• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minnie Van after Fireworks?

rexmism

Registered
Hi everyone,
Taking the bus from MK after fireworks has been one of the worst parts of our Disney trips in the past, so for our trip this June, we've been considering trying to take a Minnie van back. This poses several questions:
1. Has anyone tried this? How has it worked? Is there a big demand after fireworks, making it harder to get one?
2. We are staying at Art of Animation. The most recent list I can find of resorts offering Minnie van service includes Pop Century but not AoA. We wouldn't mind walking across if they had to take us there, but since you apparently access Minnie van service somehow by linking to your MDE account, I'm wondering if it would even let us. Anybody know this?
3. In addition to me and my wife, there will be 4 kids - 8, 6, and 2 three year olds. I have seen they have two car seats in the trunk. Will the 8 and 6 year olds be required to be in car seats? I suppose I'd consider taking 2 vans back if we had to, although I'm not sure if there is an easy way of requesting two at once (or could my wife and I each request one even though we're on the same reservation?).
4. We'll also have a double stroller with us. Would there be any problem fitting that in the back?
Sorry for all the complicated questions, and thanks!

First , 6 and 8 year olds don't need a car seat in Florida, nor in most states so that won't be an issue.

If you don't have Minnie vans added already, you won't be able to call one as AoA isn't one that can add it. Minnie vans are like gold at that time of night, just FYI.

Your best bet would be to hit up uber/lyft to a pickup from Contemporary/BLT and walk over there.

I did a Lyft pickup (better surge pricing that night) from Epcot at 10 minutes after midnight New Years Eve. I believe I may have been the first person to call a car, lol. Family and I moved at a quick clip from our fireworks spot to the pickup spot and beat our driver there, it was a madhouse. People who walked out to the pickup spot before reserving in their app we're paying $70 due to surge pricing hitting full stride. I think it cost us $25 with a $10 tip. I felt bad for our driver, she was a CM who drove when she got off work and it took awhile to get out of the lot.

Obviously New Years Eve fireworks is a worst of the worst case. Call an Uber XL and you should all be able to get into one big SUV.

Thanks for the info! Interesting about the car seat laws. In Ohio, where I live, under 8 has to be in some kind of seat.
I guess I'll hope that they add AoA in the next couple months. According to what I've found, they added Pop Century on 2/5 and Port Orleans on 2/16. I couldn't find any additions for March, but it seems plausible to add a big one like AoA soon...
I've read that you can get an Uber XL with "a" car seat, but I'm having trouble finding confirmation that you can get one with 2 car seats. Anyone know this?

I've read that you can get an Uber XL with "a" car seat, but I'm having trouble finding confirmation that you can get one with 2 car seats. Anyone know this?
No, Uber offers only one car seat per vehicle.

Thanks for the info! Interesting about the car seat laws. In Ohio, where I live, under 8 has to be in some kind of seat.
I guess I'll hope that they add AoA in the next couple months. According to what I've found, they added Pop Century on 2/5 and Port Orleans on 2/16. I couldn't find any additions for March, but it seems plausible to add a big one like AoA soon...
One car seat only and not certain that the car seat would be one that would fit even a 6 yo as in FL the law is a 6 yo and up does not use a car seat. While that is a lax law, it is the law in FL. If you feel strongly that your 2 need a car seats then you may want to bring something like Bubblebums

As for trying to get a Minnie Van after fireworks, I wouldn't count on it. That is one of the times we tried at the beginning of March and never were able to get matched with a vehicle. Luckily for us we didn't NEED one, as in need the car seat option, we just wanted it for DGD to use on her birthday, so we went with Uber instead. Minnie Vans are stretched very thin right now, due to their expanding to so many resorts. It is the only trip since August were we've had trouble getting matched with rides.

Thanks for the replies. I don't need my older kids to be in car seats if they don't have to be. The problem is I have two 3-year olds who do need car seats. So apparently Minnie vans work if we can get one, but Uber only works if we get two of them.
I'm curious if you can walk over to Pop Century and get a code from the desk there to activate the Minnie vans, but I can't find an answer on this. And in the usual tradition of Disney, it can probably vary based on the CM you talk to, the time of day, the weather, stock market value, etc...

I tried for a Minnie Van after the fireworks last night and we could not get one. Luckily, we waited 30-40 minutes before exiting and the park was open for another 1+. We did not get on the bus that pulled up as we walked, intentionally, standing room packed. We got in line as it pulled away and 10 minutes later a bus pulled up and less than 10 people loaded.

We had no problem getting one going to the park yesterday, just going back late at night.

Thanks for the replies. I don't need my older kids to be in car seats if they don't have to be. The problem is I have two 3-year olds who do need car seats. So apparently Minnie vans work if we can get one, but Uber only works if we get two of them.
I'm curious if you can walk over to Pop Century and get a code from the desk there to activate the Minnie vans, but I can't find an answer on this. And in the usual tradition of Disney, it can probably vary based on the CM you talk to, the time of day, the weather, stock market value, etc...
From what I understand, not any longer. At one time yes, they were doing this. But, as they expanded to so many resorts they stopped.
Now, will you still find a CM that will do it? Possibly. But I'd put the odds at low. Combine that with low odds at even getting a Minnie Van if you can get it added and I would probably not bother. I would just take my time leaving the park and take the bus. Getting in the first wave is the worse place to be. Hanging back is better.

When the parks close you wait for a Minnie Van will probably be as long as the bus wait. There really are less then 50 of these things and they aren't all active at any one time.

Thanks, great information to know everyone! It's surprising they still have so few if the demand is high for them.
Are Ubers any easier to get after fireworks? I'm wondering how hard it would be to get two XL's each with a car seat. It feels like that could be difficult, too. I guess I may consider Uber for when one of us adults is just taking the two older kids to or from the parks, no car seats needed. I assume then it's not too tough or expensive to get one?

Thanks, great information to know everyone! It's surprising they still have so few if the demand is high for them.
Are Ubers any easier to get after fireworks? I'm wondering how hard it would be to get two XL's each with a car seat. It feels like that could be difficult, too. I guess I may consider Uber for when one of us adults is just taking the two older kids to or from the parks, no car seats needed. I assume then it's not too tough or expensive to get one?
You won't need 2 UberXl's; since you'd be breaking up into 2 parties of 3, at least one of the cars could be an UberX with car seat. Whether you would still need 1 XL for the stroller, I don't know. Would it fit in the trunk of the smallest 4-door 5-seat car on the market?

As for availability after fireworks -- sorry, no experience there. If they are available, fares might be higher due to surge pricing. You may want to wait a half hour or so to see if they come down.

You won't need 2 UberXl's; since you'd be breaking up into 2 parties of 3, at least one of the cars could be an UberX with car seat. Whether you would still need 1 XL for the stroller, I don't know. Would it fit in the trunk of the smallest 4-door 5-seat car on the market?

As for availability after fireworks -- sorry, no experience there. If they are available, fares might be higher due to surge pricing. You may want to wait a half hour or so to see if they come down.
They need 2 Uber's with car seats (2 3 yo's)

Yes, there are a lot of Uber/Lyft's around as parks close. It will almost certainly be Surge pricing (forget the name Lyft uses but same concept)
I have never looked for Uber's with car seats so I'm not certain. You can test this for yourself one night if you wanted. Manually move your location to Disney about the time fireworks are over and see how many vehicles you see when you select the Family car seat option. If you see several then you'll probably be fine. If you don't, then have a plan B.

As to Minnie Vans, it's my understanding they are ordering more, and hiring more drivers. Training for it all does take time. They wanted to make sure the service was going to take hold first. I believe it has. When it first started they were even operating out of temporary trailers. The drivers told me they were working to build them a permanent location. Part of the process will include getting them permanent drop off and pick up spots in the bus depots. And they've recently re-categorized the drivers positions, which seems to be another sign that they are working to make the position permanent. Their new job category is one that can be tipped. Before they were like the VIP tour guides (plaids)

I appreciate you bringing this topic up! I have no children, but am on the same vein, as you! The ride from MK to AKL is quite a slog late at night!

Anyone able to advise luck with getting Uber/Lyft (I prefer Lyft) back after fireworks, for just a general car?

My sister and I do take our time leaving parks so I imagine that might help a bit!

I appreciate you bringing this topic up! I have no children, but am on the same vein, as you! The ride from MK to AKL is quite a slog late at night!

Anyone able to advise luck with getting Uber/Lyft (I prefer Lyft) back after fireworks, for just a general car?

My sister and I do take our time leaving parks so I imagine that might help a bit!
You have to walk to CR to get one. Other than that, nope. Walk over there, open the app and request the ride. Expect to pay more or be willing to wait around for prices to drop.

I took Lyft right after the fireworks at MVMCP in December. I boarded the ferry back to the TTC and pulled up the app while waiting for the rest of the ferry passengers to board and was able to get a Lyft with less than 10 minute wait. My Lyft was waiting. Easy peasy.

Yes, there are a lot of Uber/Lyft's around as parks close. It will almost certainly be Surge pricing (forget the name Lyft uses but same concept)
I have never looked for Uber's with car seats so I'm not certain. You can test this for yourself one night if you wanted. Manually move your location to Disney about the time fireworks are over and see how many vehicles you see when you select the Family car seat option. If you see several then you'll probably be fine. If you don't, then have a plan B.
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't realized you could change your location to see what's available somewhere else. A bit tricky to find, but very useful. Currently I see Contemporary to Aoa, 22.64 for UberX+Car seat, 27.54 for UberXL+Car seat. Seems kind of surprisingly high for mid morning? Any idea how much post-fireworks surge would raise it? I need graphs and charts! :-)
I think what @joelkfla was saying is that I can use one of each of those (X and XL), since they each have a car seat and the X is cheaper. And I could use just 2 UberX+Car seat if my stroller is small enough. It's a double but it does fold up pretty small. I could see it fitting if the truck isn't too small. I'll have to try. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't realized you could change your location to see what's available somewhere else. A bit tricky to find, but very useful. Currently I see Contemporary to Aoa, 22.64 for UberX+Car seat, 27.54 for UberXL+Car seat. Seems kind of surprisingly high for mid morning? Any idea how much post-fireworks surge would raise it? I need graphs and charts! :-)
I think what @joelkfla was saying is that I can use one of each of those (X and XL), since they each have a car seat and the X is cheaper. And I could use just 2 UberX+Car seat if my stroller is small enough. It's a double but it does fold up pretty small. I could see it fitting if the truck isn't too small. I'll have to try. Thanks!
Good point. That may work. I'd probably err on the side of caution and go with 1 of each. Some of the X vehicles are really small and after you've been paired with a vehicle is sort of too late to figure it out. So I'd go with one XL just to be safe and know you'll have 1 that will fit the stroller. But I hate risking a ride that won't fit, or is tight. That's why when I have 4 of us we always go with XL. Always.

As to the fare, you can find the break down of where the cost is coming from. If you click the Vehicle type balloon and then click the tiny little i in a circle it will give you a breakdown of all the fees in effect at this time. I noticed on my trip in March that the fares in Orlando have increased quite a bit. Still less than taxis but more than past trips.

ETA - And the fares you see are why I've argued the Minnie Van fares are NOT that far out of line, not when you consider they have 2 car seats. People complain about them but honestly, they aren't all that bad. I don't think those complaining have checked prices for Uber + car seats.

Good point. That may work. I'd probably err on the side of caution and go with 1 of each. Some of the X vehicles are really small and after you've been paired with a vehicle is sort of too late to figure it out. So I'd go with one XL just to be safe and know you'll have 1 that will fit the stroller. But I hate risking a ride that won't fit, or is tight. That's why when I have 4 of us we always go with XL. Always.

As to the fare, you can find the break down of where the cost is coming from. If you click the Vehicle type balloon and then click the tiny little i in a circle it will give you a breakdown of all the fees in effect at this time. I noticed on my trip in March that the fares in Orlando have increased quite a bit. Still less than taxis but more than past trips.

ETA - And the fares you see are why I've argued the Minnie Van fares are NOT that far out of line, not when you consider they have 2 car seats. People complain about them but honestly, they aren't all that bad. I don't think those complaining have checked prices for Uber + car seats.
I agree, clearly the price isn't bad if you've got two car seat kids and it works for you. I imagine when you add in any surge, it's well cheaper for the Minnie vans.
Wow, that tiny "i" is HARD to hit. I tried it before you mentioned it and nothing happened. I tried again after your post, and I have to tap it about 5 times to get it! Anyway, that's very useful, too, thanks! If we do this, I'll probably play it safe as you've suggested!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter