Missing Last 3 days of school.

goofygal1975

DIS Veteran
What is your opinion on the importance of the last 3 days of school for a 3rd grader? I just booked a cruise for May 2004, and my son will be missing these last 3 days of the school year. I have a meeting w/his 2nd grade teacher this year, so I plan on asking her opinon also. As far as I know, at that age/grade, there are NO testing those last few days. Thanks for any input!!:D

Educational wise, I'm sure he wouldn't miss much, but I'm sure he'd miss a lot of fun!!! I always LOVED the last week of school, it was fun, and I wouldn't want my kids to miss it either. Is there anyway you can cruise the next week??

I wish I could sail the next week!! But that is when the prices go up for the summer season. At the rate that they are then, I really couldn't swing it!:( I know how much fun the last few days at school are at that age, but I do figure he will also be having a great time on the cruise!! :D

Academically he is not going to miss anything. I would be shocked if any testing is done the last three days. Teachers know there is no way kids are going to be at their best 3 days before school is out. And as you say, he'll be having a great time on the cruise. Last Feb when we went on our trip, my DD missed a fun event at school. When we got back and she realized she missed it, she was kind of mad until I said, "Excuse me, you were at WDW!" "Oh, yeah!" she replied.

Here in Northern Texas 2 of the
last 3 days of school are 1/2 days.
I have no idea why. Seems like the
last week is always "party central"
to me.
I think your child will get much
more out of spending the time with
their family.
That is my stand and personal
opinion on missing any school. I'm
sure others have and will disagree.
We should all do what is best
for our own families and only we
know what that is. It does make
for interesting reading to get
everyone's opinions though. :)

Our school is very flexible about "missed days," within reason, of course. Last year when I told the teacher I would have my daughter out an extra day or two at Spring Break time, she asked me to take a few of the other kids, too! They get nutty at break times and at the end of the year. Our school had "field day" type events lst year and the kids also helped clean out the room for the summer. No big deal to miss! Perhaps your son's teacher would allow him to celebrate HIS last day in a special way. You could bring cupcakes and juices and I am sure the kids would just love it! Our school is very welcoming of Moms bringing in goodies for the little ones. It's so nice to spoil them a little when they are not too old (and embarassed) to appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter