Mirena Users: Experiences, please

I'm on my third Mirena. I love it because I don't get my period at all. I feel like I have a high pain tolerance (two regular births with no drugs/epidurals.) I compare the procedure to the pain of labor. The first two times, I just took Motrin beforehand. This last time I was prescribed something but I'm not convinced it made a difference. But I will endure the pain of insertion and removal because it certainly makes my life easier with no cycles whatsoever.

And for comparison, I had a cooper IUD that resulted in excessive bleeding each month. Apparently my body needs the hormones.

I'm on my third Mirena. I love it because I don't get my period at all. I feel like I have a high pain tolerance (two regular births with no drugs/epidurals.) I compare the procedure to the pain of labor. The first two times, I just took Motrin beforehand. This last time I was prescribed something but I'm not convinced it made a difference. But I will endure the pain of insertion and removal because it certainly makes my life easier with no cycles whatsoever.

And for comparison, I had a cooper IUD that resulted in excessive bleeding each month. Apparently my body needs the hormones.
Whoa, lucky lady! I definitely do not compare it to the pain of labor! :scared1::laughing:

I hated the Mirena. HATED IT. I suffered for almost 2 years of nonsense periods with it befre my GYN agreed to remove it. With it my periods came and went so willy nilly...I'd bleed for 2weeks, then nothing for a couple of days, then bleed for a week, then nothing for 4 weeks, then 2 days, then nothing for 2 weeks, then I'd bleed like I was hemorrhaging and going to die. Like ruined clothes and bedding. Like bleeding through the mega ultra tampons in 30 minutes.

Insertion hurt like a mutha. I child birth feels anything like that then count me the heck OUT. Removal did not hurt.

6 months after I had my Mirena out I wound up needing a hysterectomy.

I've had mirena for over a year now.

Placement - I was nervous and a little tense but honestly I felt nothing when she put it in. She said you're done and I didn't even know she had started! Definitely did not need any pain pills before, during, or after.

That night I had some minor cramping, nothing too severe or any worse than bad period cramps.

The pros - I dont have to think about it, no pill to remember. I haven't experienced any mood swings or headaches while on it. I also haven't had a period in about 10 months which is awesome.

The cons - my face is breaking out and my hair is falling out. I'm taking biotin to help the thinning of my already way too thin hair but the biotin has made my face greasier and now I'm dealing with more breakouts - before Mirena I had perfectly clear skin. I haven't gained any weight but I am hungry all the time and having a difficult time losing weight. Not sure how much longer I'm going to deal with these side effects before I have it removed.

Every woman I have talked to about Mirena had drastically different experiences so you really wont know until you get it yourself.

My DD has a Mirena. She got it when she was a competitive swimmer and didn't want to deal with her period which was very heavy. She had some bad cramping for a couple of months and she continued to have her period for a few months as well. Her doctor put her on birth control pills in addition to the Mirena for about 4-6 months until her body got used to it. She is just fine with it now, but she does have an occasional light period.

I had my first Mirena inserted back in June. No kids. I had been on Seasonale birth control. which is the period every 3 months one, for many years but wanted something other than the pill. As mentioned, some brief intense cramping occurred during insertion and then for a few hours following, I had what felt like moderate period cramps. I just took Advil and used a ThermaCare heating pad meant for menstrual cramps and was fine by later that night/the next day. I also drove my home and very minimal bleeding that day. Since insertion I have not had any bleeding at all but I do notice I get PMS-like symptoms each month. No real cramping though. I've had a good experience as far as my period goes.

The only negative, and I'm not 100% sure this is from Mirena, but is that I have been experiencing significant hair loss since about September. I am susceptible to hormonal hair loss and have had it twice before, once on the Nuva Ring, so I'm fairly certain this is from Mirena. My doctor says it's not typical and can't confirm its the Mirena causing it. Anyone else experience this?

I'll add that two of my best friends had or have Mirena and love it. Two other friends with the copper IUD have extremely heavy periods.

I was on Seasonale - and got a blood clot. So my GYN recommended Mirena - she had one.
Well I am on my second and it is AWESOME (for me).
Increased sex drive, weight loss, no periods.
I didn't have any real pain during insertion - a quick pinch and it was over and I went right back to work.
Not having to worry about birth control is amazing.

Late to the party, but I got mine 2 years ago, 6 weeks after my son was born. I don't have it for BC, as I'm completely infertile (premature diminished ovarian reserve/premature ovarian failure), but hopefully to keep my endometriosis at bay and keep my lining thin so my hyperplasia doesn't return. My doctor doesn't want me taking pills, as I had some concerning pains in my chest and calves last time I took them, and my mother has a history of DVT and PE after taking BCP.

Nobody told me to take any kind of meds prior to insertion. I don't remember if I felt anything, but I did get a little nauseated - for some reason, that happens whenever I get a doctor poking around in there. She made me lie down for 15 minutes afterward to make sure I didn't pass out or anything.

My periods got significantly lighter. From February until mid-October of this year, I didn't have one at all :banana: Then I had 2 within 3 weeks of each other :crazy2:

All of the ladies in my mom's group on FB who have one report significant weight gain. I actually weigh less than I did before I got pregnant, but I'm a size larger. My recent bloodwork shows my A1C right on the "prediabetic" border, when in the past it's never been higher than 4.9. I have eaten low carb/low sugar for many years before pregnancy, and have not changed that or my exercise routine (if anything, I'm exercising a lot more now that I have a very active, demanding toddler!). If I recall correctly, the paperwork that accompanied the Mirena did say something about certain patients experiencing glucose intolerance, so it makes me wonder.

So basically, I don't care for it, but I feel I don't have much choice. I either look fat and get treated as if I'm diabetic, or I get uterine cancer.

I loved my Mirenas. I got my first for my 35th birthday present. It was definitely uncomfortable going in, so if you are a pain person, you should take whatever you need. I didn't have a period at all for the first five years (yay!). I spotted a bit when I had the new one installed for my 40th birthday. Again, not comfy, but not horrible. I was diagnosed with breast cancer just before my 45th birthday (all gone now, another 'yay!') and they made me switch to Paraguard. It sucks. I thought between the chemo and my age and the IUD I would be done with periods. Not so much. I am as irregular as all get out. If they let me go back to Mirena I would pay full price to go back. It was awesome!

I had zero pain with insertion but I have 3 kids so I definitely think that makes a difference.

Horrible experience with it though. I spotted for 10 months straight. Wanted to get it out earlier but doc said keep being patient. Also I became a cranky irritable person to the point of being aggressive. Got it out and felt like myself again. Everyone is different and you don’t know until you try

I'm on my second Mirena IUD and love it. Yes it hurt to insert and remove, but the pain was temporary. I have not really had a period in 6 years and that is fine with me. I had mine placed after my 4th child. I was apprehensive as I read negative things online, but have had no issues. I rarely cramp, and if I have a period it's just very light spotting that's over almost as quickly as it starts.

I am not on Mirena but it has been highly suggested that I do get one. 3 different GYN's (2 from the same office) and 1 dermatologist. In the past I have had hair loss with the pill and after not taking the pill for several years started having horrible periods. I still can't bring myself to have the Mirena. I don't like the idea of some object being placed inside of me. If I have a reaction I need to go back to the doctor to get it taken care of. I decided to go back on the pill for now. I feel with the pill I can stop it right away if I need to which I had to last month. I got a different genic one and I started to get really dizzy from it so i stopped taking it and got the name brand again.

I'm on my second Mirena and I love it. I got the first when my oldest was 10 months old, had it taken out when we wanted a second kid and had the second inserted at my 6-week checkup after my second was born. I don't have periods, just occasional spotting (very occasional). For insertion, I took some regular strength motrin and I did have cramping and spotting immediately after the procedure and then for a few days, but nothing major. It wasn't comfortable being inserted, but it wasn't horribly painful either. I'm planning to get a new one when this one needs to come out. My husband theorizes that my struggle to lose weight might be related to the Mirena, but I don't have any evidence of that as I've gained and lost weight both with and without the Mirena in the past.

In the past I have had hair loss with the pill and after not taking the pill for several years started having horrible periods. I still can't bring myself to have the Mirena. I don't like the idea of some object being placed inside of me.

I mentioned up-thread that I had significant hair loss as the result of my Mirena. I had the same reaction on the Nuva Ring as well. Never experienced it on the pill though. I still have the Mirena but will be talking to my doctor in a few weeks to see if there's some kind of supplemental hormone I can take to offset the progesterone in Mirena that is likely causing my hair loss. But anyway, my point is that I don't think Mirena is necessarily the answer to hair loss either. Might make it worse!

Yes, tried it. It was painful on all accounts and I ended up telling the doctor to remove it before we even got through 6 months. Back on pills I went...

I had zero pain with insertion but I have 3 kids so I definitely think that makes a difference.

Horrible experience with it though. I spotted for 10 months straight. Wanted to get it out earlier but doc said keep being patient. Also I became a cranky irritable person to the point of being aggressive. Got it out and felt like myself again. Everyone is different and you don’t know until you try

I have 3 kids too, and getting the Mirena put in was worse than any of those 3 labors.
There is such a variation in what women feel during insertion and how it effects you overall that you just never know how it is going to be for you personally. Luckily like in your case, it can be removed and you can find something else that works better for you.

OP, I hope you have the best of both worlds, easy painless insertion and no crazy side effects after.

I'm on my 3rd mirena (had the Paraguard before that) and I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.....lol. The only time that I had pain on insertion was with this last one but I think it may have been the doctor more than anything. If they are offering drugs to ease the pain on insertion, I would take them up on it! I have no periods at all and love not having to worry about bc.

Yes, tried it. It was painful on all accounts and I ended up telling the doctor to remove it before we even got through 6 months. Back on pills I went...

Do you feel it in there all the time, like an uncomfortable pain or a full on cramping pain. My dr has recommended I get one, but I am a bit wary due to reading reviews, like the OP.

Last edited:
I had mine inserted about 2 weeks ago. It was just a pinch and some normal cramping. The worst part was the speculum insertion. It took the doctor 3 times to get it in the right place. I don't know why she couldn't get it in the proper place. I haven't had any problems since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter