Minnie Vans "Uber" like transport begins soon!

As my friend above said, the roads belong to Reedy Creek Improvement District which is a public governing body set up by the FL legislature to govern the "Florida Project", which we all know is Disney. RCID builds and maintains them however, they are public roads. Orange County Sheriff's Dept and FHP provide investigation and law enforcement services on contract to RCID.

Right...and reedy creek can issue municipal bonds...

Which means the shareholders never pay.

So that's a pretty important caveat to "disney owns it", huh?

They don't own the bill.

Uber is having internal management issues, Disney is hiring 1000 new CM's, many for transportation.

:earsboy: Bill

I have heard...

The "Disney uber" service will be like a driving concierge, with the driver having the ability to make reservations for guests, as well as adjustments to their itineraries.

I "wonder" if the fleet of vehicles used will also be unique to WDW and offer extra space and comfort for guests? Wouldn't that be great! ;)

Believe the price may be considerably different to uber, and it will offer a more premium experience. Uber and other services will probably be relatively unaffected.

I do know people who won't use Uber due to perceived safety issues. They would use a service like this due to the drivers being vetted by Disney. Personally, it just comes down to cost and convenience for me. Whatever company offers the most convenient services at the best price is the one who will get my money for transportation.

What are the car seat laws for Florida anyway? Would a service like this really be something most families could use? I know here in California kids are required to be in a booster seat in the back seat when they're under 8 years old and have graduated from a harness car seat, and it is only once they've reached 8 years old or 4'9" that they're allowed to be secured by a regular seat belt. If Florida has any laws like that, a lot of families could be blocked from using the service, which does make me wonder what they're envisioning for this service and its functionality.

I bet Disney will bundle this service with something else like someone mentioned. And if the person was like a concierge and helped to get reservations I could see how the value is added. My guess is that Disney wouldn't do something that would just compete with Uber but would try to offer something that would be more and that they could upcharge way more for because it's Disney and they continue to find ways to separate ppl from their money (me included!). Plus, unlike Uber that uses independent contractors, if Disney is using cast members, there's no way that they could compete since cast members are employees which means taxes and benefits and extra cost that Uber doesn't incur. I think they'll bundle or make it more attractive (and more expensive) than Uber.

Right...and reedy creek can issue municipal bonds...

Which means the shareholders never pay.

So that's a pretty important caveat to "disney owns it", huh?

They don't own the bill.

Who do you think pays back the bonds? Taxes collected at and from WDW. It is an odd arrangement, but from my understanding, basically all tax dollars in RCID come directly from Disney. RCID then uses those tax dollars for infrastructure.

Yes, if all of a sudden Disney decided to close everything down and sell the land, RCID would be holding the bag on the bonds without a tax stream, but that is pretty unlikely.

I do know people who won't use Uber due to perceived safety issues. They would use a service like this due to the drivers being vetted by Disney. Personally, it just comes down to cost and convenience for me. Whatever company offers the most convenient services at the best price is the one who will get my money for transportation.

What are the car seat laws for Florida anyway? Would a service like this really be something most families could use? I know here in California kids are required to be in a booster seat in the back seat when they're under 8 years old and have graduated from a harness car seat, and it is only once they've reached 8 years old or 4'9" that they're allowed to be secured by a regular seat belt. If Florida has any laws like that, a lot of families could be blocked from using the service, which does make me wonder what they're envisioning for this service and its functionality.

Car seat is required until 3. From the cruise forums, I've seen a lot of people say that no taxi will take you at the airport if the kid isn't in a car seat because there has been mass enforcement there.

I doubt they would be able to keep them off property. This would just be a competing business like Taxi-Uber-Lyft-Disney service

I don't think so. Wouldn't make any sense for them not to ban them if they're providing the service and airports DO ban them. It sounds right up Disney's alley.

I'd like to think it's a liability issue on Disney's part but frankly I think they've just seen an untapped market they can make their own.

Editing to say I don't really have a dog in the fight. I would use the Disney service. I won't use the Uber service. I disagree with the business model and I also feel like there are too many risks to use the share economy. They don't vet their drivers well enough. At least taxis and bus drivers have had background checks done and have also had (presumably) some professional development or defensive driving courses.

Last edited:
You don't take money from the mouse, if Disney sees that they are losing money on a service that they can't provide, they will offer it.

:earsboy: Bill

Whatever service will get me to the Disney Character Warehouse locations is the one I will use.

Who do you think pays back the bonds? Taxes collected at and from WDW. It is an odd arrangement, but from my understanding, basically all tax dollars in RCID come directly from Disney. RCID then uses those tax dollars for infrastructure.

Yes, if all of a sudden Disney decided to close everything down and sell the land, RCID would be holding the bag on the bonds without a tax stream, but that is pretty unlikely.

It is an interesting arrangement...but the important thing is that it never shows on the disney books. They aren't "on the hook"

WDW has more special privileges than any other entity for what it is in US. Roy Disney insisted on this in 1964 and florida obliged. It is the Vatican of the US. There have been excellent books written on this. I recommend "married to the mouse"

Rcid and the incorporate town of lake buena vista shield the "company"

Last edited:
Look at Epcot center drive, world drive, buena vista drive, Osceola parkway when you go on them the next time...notice there's no difference in the roads at all except the occasional purple Mickey sign...what does that tell you?

Surprised nobody has asked, or posted yet, but I'm curious as to what the cost would be for a typical ride between a resort and park?

We always drive, and since we already have a car, tend to drive to get around the property. I'm always surprised at how little traffic there is. The biggest isssue with driving is the long walks, or tram rides through the lots. Taking a ride service would have the added benefit of being dropped off closer to the front entrance.

Nobody has touched on the hint that these will all be electric vehicles (note that the driver must be knowledgeable and describe the features). Wonder whose? Chevy Spark? Nissan Leaf? Something as yet unreleased? Can't imagine they'd shell out for Tesla...

Surprised nobody has asked, or posted yet, but I'm curious as to what the cost would be for a typical ride between a resort and park?

We always drive, and since we already have a car, tend to drive to get around the property. I'm always surprised at how little traffic there is. The biggest isssue with driving is the long walks, or tram rides through the lots. Taking a ride service would have the added benefit of being dropped off closer to the front entrance.

I just assume it will be more than Uber and less than a taxi. I have a hunch Uber will disappear when this rolls out though.

Nobody has touched on the hint that these will all be electric vehicles (note that the driver must be knowledgeable and describe the features). Wonder whose? Chevy Spark? Nissan Leaf? Something as yet unreleased? Can't imagine they'd shell out for Tesla...

I was thinking the same thing...at least There's an upside there

Honda is a sponsor of the Autopia at Disneyland now - so perhaps they keep with that connection

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter