Minimum Reload Amount for Sunpass and/or E-Pass?

Cosmic

Mouseketeer
I have some drives planned out that I know will need tolls, so I'm thinking about getting an E-Pass or Sunpass sticker for my car. However, I'd kind of like the ability to "pay as I go". If traffic is bad on I-4 on the way in, we might decide to take 417 for a less stressful experience. However, then that wouldn't leave enough money for the other tolls we'd need to pay on other days (we'd start out with the minimum $10 on the inital load). Could I just add a few dollars, or would I be stuck adding $10 or $20 minimum?

I think the minimum is either 10 or 15. I did automatic upload onto my cc so if I run low there's no issue at the toll. That happened to me a week or so ago. I think it was 15, now that I think of it. It's one of those little stickers I got at a Publix, rather than the plastic boxy type.

I have some drives planned out that I know will need tolls, so I'm thinking about getting an E-Pass or Sunpass sticker for my car. However, I'd kind of like the ability to "pay as I go". If traffic is bad on I-4 on the way in, we might decide to take 417 for a less stressful experience. However, then that wouldn't leave enough money for the other tolls we'd need to pay on other days (we'd start out with the minimum $10 on the inital load). Could I just add a few dollars, or would I be stuck adding $10 or $20 minimum?
Minimum topup is $10 with Sunpass.
Sorry, I don't have any experience with e-pass.

EDIT: You could bump up your initial load to $15 (instead of $10) to give you a small buffer.

Last edited:
A couple of points:
1) You will save money paying your tolls electronically, there is a discount. It varies by road, but on the Greeneway 417 route from Sanford to Disney, the discount is $.99 one-way, so if you do it round-trip, you essentially save $2.00 (The current toll for that distance is $8.00 cash, or $7.01 with a toll pass.)

2) With what you are spending on gas, floating $10 on your Sunpass account is really not worth stressing about. It won't expire, it will sit in the account until you use it. Besides that, you'll save gas not sitting in traffic.

3) If you REALLY don't want to auto-top your Sunpass account with a credit card, it is possible to pay it at Walgreen's stores with cash, and there is no minimum on cash payments, so if you just wanted to add $3, you could, though it would take you some time unless you were planning to stop at a Walgreen's already.

Here is how I look at the issue of toll roads while I'm on a vacation trip: for any moment of the 40 hours per week when I would normally be working and earning, I'm not earning while I'm on vacation, so I balance what convenience factors cost me against my earning rate, and if the time savings costs me less than I would earn in the same amount of time, then I just pay for it. A nasty pileup delay on I-4 taught me that lesson, when we sat in traffic for several hours on one trip. In the equivalent of paid vacation time that DH and I lost to that one delay, I can pay my average Orlando-area road tolls for what I estimate is probably 4 years' worth of trips, including the $20 cost of the portable transponder we have. Using the transponder lowers the toll cost, and I don't have to keep track of change for the unmanned toll gates, either, so I consider it a small price to pay. There is currently a balance of $10.61 sitting in my SunPass account, bless its tiny little heart.

PS: If you will be using a rental car at any point, it is better to invest in a portable unit instead of the fixed sticker.

Last edited:

Why not take CASH & Pay Cash at toll booth

All you will loose is a min. or 2 of journey time .

A couple of points:
1) You will save money paying your tolls electronically, there is a discount. It varies by road, but on the Greeneway 417 route from Sanford to Disney, the discount is $.99 one-way, so if you do it round-trip, you essentially save $2.00 (The current toll for that distance is $8.00 cash, or $7.01 with a toll pass.)

2) With what you are spending on gas, floating $10 on your Sunpass account is really not worth stressing about. It won't expire, it will sit in the account until you use it. Besides that, you'll save gas not sitting in traffic.

3) If you REALLY don't want to auto-top your Sunpass account with a credit card, it is possible to pay it at Walgreen's stores with cash, and there is no minimum on cash payments, so if you just wanted to add $3, you could, though it would take you some time unless you were planning to stop at a Walgreen's already.

Here is how I look at the issue of toll roads while I'm on a vacation trip: for any moment of the 40 hours per week when I would normally be working and earning, I'm not earning while I'm on vacation, so I balance what convenience factors cost me against my earning rate, and if the time savings costs me less than I would earn in the same amount of time, then I just pay for it. A nasty pileup delay on I-4 taught me that lesson, when we sat in traffic for several hours on one trip. In the equivalent of paid vacation time that DH and I lost to that one delay, I can pay my average Orlando-area road tolls for what I estimate is probably 4 years' worth of trips, including the $20 cost of the portable transponder we have. Using the transponder lowers the toll cost, and I don't have to keep track of change for the unmanned toll gates, either, so I consider it a small price to pay. There is currently a balance of $10.61 sitting in my SunPass account, bless its tiny little heart.

PS: If you will be using a rental car at any point, it is better to invest in a portable unit instead of the fixed sticker.
Exactly my thought!!! I have $30 sitting in my account! I have the portable transponder. I seldom rented cars when in Florida. But, with ddd living and working there now, I find myself needing that car. So, figured having the transponder was a good idea...better than paying the rental company $4 per day of toll usage, in addition to toll costs! The $20 I paid for the transponder is paid for after 5 rentals! And I do't have to worry about using toll roads anymore.
Of course, my dh now thinks I'm packing up and moving to Florida, under cover of night, since I have a transponder!!!! Hmmmm.

Exactly my thought!!! I have $30 sitting in my account! I have the portable transponder. I seldom rented cars when in Florida. But, with ddd living and working there now, I find myself needing that car. So, figured having the transponder was a good idea...better than paying the rental company $4 per day of toll usage, in addition to toll costs! The $20 I paid for the transponder is paid for after 5 rentals! And I do't have to worry about using toll roads anymore.
Of course, my dh now thinks I'm packing up and moving to Florida, under cover of night, since I have a transponder!!!! Hmmmm.
This made me LOL! Have a kid on the DCP there now- got the sun pass transponder and loaded up with $20 to start- was sooooo nice going around traffic when we were moving her in and not worry about tolls! She's also gone to meet friends who go to college in northwestern part of state (ypthey met somewhere in middle) and I noticed my CC bill had sunpass charge, so she's using it well :)

Sorry to hijack, but on a related note, do you *have* to load money on the SunPass or can you just link it to a credit card? I am in NY and have an EZ Pass and it's just linked to my credit card. Whenever I go through a toll, it just charges my CC. I don't have to worry about running low or putting too much money on it. I'm asking because we'll be driving a lot in Florida this winter and thought a SunPass would be beneficial for that. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack, but on a related note, do you *have* to load money on the SunPass or can you just link it to a credit card? I am in NY and have an EZ Pass and it's just linked to my credit card. Whenever I go through a toll, it just charges my CC. I don't have to worry about running low or putting too much money on it. I'm asking because we'll be driving a lot in Florida this winter and thought a SunPass would be beneficial for that. Thanks!
Can you really get an EZPASS like that? I would assume they don't want to pay transaction fees on my $.15 toll twice a day, and that's why we have the "reload" model.

Can you really get an EZPASS like that? I would assume they don't want to pay transaction fees on my $.15 toll twice a day, and that's why we have the "reload" model.

That's how my EZPass is set up, but perhaps I'm grandfathered in or maybe it's regional. I set it up about 12 years ago. Or perhaps they authorize/hold a certain amount each time I pass through one? My tolls are $2-$4 each time, but I don't use it daily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter