Milk

poppee1

Earning My Ears
We have a 1 year old who will still be on milk when we go in August. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep the milk cold when we are in the parks.
:wave:

Milk is readily available in the counter service restaurants all over WDW, so you don't need to carry it with you.
If you want to bring it with you, you could bring it in a thermos bottle and just pour out what you need each time he wants to drink. If you prechill the themos with cold water and ice before you pour in the milk, it will stay cold longer.

We plan to carry a small cooler bag (attached to the stroller) with a frozen ice pack and his bottles, if we need to take milk. Our little guy is older so he can usually hold out until we get back to the room. We'll be giving him lots of water during our time in the parks.

Milk is pretty pricey at WDW, especially at resorts. It comes free with kids meals in the sit-down restaurants, but
otherwise, you can end up paying quite a bit for it. We always get a gallon on the way in and put it in our room in a cheap styrofoam cooler with ice. We only buy it in the parks when we have to, so that one-pint thermos usually goes along for the ride. I've discovered little freezable "ice pillows", they are little plastic freezer pouches about the size of ravioli; I put those in the milk inside the thermos to make sure it stays cool; though I do pre-condition the thermos with cold water and ice.

My 4yo will only drink milk and water; and he by far prefers milk. No juice, no kool-aid, no lemonade, no soft drinks.
We've gotten really good at the logistics of safe milk transport (sigh).

We went this April with our dd 7 years old and ds 15 months old.

I was concerned about the milk issue too.

I was still breastfeeding him once or twice a day too.

Although he didn't drink as much milk on the trip as he would have at home, it worked well. This was his milk schedule in WDW.

(We rented a fridge at CBR and bought milk at the CBR store and Publix)

Filled 9 oz. sipping cup in the morning.
He drank about 4 -5 oz. before we left CBR in the AM.
Re-filled the cup in the room.

At the parks he would drink all 9 oz. by about lunchtime.
I washed and filled the cup with water since it was getting hottest outside. (August is very hot, prehaps you might want to bring juice and water).
He would drink half the water and nap in his stroller.

In the afternoon we would return to CBR for a swim and rest and re-fill the cup with milk.

He would drink half until dinner and we'd re-fill with milk before going back to the parks in the evening. If he finished the milk, we'd fill it with water at the parks again.

You might also try Parmalat milk. It comes in both larger boxes(I think about 32oz) and juice box size. It is shelf stable so it doesn't need to be refrigerated until after it is opened. This is "real" milk but the reason it is shelf stable is the pasteurization process.(Extremly high temp I believe)

This is fairly readily available in grocery stores, but you might have to ask. It is on the shelf and usually by the juice. My kids don't notice a difference in taste. I do chill it at home but in the parks you could use one of those ice packs and it shouldn't take long to chill.

Parmalat was great on my last trip. Took two 8 oz packages along before leaving the room. Worked really well for us. Also had a gallon of milk (much cheaper) in the room refrigerator for morning & night bottles.
:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter