Military Tickets at the Shades of Green

Amstar

Mouseketeer
I think we can do this:
we live in Ohio (2 adults 4 kids)
Uncle Lives in Orlando - retired military AP pass-holder

He can go to shades of green and buy 6 park hopper tickets (the military special through 19 of Dec this year) for us --

when he purchases them each one in our group will technically have the tickets loaded to a single card

We then can link those tickets to our magic bands up here in ohio and we are good to go -- correct? - since he was already "present" when the tickets were purchased at shades of green?

Maybe, maybe not. He may have to be there at the time of the first use.

I am just going to drop a cut and paste here:

No more than six (6) Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased and (if applicable) activated by any Eligible Service Member or spouse (regardless of the place of purchase and whether purchased by that person or that person's spouse). In addition, one of the six (6) Tickets purchased must be used by the Eligible Service Member or his/her spouse.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-multi-day-tickets/

Okay, I'll edit to add, I am 99% sure the service member or spouse needs to be present at the gate upon first use. I have only used them once, many years ago, as we typically just buy the one day tickets now (purchase at MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL near our home) as we never go to Disney more than one or two days a year. I bought ours when my DH sister came to visit. Bought them at the ITT office at Moody AFB in Valdosta, GA and had to activate them at the gate. This was when I was active duty (I am retired now).

Another cut and paste:

Tickets that are purchased at Non-Disney locations (except Shades of Green) will need to be activated at a Disney Park prior to their use for entry.

If you plan to purchase your tickets at a Disney location all members of the party must be present, as the tickets will be activated at that time and all must be present for this process.

Farther down cut and paste:

This requires the military member or spouse to physically go to the theme park with their party for the activation process.

Note Disney Pass Holders do not need to have a Salute ticket for themselves, but one of the 6 tickets is “reserved” for the member and cannot be used by others.

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/b...rmed-forces-salute-military-discount-tickets/

So, it seems you won't need him present at the gate if he buys them at SoG, but still, he has to be one of the people using the tickets. If he is not, he is going against the integrity of the salute tickets. So, you would only be eligible for him to buy FIVE tickets for your family. He can buy one of the children's passes using a FL Resident discount under his FL resident ID.

I think we can do this:
we live in Ohio (2 adults 4 kids)
Uncle Lives in Orlando - retired military AP pass-holder

He can go to shades of green and buy 6 park hopper tickets (the military special through 19 of Dec this year) for us --

when he purchases them each one in our group will technically have the tickets loaded to a single card

We then can link those tickets to our magic bands up here in ohio and we are good to go -- correct? - since he was already "present" when the tickets were purchased at shades of green?
If he qualifies for the Armed Forces Salute tickets he can purchase up to 6 but 1 of those is his to use. They do check ID at SOG and note the number of tickets he purchased and his info. They may ask him the names and other info for the other 5 people using them. Those tickets are suppose to be for the military member and his dependents.

From Steve's site
Disney Armed Forces Salute FAQ

Not eligible are: Unaccompanied non-spouse dependents (children), prior service members who did not retire, foreign military members with out US issued CAC, DoD civilians, and other service connected disabled who are not 100% DAVPRM.

Last edited:
I used the military salute tickets for Disneyland in June and was asked not just the first day-but also every other day at the gate for my ID. Not sure how Disney World handles this as we just used the regular military discounted tickets (not the military salute) on our last trip to the World but I am sure it is a similar procedure.

If he goes to the park with you everyday I think that is fine. We have done with with my parents but we were with them the entire time.

I echo the sentiments of another poster and agree, if he isn’t going everyday, you should not be using them. As a non-retired veteran I can’t even qualify for these tickets without my ID stating that my husband is a retiree.

Hmm, I don't know. We haven't gone for a while but hopefully someone that's gone recently can answer you better. However, my experience is last year we had to show military ID at the guest services. My DH presented his ID, only on the first day though. My DH is active duty and I have military IDs also (spouse and retired Reserves). We had bought our tickets at ITR on our installation, and then linked them to my Disney account online and the bands all before going. I feel like I forget quickly how we had done things so I can't remember all the details and whys, wish I could, but distinctly remember going to the guest services first day because I was told to "activate" the passes we had bought even by the Disney member on the phone I chatted with when trying to link up our magic bands on My Disney Experience.

Hmm, I don't know. We haven't gone for a while but hopefully someone that's gone recently can answer you better. However, my experience is last year we had to show military ID at the guest services. My DH presented his ID, only on the first day though. My DH is active duty and I have military IDs also (spouse and retired Reserves). We had bought our tickets at ITR on our installation, and then linked them to my Disney account online and the bands all before going. I feel like I forget quickly how we had done things so I can't remember all the details and whys, wish I could, but distinctly remember going to the guest services first day because I was told to "activate" the passes we had bought even by the Disney member on the phone I chatted with when trying to link up our magic bands on My Disney Experience.
With SOG ticket office it is a bit different. You get tickets not vouchers like we do at ITT offices on base. You still have to show your ID and with 6 tickets the military member has to use 1. So only 5 tickets to use for dependents.

When I was at leisure travel picking up universal Orlando tickets, I was behind a family purchasing salute tickets - he lady reminded them they would now be required to show I’d daily due to misuse of tickets - soldiers in FL purchasing and activating tickets for others for $$$ apparently

When I was at leisure travel picking up universal Orlando tickets, I was behind a family purchasing salute tickets - he lady reminded them they would now be required to show I’d daily due to misuse of tickets - soldiers in FL purchasing and activating tickets for others for $$$ apparently
I hope asking for ID daily is the case now. Disney has been giving us these discounts for years and I hope they continue. If people are gaming this generous discount they may do away it. We normally hear about next years military discounts by now. I hope they will renew.

Last edited:
We have used the Salute tickets for several years. If you buy from SOG, they are already activated and you can go directly to the gate. The requirement that one of the purchased tickets must be either the service member or spouse is waived if they are already a passholder. For example, I was an AP holder last year but was able to buy two Salute tickets for my teen son and SIL who was traveling with us.

Can’t wait to hear info on the 2019 tickets as I’ve got a January race weekend trip planned.

If they are requesting to see ID daily, what about others in the group that might not be with the member at that time?
I’m thinking different turnstiles or being a few minutes apart from the military member. (Activating member is definitely at Disney with others in group).

If they are requesting to see ID daily, what about others in the group that might not be with the member at that time?
I’m thinking different turnstiles or being a few minutes apart from the military member. (Activating member is definitely at Disney with others in group).
I think if they go to checking ID every time that the military member would have to be there with the group .
I think the original intention of the Armed Forces Salute tickets is just for the military member and dependents....spouse and children. At one time the military member must give info on the rest of the party when purchasing those tickets if they are not present at the time. We have purchased those tickets at SOG and the vouchers at the base. They take all the info from your CAC and record it so they will know how many purchased and the ticket info. When we ( DH, me) have gone to GS with our vouchers they asked for both our ID cards and recorded the info.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter