MNSSHP 2022 Check-in -- Dates, Costumes, and More!

We are going on August 16 and 19. My daughter starts her college program on the 15th and I'm using that as an excuse to stick around. We try to generally go light on the costume and just do matching shirts. Hate spending the night carrying accessories or being hot. I'd recommend bringing your own trick-or-treat bags. We bring something more waterproof so we can still ride Splash. We tend to wait until the end of the night to trick or treat anyway. No lines, tons of candy, and no worry carrying it on rides.

Going to my first NSS on opening night! Very excited but also nervous for the nightmare crowd stories I’ve been hearing.
We went opening night 2019 and it was for sure the most crowded party but still fun. I think it was the debut of the new Halloween fireworks as well. On the plus side the energy level is hype and everyone seems excited. Downside besides crowds is the CM's seem to be getting their "party legs" - getting used to the event - so there's some hiccups and oddness at times but definitely understandable. The shopping for party merchandise is also off the charts since it's the first time anyone can buy it I'd think...very long lines for that!

We are going on August 16 and 19. My daughter starts her college program on the 15th and I'm using that as an excuse to stick around. We try to generally go light on the costume and just do matching shirts. Hate spending the night carrying accessories or being hot. I'd recommend bringing your own trick-or-treat bags. We bring something more waterproof so we can still ride Splash. We tend to wait until the end of the night to trick or treat anyway. No lines, tons of candy, and no worry carrying it on rides.
That is awesome about your daughter and the college program. My daughter starts August 15th as well. Good luck to your daughter I know she will be making some really awesome core memories.

Change of costume for me!

I'm going to be doing a modified-for-late-August-in-Orlando-temperatures take on Valkyrie's outfit when they're fighting the shadow monsters at night in New Asgard. T-shirt rather than sweatshirt.

We'll be there on opening night as Muppet Babies! We attended opening night of 2019 and it was busy, but we still had a great time. Now I know how to plan a little better and to take advantage of the lower crowds when people (especially with littles) leave after the fireworks and last parade.

I was thinking of going on Sunday September 11th (weird date to actually write down). I see it starts at 7 and ends at 12am. I primarily would like to atttend for the atmosphere and also ride the attractions. My question, is the park packed? For the cost it would be great to have little wait time for the rides.

I was thinking of going on Sunday September 11th (weird date to actually write down). I see it starts at 7 and ends at 12am. I primarily would like to atttend for the atmosphere and also ride the attractions. My question, is the park packed? For the cost it would be great to have little wait time for the rides.

I haven't been since pre-Covid, and of course this is the first year with the real MNSSHP having returned, but that being said-- the crowds are so low that in our opinion due to reduced capacity for ticketed events that it has ALWAYS been worth the money for party nights. We have gotten on just about anything we've wanted! Everyone is so dispersed, too-- between special character meet and greets, the trick or treating, parades and fireworks, etc. It's my favorite thing Disney does all year. (Not to mention, the best parade they put on, hands down.)

My friend and I are going on Aug. 30th. It is a quick 3 day trip to for MNSSHP and to go to a Typhoon Lagoon. My friend hasn't been to a Disney water park, so this is a good time to try it.

We are going as Lilo and Stitch. She is a huge stitch fan and we are "disneybounding" them so we can stay as comfortable as possible.

I haven't been since pre-Covid, and of course this is the first year with the real MNSSHP having returned, but that being said-- the crowds are so low that in our opinion due to reduced capacity for ticketed events that it has ALWAYS been worth the money for party nights. We have gotten on just about anything we've wanted! Everyone is so dispersed, too-- between special character meet and greets, the trick or treating, parades and fireworks, etc. It's my favorite thing Disney does all year. (Not to mention, the best parade they put on, hands down.)
Okay this made me feel better. I was wondering what we could get done and a lot of the reviews I read make it seem so tough! We aren't interested in meet & greets (kids waited a long time in the hot sun a few years ago for one and they haven't forgotten, lol), so our main things are the parade, fireworks, trick or treating (probably lots knowing my kids, lol) and the four attractions with overlays + haunted mansion. Hoping we can fit it all in =)

The reviews talk about getting a spot for the parade a lot, but I know with festival of fantasy we have always just come last minute and been totally fine with our spot. Hoping it's at least as good with this one.

Fireworks we haven't been so lucky and I find last minute is terrible usually. Not going for a dessert party (it will take too much time!) but hoping with reduced crowd it's better than a normal night.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. Tickets purchased!!!

Changing my costume to be an "ish" version of Valkyrie's outfit during the initial fight against the shadow monsters in New Asgard from Love and Thunder.

Going September 25th and doing Elliott from Pete's Dragon. It will be more bounding than costume. If you know Elliott, you will know my costume/outfit.

Okay this made me feel better. I was wondering what we could get done and a lot of the reviews I read make it seem so tough! We aren't interested in meet & greets (kids waited a long time in the hot sun a few years ago for one and they haven't forgotten, lol), so our main things are the parade, fireworks, trick or treating (probably lots knowing my kids, lol) and the four attractions with overlays + haunted mansion. Hoping we can fit it all in =)

The reviews talk about getting a spot for the parade a lot, but I know with festival of fantasy we have always just come last minute and been totally fine with our spot. Hoping it's at least as good with this one.

Fireworks we haven't been so lucky and I find last minute is terrible usually. Not going for a dessert party (it will take too much time!) but hoping with reduced crowd it's better than a normal night.

I'm glad that helped! Our typical party looks like this:

We'll get there around 4pm (when they start letting party guests enter) and do normal park things until the park is closed for the party. Then, we prioritize the trick-or-treating and Halloween overlays. We'll typically stake out a spot on Main Street about an hour before the later running of Boo to You, which we find a) gives us loads of time to knock out the rides and trick or treating, and b) is a more fun place to wait since we can have one person stake out our seats while others go shop/get a snack/etc. Then after Boo to You there is still plenty of time left for whatever you may have missed beforehand! I find a lot of families with younger children watch the first Boo to You parade of the night and then head out-- so depending on the ages of your kids, if they can stay awake for that second parade, it's a LOT easier to find a good seat and crowds will be even thinner afterwards!

Alright so, now my fiance and I are having a crisis-- we'd planned to be Jack Sparrow and the Redhead for our September Not So Scary, but now we're thinking Mandalorian and Ahsoka.

Has anyone done the Mandalorian before? I know the helmet won't be allowed since it's a mask, but did you find any way to create a still-convincing costume? Fiance's first words when I mentioned he probably can't wear the helmet were "But he can't take his helmet off!!!" lol.

As for Ahsoka, has anyone had luck with a particular version of her costume on Amazon (or really anywhere that would ship decently fast?) I'm seeing mixed reviews and am hesitant to go on and hit purchase just yet!

Last edited:
Going with my DH who will be a tourist visiting Fl.🙄 and I will be reusing my Ravenclaw uniform from my May Universal trip.

Alright so, now my fiance and I are having a crisis-- we'd planned to be Jack Sparrow and the Redhead for our September Not So Scary, but now we're thinking Mandalorian and Ahsoka.

Has anyone done the Mandalorian before? I know the helmet won't be allowed since it's a mask, but did you find any way to create a still-convincing costume? Fiance's first words when I mentioned he probably can't wear the helmet were "But he can't take his helmet off!!!" lol.

As for Ahsoka, has anyone had luck with a particular version of her costume on Amazon (or really anywhere that would ship decently fast?) I'm seeing mixed reviews and am hesitant to go on and hit purchase just yet!
Is there such a thing as Ashoka ears? If not maybe you can make them?

Edit- sorry, you meant a mandalorian helmet, not Ashoka. Idk. I hope someone has a great idea for you…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter