Miss middle school or go during spring break?

If she has always wanted to celebrate her birthday at Star Wars land, I would go for the May trip. DD always wanted to be at Disney on her birthday, and I'm sorry we never did it and that we didn't do it in middle school. We took DD out for a week every year for WDW from Kindergarten to 5th, and then from 6th to 8th we took her out for a few days because they only get a part of a week for fall break. Never had any issues- and she had 2 high school courses her 8th grade year. I would E-mail her teachers a couple of weeks before the trip and often they would give her stuff before the trip to do, or some to do on the plane. Other stuff she would just catch up when she got back. Once they hit high school it is too hard to miss a whole week, even for good students, especially if they do things outside of school (sports; dance; theatre) because there will be a lot of work to make up. Also, our district doesn't consider high school absences for vacation excused, so it messes with their ability to exempt a final. Middle school really doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Time flies when they get to high school too, and before you know it they will be graduated and gone. Treasure that time you have and make those memories! The only issue we would have is if there were end of the year concerts, shows, events etc. that might be missed in may. As long as she isn't missing any of that, I would plan for a WDW birthday.

I think your plan to book both and see how middle school goes the first semester is a good one. You can talk to her teachers about it that first semester too- both in terms of how she is doing in school and missing a week. As long as she is doing well, I think you would be fine for a trip.

Last edited:
Miss school! We just came back, made sure mid terms were done, my freshman has some catching up to do, but the school was aware and he knew what would be required. My Senior didn't have much to make up. We also went when my daughter was in 8th grade, you don't get this time back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter