

If your comfortable doing it then I think its a great idea!
TJ

Go for it!! My mother took my sister and me after my father passed away and we were 6 and 8. I will never forget that trip and it is what got me hooked on Disney.
You and your daughter will have a wonderful time. Have FUN!!

I would go and not think twice about it! What the heck is your former DH thinking? My father died when I was 9 months old and my mom took me on a vacation every summer to some place (including NYC, and San Francisco - we lived in Kentucky so those were huge trips - even traveling on the train across country). I wouldn't have gotten a vacation at all otherwise!

I've taken the bus at night alone after an eride night at the MK back to the POFQ and felt perfectly safe.

Enjoy!!!

Carol

My husband is Disney impaired so he has rarely gone along with us to WDW. I have taken my son many times and we have stayed both on and offsite without any problems. As a matter of fact, we're going again soon and I can't wait! :teeth:

You can definitly take your daughter to Disney alone! I take my four children, ages 2 - 11 every year alone and have for four years now. My husband is not a Disney fanatic like I am. He doesn't want to "waste" his vacation time, so I go for the first five days with the kids and then he joins us for the weekend. I will admit it can be challenging at times, but worth every moment! We have a ball! I also feel Disney is a very safe place, however I still don't let my guard down. You'll have a super time with your daughter, creating memories that will last a lifetime for both of you! Have Fun!

We (our entire family of 6) were just to Disney in December but I miss it so much -- I started having withdrawal symptoms in early February. My DH said no Disney trips for 10 years as he wants to go other places. Other places? Anyhow, I started begging and ... he said I could take our 3 year old son in April!! He has no desire to go at all so it's just the 2 of us.

First, I have a 3 hour drive to the airport, fly for the first time in over 10 years, rent a car, which I've never done and we're staying off-site. When the reality of it first hit I was nervous but now I'm really looking forward to it. I was dissapointed that my husband doesn't want to go but I know we'll have a great time together. Not only is it Disney but the memories we'll have ...

So -- go for it!! Have a great time!!

We are flying down in April (Easter week) to Jupiter for the first 3-4 days and then dh is driving us to Orlando where he will come home (not much vacation time & my 17 yr. old will be home staying with grandma and working) and dd, ds and I will be staying on-site for the remainder of the week. We will take Disney transportation and probably Tiffany to the airport. I was nervous at first but now I can't wait - we have ressies for Hoop dee doo Review and breakfast with Cindy and the Castle. Actually my dh is jealous. (We are going though for two weeks in July (Cruise and OKW).

I took my DD and my grandma when DD was 5. We had a blast!

Me and DD (12) are going by ourselves the last week of Aug! DH is nervous b/c we are flying :rolleyes: We are going to have a GREAT time!

Have a blast with yours too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter