Mini Review for Spring Break March 12-18, 2023

bearette

DIS Veteran
Stay: Cabana Bay, we books about a month before and paid around $250 a night for a basic room. At check in we received a family room at Starlight facing the parking lot at almost the very end bottom floor. We didn't use it much but showering and sleeping, or napping. We liked having coffee in the room and the mini fridge, for coffee creamer and a few leftovers. Though the plates they leave don't work in the microwave. We booked through a third party and saved $200 off their online price,but it was nonrefundable. We could have booked a date of $150 with an AP discount for all but our last day at Dockside, but we wanted to be closer. The premium resorts.we're $1000-$800 a night and the other disgrace hotels were sold out already. About two weeks before we left Cabana Bay was also sold out.

Access to theme parks: We were as far from Volcano bay as you could get and a decent trek to the lobby and buses, but we were close to the walkway to the park and we would stop at Sapphire to take the boat. This walk was pretty and about the same walk for us to the bus, but it depends on if you make the boat if you are faster. The buses come more often and they have those huge ones that really cram people on, so in the busy morning it was only a 5 minute wait for the bus. 15 minutes for the boat if you miss it.

Park lines: We took advantage of early entry and did Hagrads, get there before 8am as by 8:08am we were in line with a 90minute wait. We did the poor man's express, single rider, but they often closed these due to full lines. For those signals riders, we usually waited 20 minutes but occasionally they were walk on or took an hour when the rides had operational issues. We got lucky a lot and our party of four ended up having two or three of us in the same car or next to each other. My daughter is more of a chicken so we would save her for last unless they asked for two to keep her more with us. A few times large parties saw her (she's ten but short) and moved so she could sit with one of us which was nice, but not expected. This only works if you have a child who is comfortable riding alone because they had to often. You will be split up so don't let our luck make you think otherwise. They rode a lot alone.

Waits were obscene, 4 hours for Velosocoaster and 3 hours for Hargrids. Only in the first two hours were the main rides under 2 hours and at the end of the night. We noticed the end of the night line waits were inflated, we did Hagrad's in an hour though it was posted at 2 hours. We wished we would have done the premiere hotel as express cost $200 a day when I looked. It would have been worth it, but at an extra $2000 we decided not to. If you go during spring break ( you can see which week by the blackout calendar) on APs) get the express passes.

Mardi gras: Once we did the parade and happened by it again. It's fun to get some beads, but the ride lines were short, especially the Mummy so this was a good time to ride rides. The floats were nothing special after you saw them once. We got one of the drink cups and my husband and I shared it to get some of the beverages being offered. My husband had an AP from a business trip in the summer ( we upgraded his ticket when we decided to try to do a family trip) so we utilized the food cards which ended up being the best deal. $150 for $120, though when we bought two a few times it ended up only being $180 charge instead of $240, though we did end up with $300 in cards. I'm unsure this is a glitch that is probably fixed by now. Worth an AP for this benefit alone.

Food: Since we had these Mardi Grai cards I booked restaurant reservations before we left. A few times we changed them in the morning and were able to get a time, though a lot of times were sold out. They are flexible so I would make reservations, just make sure you cancel if you aren't going. Reasonable food prices for a theme park, $18 for sandwiches and $20 for more mains and $30 for steaks and main entrees. Kids meals were all under $10. I heard people getting quoted 40 minutes to an hour for a walk up, just theme park closing times (8:30 or later) they turned people away.

Volcano Bay: We went on our first day and it rained and the sun came out off and on. Best day to visit as we walked on everything and only waited 30 minutes for the cosster. We went back Friday on a nice weather day and they closed the park for entrance (when we arrived at 11:30 only hotel guests and dated Volcano bay ticket holders were allowed in, but by 12:30 it was fully closed). My kids did one slide that took 30 minutes and then we just did the wave pool, played in the sand, and fast river. They slowed down the fast river so we took that as a sign to get out of dogde. We hit the pool and food at Cabana Bay as the waits were an hour in Volcano bay, not worth using the cards for... We took towels from the pool to Volcano bay and saved us having to buy or rent towels. The day we went in the afternoon we started at the park and did all the water rides , take a towel there too. We were drenched and cold. We warmed up with a coffee and hot chocolate for the bus ride back to Volcano Bay.

More to come...

We booked through a third party and saved $200 off their online price,but it was nonrefundable. We could have booked a date of $150 with an AP discount for all but our last day at Dockside, but we wanted to be closer.
Nice! Surprised you received an room upgrade both due to spring break crowds & fact you booked thru a 3rd party.

Favorite rides: kids are obsessed with Jurassic Park so they both said Velocoaster. Mine was the Mummy, but their dad never picked one but the new Harry Potter rides (Hagrads and Gringots), got high marks from everyone. Scariest was when Cat in

Restaurants: Toothsome had some unique food offerings and gets a bonus for the theme. The Cowburger for my none- fish- eating self and daughter was unique and different, though I wouldn't eat there all the time, a bit pricey, too. We got a great weird look picture from my daughter when they brought out her food in a bento box, but we (and she) ended up liking it. Our all around favorite was ironically the fish restaurant Lombards in Universal, we booked the morning of for lunch. We could see out over the water, but we were sat by the aquarium. We all loved their food, it didn't smell, like most fish restaurants, great service, and had a great espresso martini. I would go back here.

Best desert: soft serve butter beer ice cream.
Best drink: a dreamsicle flavored drink I had at Cabana Bay

City walk entertainment: We used our last day to do minigolf and played both courses. The haunted was the better of the two. We did them back to back but you could pay for both and then come back another time. I would recommend this as it was hot and humid.
We did the Jurassic Escape. We sucked badly! We do escape rooms a lot so it isn't exactly that, so a bit frustrating for us. We had one other person join us so we were a small group, but we were so pitiful, I will not share our score! We did have fun, but we didn't do the other because we felt it was overpriced and the kids pay the same rate. We booked with an AP discount on a night weekend so it was $55 each ( most expensive day too) and no special to book both rooms so we decided to keep our money.

Last edited:
Overall: Even with it being busy we really enjoyed it though I would avoid spring break in the future. Depending on budget and room cost, I liked Cabana Bay as it was the most kid friendly for the price and the convenience to Volcano Bay and the parks. If we went at a busy time then those free fast passes would entice us, but not at $800 a night...We loved our vacation and enjoyed it so much we were talking to my sister about doing another trip with them. While we like Disney Universal right now has a great family product and I would highly recommend it.

I was surprised too, but they had a lot of sports teams, so I noticed the individual family rooms all seemed to surround us. We assumed those large groups took all the standard rooms. My husband is lucky and gets stuff like that when no one else would! I usually dislike the first floor, but because we had to do so much walking it made it faster and easier get to our room which was appreciated at 11:30 pm when we would roll back in.

Glad you had a good time, despite the crowds. We went over Christmas and I will never do that again. We did not have an express pass, which obviously would have helped a lot, but I'd rather just go during non peak times since I do not like huge crowds.

With a crowded week like that, how were the waits for the shows? Do you have to get to the show to get in line a while before it starts (thinking about horror make-up, bourne, animal actors)?

This is good information. We have never been to Universal and I booked at dockside for memorial week (Sun-Thurs), which I am sure is going to be crazy. We would have had to pay over $850 a night at a premium ( which isn't even an option now, as they sold out) and are only paying $135 for a family room. I couldn't pay the extra money. But I know its going to be CRAZY packed. I am nervous about how bad the lines are. Besides the headline rides ( as I have 2 that don't like roller coasters) how were the other lines? Are we going to be waiting 1-2 hours for everything? I am glad you were able to enjoy your trip!

From watching the Youtubers vlogs from this time period it seemed like spring break was busier the Christmas this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter