• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Modifying my online reservation - site says I have to call?

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
I booked our 2021 trip online months ago with a note to myself that we may shorten the trip at a later date by departing earlier. I had noticed that there was a link to change or update dates (without having to call, mercifully), so I knew I would be able to modify our dates without a lot of drama at some later point in time.

However, this week, I modified our reservation to apply the new 35% resort discount, and the area where we can modify dates now says we have to call. Is this because of the discount?

Would it be better to call and update our dates... or book a new reservation and cancel the old one? (the latter is a tip I've seen on other sites, to avoid booking errors that can happen with modifications.)

Thanks in advance

I suspect it’s probably just a website thing at the moment. I’d wait a bit and see if it clears up. Make sure you’re using the private browsing feature in whatever browser you’re using when on Disney’s website.

For me, it has taken a few days to make any additional online changes if I have made one recently. The option has always come back.

Sometimes those Disney discounts are only valid for certain dates, min number of nights, etc. Trying to modify a reservation might put you outside the date ranges of the discount. The Disney websites do have LOTS of technical issues. If the error still shows in the next few days, I would call to make the desired changes. When we were planning our Disney trip last year, certain things we could do online while some modifications required a phone call.

... Is this because of the discount?

Would it be better to call and update our dates... or book a new reservation and cancel the old one? (the latter is a tip I've seen on other sites, to avoid booking errors that can happen with modifications.) ...
While we perceive it is one system we may be looking at multiple systems. Often when systems are not talking to each other in real time there is a level of differences between the systems, especially if a person want to make an update/edit to their current account. In these situations, it is often decided to have a person help with any changes, as they often will have access to multiple systems to make sure everything being asked is OK. So this can introduce the human error factor, especially if they don't hear things right, type well or worse are not listening that well. The good news is that systems, though they may not be real-time where both are in synch with each other, typically they will transfer information at a point in time where the person option is no longer needed.

Sometimes those Disney discounts are only valid for certain dates, min number of nights, etc. Trying to modify a reservation might put you outside the date ranges of the discount. The Disney websites do have LOTS of technical issues. If the error still shows in the next few days, I would call to make the desired changes. When we were planning our Disney trip last year, certain things we could do online while some modifications required a phone call.

Thank you, everyone. I waited a couple of days, to see if anything changed, but it's still saying I have to call to modify. I think "_19disnA" nailed it. I should have changed my dates, THEN applied the discount! Oh well, guess I'm in for a long wait on hold with reservations. 🙄

I had a res for mid April 2021 and when the 35% discount offer appeared I went to see if I could change it online for the new price and it let me. But I have to cancel our Nov 2020 trip and on that one it says I have to call. I cannot figure out what makes it an online change but so far I have held on the phone for over an hour with no luck. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter