Mobile Magic ~ Worth upgrading my phone?

Jake & Crew

Mouseketeer
We are only 13 days away from our trip!

Was wondering if anyone has had experience ( positive or negative) with Mobile Magic from Verizon. Currently we are Verizon subscribers with our cell phones though in the future I would like to switch to I Phone ( right now the lack of AT&T coverage in our area keeps me from switching).

We have been only using our phones for phone calls....strange I know....but as friends and family are more and more into texting I have been thinking of getting a more text friendly phone.

I am very interested the MM app and wonder if it is worth it to upgrade my current cell phone to another one in the Verizon world now so I can purchase the MM app for our next trip.

Just want to make sure the app is as good as it sounds and the info is up to date as far as wait times etc.

So anyone with some opinions or advice?? Little rhetorical ? for the DIS boards....:rotfl:

What plan and phone do you have.

I had America's Choice 2 plan and needed to upgrade my wife's phone as it died. She had to switch to the new NAtionwide plan as the phnes "supposedly" couldn't work with the AC2 plan.

I HATE the new plan in that using GIN, or downloading anythng, it pulls MB charges. Before it was using your minutes.

They billed me for resotring my programs, and even backing up my contacts with backup assistant, uses MB and is thus a charge. I don't update my contacts anymore.

So befroe you switch, make sure you really need to. What I lost was more important than what I gained (MM).

Alot of the mobile magic phones are not the latest greatest cutting edge technology phones (read smart phones) but since you are just wanting to bump up a little bit and start getting into the newer technology then it may not be an issue for you. Check out thier device selectiong that works with Mobile Magic and see if any of those work for you. I wouldn't upgrade just for that, but I have Lines which works anywhere and everywhere and I prefer smart phones.

The iphone is coming to verizon in January just incase you were wondering

That's still just a rumor, though often quoted. Far from confirmed. Purchasing what would likely be a CDMA/3G handset at that point in time when LTE\4G sets will start to ramp up (and meaning an iPhone 5 with LTE is on the horizon) would not be the best idea. :)

I'm leaving for Disney tomorrow, :yay: , and I got an email a couple of days ago to sign up for texts from Disney. Supposedly I can text that number during my stay and they will respond with the wait time of the ride I ask. I've never tried it before but if it's accurate you could use that instead of changing phones and paying for the app. I'll also be using Lines on my new IPhone as backup. :love:

I'm leaving for Disney tomorrow, :yay: , and I got an email a couple of days ago to sign up for texts from Disney. Supposedly I can text that number during my stay and they will respond with the wait time of the ride I ask. I've never tried it before but if it's accurate you could use that instead of changing phones and paying for the app. I'll also be using Lines on my new IPhone as backup. :love:

The text thing only works a couple of times a day. I want to say 3, but it may be more now. Just use Lines you will be happier with that.

I didnt think I'd be able to use it on my phone, and it worked!

Go here:

https://mediastore.verizonwireless....sney Parks Mobile Magic&contentType=APPLICATN

Right in the "Get App" box there's a *red* link that says "View Compatible Phones" and it's pretty up-to-date. There are a lot of phones on there that you wouldn't expect to be "app-friendly" but they are! (Seriously I have the G'zone Boulder, the construction worker type phone)

OOh, glad to hear the Boulder works since that is what my dh has. I have a Blackberry and obviously can't get it on my phone. Still thinking of getting Lines for mine though.

I went to the trouble and expense of upgrading my phone right before my trip JUST so I could get Mobile Magic. I assumed all apps would work on all smartphones---nope! Imagine my surprise. It does not work on LG Ally--or it didn't in mid June.

Used the Mobile Magic app in May, and really liked it. The wait times were very accurate, character information was good, but a bit of a pain to get what you wanted. They could make it more user friendly. It gave info for when all the shows were going on and when performances for acts such as the Jammitors in Epcot would happen. Very nice! One feature that was very helpful was the dining info. We could pull up the menus for TS places and make a decision without walking all over the park. Plus there is fun park trivia game to play while waiting in line. You can also select an option to get a daily info alert from Disney, and you can set reminders. I found this helpful for the couple of ADRs we did have. My only problem with the reminders is you can't program them all in advance. You pretty much have to do it day by day as they arise.

We have another trip coming up in Oct. so for me it was worth buying the app.

I've used Mobile Magic for my past two trips. The wait times are extremely accurate. The only downfall is that it doesn't work during EMHs. I don't think it's worth upgrading your equipment and extending your contract another 2 years just to get a handset that will do mobile magic.

The text messaging service is not at all close to what you get with MM.

You can get upto 4 texts a day that will.give you very vague info. While MM gives you real wait times from Disney's computer system, the text system gives you info like see now and high demand.

If you want to see the same info, goto m.disneyworld.com

I have read a lot of positive things about Mobile Magic. The one thing that is you can only see exact wait times for the park your in. So if you park hop, you will only see what the mobile Disney site states (ex. See Now).
I have a Droid. It is very comparable to the iphone and is getting better. Apple's iTunes is user friendly, but the android phones are getting a lot better for music.
I love my droid and now with the ability to have flash on it, I think will make it go real far. As for Apps for Disney, Lines is an excellent app (fee per year @$11). There is also Ride Hopper (free) which also is good. It does not know EMH since it is geared for all amusement parks (so you get Universal). I think with these two and my existing knowledge of Disney I am getting the info I would with Mobile Magic with the ability to see other parks for park hopping.
Mobile Magic will really beat all apps if they incorporate the virtual Fast Pass Ticket they were designing. Choose your attraction and "download" your fastpass without being at the machine. That is what I would want.

I've used Mobile Magic for my past two trips. The wait times are extremely accurate. The only downfall is that it doesn't work during EMHs. I don't think it's worth upgrading your equipment and extending your contract another 2 years just to get a handset that will do mobile magic.

Were you charged for data after the initial download? I currently do not have a data package and would have to pay 1.99 per mb of usage every time I used the app.

On the Disney FAQ website there is the following conflicting information.

How much does the application cost?
Disney Parks Mobile Magic costs $9.99 to download and use for 180 days. Once you download the app, you will not be charged for additional data usage.

"Is there a charge for the Disney Parks Mobile Website(s)?
Data rates may apply. Check with your service provider. There are no other charges. The experience is similar to browsing www.disneyworld.com as you would at home computer, but redesigned for the mobile phone environment."

I have also read that even Verizon customer service reps give conflicting info as well. I would really like to know from someone that has actually used the service.

Thanks!

Go here:

https://mediastore.verizonwireless....sney Parks Mobile Magic&contentType=APPLICATN

Right in the "Get App" box there's a *red* link that says "View Compatible Phones" and it's pretty up-to-date. There are a lot of phones on there that you wouldn't expect to be "app-friendly" but they are! (Seriously I have the G'zone Boulder, the construction worker type phone)

Great link! Thank you!

Went to the Verizon store yesterday and well let's just say that I learned more here in reading your posts than a half hour in the store!

Not sure I want a 2 year contract though if the Iphone rumors are true that would be great we could get one of those as well.

Have read on another thread about Iphone apps so I am checking those out.

Question though, what is Lines?

Great link! Thank you!

Went to the Verizon store yesterday and well let's just say that I learned more here in reading your posts than a half hour in the store!

Not sure I want a 2 year contract though if the Iphone rumors are true that would be great we could get one of those as well.

I am not certain but I am guessing its an Android app. I didn't see it from my Evo as I just looked but I just did a quick search. In the context he mentioned I would guess I am right...

As for the Iphone...I srsly would not wait for it. My guess is that CDMA phone that is in development is for the Chinese market. One of the bigger selling points for the Iphone is the voice and data at the same time which until LTE gets deployed Verizon won't be capable of.

Plus this "rumor" has been around for over a yr and until I see anything official I have high doubts about any of them being true. Plus the contract was reportedly a 5 yr exclusive contract to which they are only 3 yrs in.

But yea like a PP mentioned Android is a nice comparable phone to the Iphone and if I were on Verizon I would probably go with a Droid Incredible or possibly an Ally. Although I haven't tried the Ally it has a nice form factor.

Android market has around 100k apps now and is much much more customizable then the Iphone.

Edit: Would add if your not in hurry for upgrade and like iphone check out the new Galaxy S line that will head to Verizon soon.

Also I believe this is the app he was talking about...http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.touringplans.lines.android

I agree with a PP, I don't think I would upgrade my phone and possibly extend and/or upgrade my contract just to be able to get the Disney times.

(removed link since I don't yet have 10 posts, lol)

Thanks for sharing this link. DH and I both have the LG EnV Touch and it is listed as compatible. I would only do it for my phone obviously but I do also have lines.

Great link! Thank you!

Lines is a mobile app brought to you by TouringPlans.com! Works on most smartphones. Happy to answer any questions about it.

In terms of differentiating ourselves from Mobile Magic, the biggest things are: we work during EMH, we work when you're at home (MM only works for the park you're physically in), and we predict wait times for the rest of today and tomorrow. We also try to remove bias from the posted times in WDW -- to give you a better picture of how long you'll actually wait in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter