• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MinnieYC's DLP Restaurant Reviews

MinnieYC

DIS Veteran
Here’s just a mini restaurant review from our trip.
We’re not really big on fast food, so we usually did an early lunch at a park restaurant followed by a later dinner at the Disneyland Hotel (the park closed at 8, so usually soon after then). Although we had made some reservations, they turned out not to be necessary.

Just a note for all of those who have not yet tried a DLP restaurant: most (if not all) of them have menus in six different languages (French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch). English is definitely always available. Many of them have one big menu with a “chapter” for each language. If you only get a French menu, definitely speak up, and you’ll get one in the appropriate language.

California Grill:
My favorite restaurant in all of DLP. :love: Overall, it was great. It really was a true dining experience rather than just a meal. We went there twice, as we really enjoyed it there the first time we went. The food was fresh and delicious, and the service was great. The presentation was fabulous. Also, the restaurant atmosphere itself is lovely. Great views of the park, which is really nice when it is all lit up at night. :flower:
When we visit DLP again, even if just for a day trip, we will go back here for dinner, for sure.
They say that it is a mixture of French and California cuisines. I found it more to be a nice balance between French and Mediterranean with a few California touches here and there.
Coincidentally, the California Grill at WDW may be my favorite restaurant there too, but they really have nothing in common besides the name.
Only drawback? Price. But there is a 43 euro prix fixe menu, which is nice.
The starters and main courses were fantastic, and the desserts were especially good. :)
Yep, I really liked this one. :cloud9:

Inventions:
Very nice! :sunny: The dinner here is a character buffet for 43 euros (I think that’s the price). The buffet area is not terribly big, but the selection was huge! The selections included cold & hot appetizers, hot dinner selections, cheeses, and a huge variety of desserts (you won’t even come close to trying everything).
The selections consisted of everything from very simple things with basic flavors to much more sophisticated ideas, with everything in between. I definitely appreciated this. I feel like many WDW buffets only offer very basic selections without a wide range of flavors, and rarely do they have anything that can be considered “fine” cuisine. Even though the appetizers and main courses are delicious, save lots of room for the great desserts!
Another thing I appreciated was that the food was presented in small serving trays, so it was replaced often, so hot foods were always hot and cold foods cold. This has been a problem in many WDW restaurants.
There are great views of the park from some of the tables here.
This is a great option for dinner on days when you either don’t have lunch or only have a small lunch.
My only gripe? It’s not a huge one at all, but it’s the kids with the characters. Well, overall, I found the children at DLP to be much better behaved than at WDW. This was the one large exception! When a character showed up, there would be screams of the character’s name in at least 4 different languages, and many would run from their tables across the restaurant to the character begging for an autograph. Pretty chaotic. :crazy: Many would even bump into people on their way to or from the buffet, so you had to be careful if you were carrying a plate.
Overall, another great time. If we had another night in DLP, we would have come here again for dinner. ::MinnieMo

Walt’s:
We went here for lunch early in our stay. The food was very good. The restaurant setting was quite charming. But the atmosphere was a little dull, and the service left a bit to be desired. I just did not find it to be terribly welcoming. For example, they wouldn’t seat us by the window, claiming it was reserved (the place was only about half full, there were several such tables available, it was past the time of the lunch rush, and no one arrived to sit at these supposedly reserved tables). I don’t see myself making a point to come here for lunch again, especially if I only have a short time in the parks.
The food is described as “American.” I found it to be simple selections with French and regional American elements (e.g. they had Chesapeake-style crab cakes).
There are no characters at lunch.

Auberge de Cendrillon:
My favorite restaurant in the park. princess: We had previously been here twice for dinner, and on this trip, we went twice for lunch, including our final meal at DLP.
Formerly, this restaurant used to serve a cold buffet for lunch, but now it is the same full menu at lunch and dinner.
They serve lovely French cuisine here. Nothing “daring” or “dramatic,” but everything was delicious. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed, and the service was very friendly. If I only had one day in Disneyland, I’d go here for lunch or dinner. :wizard:

Blue Lagoon:
We did not get to eat here on this trip, but I feel the need to mention it. We’ve been here before on previous trips, and it’s my second-favorite restaurant in the park, behind Auberge. The setting is beautiful, I’ve always enjoyed the food, and the service has always been friendly and efficient. Always a good dining experience. :)

Thanks for the restaurant trip report :)
Had thought we would try Inventions for characters at buffet Dinner at 6.00pm. Normally our troop are good at waiting their turn till the characters arrive at the table, so hopefully it will not be too disruptive.

Reid

Cyrano said:
Thanks for the restaurant trip report :)
Had thought we would try Inventions for characters at buffet Dinner at 6.00pm. Normally our troop are good at waiting their turn till the characters arrive at the table, so hopefully it will not be too disruptive.

I forgot to mention something, thanks for the reminder! :) Despite the somewhat-chaotic atmosphere with the characters, all of the characters are very good about making rounds to all tables, so your little ones will get all of their pictures and autographs. :flower:

Thanks. I would not want to spoil their fun, but not keen on them picking up bad habits ;)

Reid

Reid,

I agree about picking up bad habits! My 2 are also happy to wait until the characters come to our table but I do find it annoying when other children are running around and hanging round the characters and the parents just sit there and do nothing.

Joanne

I agree, Joanne and Reid. It's just not fair on well-behaved kids when the parents of badly-behaved ones do nothing.

MinnieYC, thanks for this restaurant report.:sunny: I think we will definitely do the character buffet at Inventions. I also like the idea of the Blue Lagoon and Auberge de Cendrillon. Am I going to have enough days to try all these restaurants out? :rotfl2:

Great report. I want to try each one but I don't think we can get to all of them on this trip. It sounds like it will be hard to decide.:confused3 All decisions should be this difficult, right? :rotfl2:

Minnie, your reviews were excellent, thank you!

I love Auberge and the Blue Lagoon and I think I need to try California Grill next time too :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter