• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moderate on Points ?

5wdwnutz

Mouseketeer
Has anyone stayed at a moderate using points? I've read posts where some say it's not a good use or points.

I was looking into POR RS - Alligator Bayou. Looks like units in that section of the resort can sleep 5.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Missy

You can use DVC points to stay at a moderate. IMHO, it is not a good use of points because you can stay at a DVC resort for less points. I'd only do it if DVC were full and I didn't want to pay cash for the mod.

For example, to stay in a mod on a weekday in Adventure season, it costs 14 points. You can stay in an OKW studio for 8 or in a VWL studio for 12. A 1 bedroom at OKW is 16.

It's true that some rooms in the AB section of POR can sleep 5 an the studios only 4 - but the studios are so much nicer. I think I'd rather pay 2 points more and get two studios or a 1 bedroom rather than stay in one 240 sq ft room. JMHO. YMMV. I 'm spoiled. I admit it.

Best wishes -

I agree with Carol - it's nicer to have a DVC studio!! That being said, I used DVC points at POR last year for a last-minute trip, because no DVC units were available. I felt I got good value because I got to go to WDW!!!!! But I'd have used them at a DVC resort if I'd had the opportunity.

Also just so you know, the 5th person will sleep on a trundle bed that is stored under one of the full size beds. It looks like a mattress on a sled. When it is pulled out, it takes up alot of the floor space near the door.

I guess I too have been spoiled, I would rather have the 1Br for just a few more points. But if you have the points and want to try the resort, hey go for it.

Five in a moderate room is tight -- not comfortable in my opinion. We did it with four adults in December (stayed on points because it was a last minute decision and there were no DVC rooms availabe) and I could not imagine another person in that room, even if it was a child.

I don't agree with breaking the rules, but if I needed five in a room and couldn't afford a bigger DVC room, I'd probably go with a one-bedroom and have somebody sleep on the floor. Even a studio at OKW would be a better choice than a moderate.

Just chiming in to agree with the others and to point out that 5 are now allowed in a 1 bedroom if you want to provide an airbed for the 5th. For the points and the size difference, I would definitely go for a 1 bedroom at OKW over a regular hotel room at POR with the smaller beds and tight space. Besides, in the 1 bedroom, you will have a full kitchen and laundry room and that whirlpool which would be like icing on the cake! Of course, if nothing is available at any DVC resorts for the time you want to go, then that would be a horse of a different color.

For example; in October a room at POR would be 85 points for Sun.thru Thursday while a 1 bedroom with all the amenities at OKW would be 90 points for that same time. I'd definitely do the 1 bedroom.

I didn't even think of a 1-bedroom. Plus we would have the kitchen and washer/dryer in the unit.

Decision made..I'm going for a 1-bedroom if we don't have the points for a 2-bedroom.

Missy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter