Minnie Mouse now captain of all DCL ships

You just seem set on sharing your opinion...a lot, but this isn’t just about outfits and pictures. They have built an entire STEM program for the clubs around Captain Minnie and she will be holding activities in the Club so her exposure went from someone who occasionally wanders around posing for pictures and stands next to Mickey to having an identity and program built around her. Kids will walk away saying I had fun learning about x with Minnie and that will have an affect. In addition, even if it is a PR move, I think we can all applaud gender equality no and like presenting more opportunities for girls (and Disney has tied this launch with outreach to women in navigational roles).

It seems weird that people are boiling this down to outfits and getting second hand psyche consultations.
And you seem to be set on being rude, disrespectful, and misrepresenting what I actually wrote.

She's so cool, I can barely handle it. :blush:

Totally! I was so sad that she will not be on the Equinox in Feb - the Edge is her new home. I asked my TA about changing to the Edge, but Celebrity is not as move-a-Cruise friendly as Disney is. They require a cancellation and rebooking. So I am eyeing the Edge for Feb break 2021.

Ironic - now you’re the one being selective in your context.

What I said was some people are suggesting she must wear the skirt or else she doesn’t work as a character.

Which is what I said you said? :confused3
And isn’t that exactly what you are suggesting may happen? That kids will be turned off by a pants-wearing Minnie, they won’t “connect” with her and won’t want their picture taken with her?

I guess truth will out eventually. If she’s still wearing pants in six months, we’ll have our answer.
See? First you said I suggested it "may happen" which is correct. Any time they make changes this could happen. My comments concerning this were general, not about captain minnie specifically.

Then you twisted what I said by implying I said "kids will be turned off." I made no predictions other than saying Disney is the master of marketing, so in this they get the benefit of the doubt.

Ironic - now you’re the one being selective in your context.

What I said was some people are suggesting she must wear the skirt or else she doesn’t work as a character.

And isn’t that exactly what you are suggesting may happen? That kids will be turned off by a pants-wearing Minnie, they won’t “connect” with her and won’t want their picture taken with her?

I guess truth will out eventually. If she’s still wearing pants in six months, we’ll have our answer.

I’ll let your words speak for themselves. Thanks for the debate.

If the outfit doesn't fit her character, the kids won't feel connected to it (which they would express as like or don't like the).

If the kids don't connect to it, well...

Let's just say if Captain Minnie doesn't perform well at her job, she won't be sticking around. And her job is to sell photos.

It is not “choosing to be feminine” that is bad/problematic.

It is the assertion that “being feminine” means only wearing a skirt - that you cannot be feminine and wear pants that is the problematic thing.

See the pics above - Captain Kate often wears pants and is still super feminine.
Must have missed it, I thought comment was that outfit as a whole wasn't cute and feminine. Not pants specifically.

I’ll let your words speak for themselves. Thanks for the debate.
Exactly. My assertions were all in general.

All comments about minnie were conditional, to emphasize possible outcomes. But I made no assertions regarding the future of captain minnie or predictions as to her popularity.

I did make an assertion as to her value to society as a whole.

Must have missed it, I thought comment was that outfit as a whole wasn't cute and feminine. Not pants specifically.

No, it has been all about the pants. The jacket is cute and flared like a woman’s cut would be, so only issue there is the pants.

You know, ever since you women got the right to vote, you've been getting mighty uppity! :laughing:

(That's a joke, people.....)

Great job taking what I said out of context in your attempt to be snarky, and rude.

I explicitly said I agreed, in principle, with the ideas of representation, etc. But, that in the context of DCL, the effects would be minimal, at best, and I felt it was more a PR move for adults to applaud.

Young kids just aren't going to take much (if any) meaning from the change in outfit of a giant mouse.

I'm sorry, I wasn't attempting to be snarky or rude.

However I don't put much stock in secondhand internet experts.... or even firsthand ones honestly unless it is someone I know and whose opinion I value. Even among psychologists I think there would be a difference of opinion and your friend's opinion is still just that.

You think it doesn't matter and is a PR stunt for adults. In my personal experience both as a child and as a parent, it's a bigger deal than that. Both are just opinions though, unless we're going to do a controlled scientific study, my opinion is just as good as yours and just as worthy of being expressed on a discussion board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter