Millenium Falcon (edited) -Hear Instructions?

slyster

DIS Veteran
So from what I gather about Rise of the Resistance, there are engineer and gunner positions. Are there instructions within you have to listen to follow along? I'm asking because my wife is deaf. Thank you!

So from what I gather about Rise of the Resistance, there are engineer and gunner positions. Are there instructions within you have to listen to follow along? I'm asking because my wife is deaf. Thank you!
It’s Millenium Falcon and it has written directions.

XD I believe you are thinking of Millenuim Falcon: Smuggler's run where you can be either a Pilot, Gunner, or Engineer. (Edit: hiroMYhiro beat me to it! <3)
I tried searching for information and did find this bit under the 'guests with disabilities' part of the site: "Disney Parks offer a variety of services to Guests with disabilities, such as Disney’s Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description." So hopefully you can get something that captions the instructions for the ride for her. I've never used anything like that personally but I would contact guest services as it could help you out in other parts of the park maybe as well. I hope you have a great trip!

Oh! Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. Sorry about that! I was looking in the ROTR boarding group info when I skimmed that information. I wasn't sure if during the attraction, they yell out instructions for you to follow. We will have a sign language interpreter for shows and events, and safari rides. Good advice about the captioning. We can ask as we get closer how that works.

Do they holler out instructions during or is it just instructions before you get on the ride?

Oh! Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. Sorry about that! I was looking in the ROTR boarding group info when I skimmed that information. I wasn't sure if during the attraction, they yell out instructions for you to follow. We will have a sign language interpreter for shows and events, and safari rides. Good advice about the captioning. We can ask as we get closer how that works.

Do they holler out instructions during or is it just instructions before you get on the ride?
You get the instructions in the cards they hand you with each job, the CM will also do a very quick review of instructions for each position right before boarding

This is an interesting question. Yes, they DO yell out random instructions, but they are also accompanied by the flashing buttons. For example, Hondo may yell out "left pilot, hit the brakes" but simultaneously a button will light up and flash where the left pilot is. Basically, the ride boils down to "hit whatever button is surrounded by a green light or any button or switch that flashes, at the time it is actively flashing." The pilots just have the additional job to try to not crash AND follow the train. I suspect the flashing lights are the substitute for the spoken instructions since people may not understand English well in addition to hearing issues that guests may have. Right before you board, the CM will tell you "hit the flashing buttons." As long as you relay that to your wife, she will be fine.

The pilot seems to be the only one where you may need some finesse to try to avoid hitting things. The others are really just a fancier version of Mission Space (mash the button that is lit up) except that if you do it wrong or don't hit it, the computer doesn't do it for you. The trade off with the engineer/gunner is that it's hard to look at the screen & the buttons simultaneously. But basically if it lights up, hit it, and you will be ok.

The instructions and comments Hondo gives during the ride do help in understanding what is going on, though as far as participation, knowing to hit anything that is lit up is enough guidance to do your part. As long as the nature of the mission as explained in the preshows is able to be communicated to her, she should know enough to enjoy it. Afterwards someone can explain what was said during the ride (it doesn’t vary much) and then subsequent rides will make more sense.

Hi! Do you know if the Millenium Falcon ride is open during Extra Magic Hours? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter