Military Community Thread

I am so sorry that yout DBF's deployment got extended! :( I am happy that you go to talk to him for an hour today though!

Thanks....this is the first time I've gotten a phone call from him in 3 months, besides the missed phone calls that I usually get...

Another Army wife - signing on!!!!!:)

My DH of 11 years has been in the Army for 22 years, and is a CSM for an AVN BN. We are currently stationed at Ft Hood, Tx.
I have been through many deployments as most of you have and my heart goes out to all of you that have loved ones deployed. I will be in your shoes next June for the 3rd time.

Not in a good mood today and i know you will all understand. DH left today for his time away. I still get to talk to him by phone for the next day but that doesnt make it any easier, its actually making it harder :(. just not a good day today.

Not in a good mood today and i know you will all understand. DH left today for his time away. I still get to talk to him by phone for the next day but that doesnt make it any easier, its actually making it harder :(. just not a good day today.

*hug*

:grouphug: Definitely understand, have had those days myself.

Thank you for the welcome everyone.:wave2:

:grouphug:

Hi--I wanted to introduce myself. I am Nikki and married to SGT Mark Williams of the 290th MP co. We are natinal Guard and he just got his 3rd delpoyment orders. He was stationed at the Pentagon for a year after 9/11, in Afghanistan for 11 months and he now is gearing up for another tour. He starts state training the day we come home from Disney and leaves to go over at the end of the year. I am mom to Roseanna (almost 5) and Russell (! year). Please offer any advice on how to tell and cope for DD about this delpoyment. the last one she was a baby so I did not have to tell her anything because a 6 month old would not understand. I am so lost right now.

Welcome Nikki! Sorry to hear about your hubby's deployment. Mine just got home a couple of weeks ago.

Someone has started a thread on the community board where they gave their husband/daddy a Mickey to take with him and he sends pictures of him and Mickey all over Iraq. I think that is a great idea, I wish we had thought of it. Your DD can maybe help pick out something there at Disneyworld for him to take.

Another is if you have a video camera, make videos before he leaves that she can watch. One example I have seen is him reading books to her.

I know others will have a lots of ideas for you.

Melissa

Melissa thanks for the kind words and I love the idea of taking Mickey along! We will definatly be doing that. I did the story telling video last time evn though she was so yong and didn't realize who he was, she still loved the videos. I plan to update and have hime read some of the current favorites.

Melissa thanks for the kind words and I love the idea of taking Mickey along! We will definatly be doing that. I did the story telling video last time evn though she was so yong and didn't realize who he was, she still loved the videos. I plan to update and have hime read some of the current favorites.

Hi Melissa, sorry to hear about the deployment. My dh is currently in Iraq and his year tour was extended to 15 months. My 5 year old dd took that part the worse. Last summer we had told her daddy would be home the next summer so it was hard to explain to her that he wasnt coming home after all . The first time he deployed to Iraq she was a year old and she was 2 when he came home so I didnt have to explain it to her. This time she is old enough to have to talk to her about it. One thing we did was one of those build a bear things. Her and daddy did it together and he recorded a message to her and put it inside it so everytime she hugs it she can hear him. He recorded himself reading books so I can play it for her and she look at the book while daddy is reading it. We are also doing the traveling Mickey and my dd looks foward to the pics that daddy sends us. She is real involved with helping me pick out things for his carepackages and she loves to draw him pictures and make crafts for him. We take lots of pictures for him and email and print them out and send and he emails us pictures.
I have had some problems with her behavior due to missing daddy. She has times where she is angry and times when she is sad about it. Theres some days she cant even talk about daddy because its to hard for her to deal with the sadness she feels when she thinks about it. Luckily thats not everyday.
Ok I know I rambled on enough... I wish your family the best of luck and pray for your dh safe return!

Welcome to all the new folks! :)

Dh just left today for his year deployment. I'm up and about trying to keep busy. DD (14) is in bed, she's taking it really hard. My other dd (3) is being a 3 y/o. She knows that daddy is gone but as much as a 3 y/o can understand, she's bounced right back up and is playing. Which is nice b/c between the house and her, they're keeping me busy.

Sending Mickey with daddy was a great idea, I didn't give him the Mickey before he left but I will definitely be sending it with his care package.

I think I'm going to get dd (14) out of bed and have her run errands with me. I want to keep her busy today, so she doesn't slip into a depression. To keep ME from slipping into a depression, I'm going to start planning our midtour vacation to disney.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Welcome to all the new folks! :)

Dh just left today for his year deployment. I'm up and about trying to keep busy. DD (14) is in bed, she's taking it really hard. My other dd (3) is being a 3 y/o. She knows that daddy is gone but as much as a 3 y/o can understand, she's bounced right back up and is playing. Which is nice b/c between the house and her, they're keeping me busy.

Sending Mickey with daddy was a great idea, I didn't give him the Mickey before he left but I will definitely be sending it with his care package.

I think I'm going to get dd (14) out of bed and have her run errands with me. I want to keep her busy today, so she doesn't slip into a depression. To keep ME from slipping into a depression, I'm going to start planning our midtour vacation to disney.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

:hug: sorry to hear about dh leaving today. Something else u can start today is putting together his first carepackage. Get everyone involved in picking stuff out for him and making things for him. Have your youngest dd draw some pics for him to hang up. Print out pictures of you all so he can hang them up on his wall ( send scotch tape in the box). Get things to fix up his room. That should get you guys all up and moving and get you occupied during this difficult time. Then soon as u know its safe to send to his address your box is already ready to go and you and your girls have already put alot of love in putting it together for him.

:hug: sorry to hear about dh leaving today. Something else u can start today is putting together his first carepackage. Get everyone involved in picking stuff out for him and making things for him. Have your youngest dd draw some pics for him to hang up. Print out pictures of you all so he can hang them up on his wall ( send scotch tape in the box). Get things to fix up his room. That should get you guys all up and moving and get you occupied during this difficult time. Then soon as u know its safe to send to his address your box is already ready to go and you and your girls have already put alot of love in putting it together for him.

Thank you for the ideas! I will definitely do that. His bday is next month so that's going to be our first care package. I'm hoping to get it out by the first week of october, but maybe we can send a mini package end of this week. I'm going out today to do some grocery shopping and running around, so I will definitely pick up some stuff.

Welcome to all the new people!

Goofyzgurl- I'm sorry about your husband leaving. I have definitely found the first couple of days to tbe the toughest. Your family is in my thoughts.

DF left for KS 5 months ago today- I can't believe it's been that long already. Next Monday he'll be in Afghanistan for 2 months. Wow... It's been great talking about our honeymoon, I can call to book that next month. I love thinking about all the things we have to look forward too. We go back and forth with ideas of where we want to eat, tours we want to go on.. it's fun. I can't wait for him to see WDW all decorated for xmas!

Nikki- sorry to hear about your husband's deployment. A couple of the wives in our group have little ones around your son's age. One of them mentioned getting a Daddy Doll for her daughter. It's really cute, you send in a picture (a full length one- they give you all the info on the website) and they print the photo up and put it on a "doll" (basically a pillow cutout of the picture of her dad) it's adorable. They also have a voice recorder she can hear her dad's voice. It's really cute.

Michelle :-)

Welcome to all the new people!

Goofyzgurl- I'm sorry about your husband leaving. I have definitely found the first couple of days to tbe the toughest. Your family is in my thoughts.

DF left for KS 5 months ago today- I can't believe it's been that long already. Next Monday he'll be in Afghanistan for 2 months. Wow... It's been great talking about our honeymoon, I can call to book that next month. I love thinking about all the things we have to look forward too. We go back and forth with ideas of where we want to eat, tours we want to go on.. it's fun. I can't wait for him to see WDW all decorated for xmas!

Nikki- sorry to hear about your husband's deployment. A couple of the wives in our group have little ones around your son's age. One of them mentioned getting a Daddy Doll for her daughter. It's really cute, you send in a picture (a full length one- they give you all the info on the website) and they print the photo up and put it on a "doll" (basically a pillow cutout of the picture of her dad) it's adorable. They also have a voice recorder she can hear her dad's voice. It's really cute.

Michelle :-)

Thanks for your kinds words Michelle! I was interested in the daddy doll for my 3 y/o. Do you know the website?

I sure can't wait until we hit the ball and start rolling the months by. I'm ready for him to get hooked up to the computer so we can get a routine going. That will definitely help us. You guys are going to have so much fun on your honeymoon! Which resort are you staying at? I'm watching the cruise line on the travel channel now and it's making me want to book it ;) I know for sure we'll be going to disney on his midtour though, probably OKW. There's so much room to spread out there.

Shellbelle Thanks for the idea of the daddy doll---I LOVE IT!!!!

Goofyzgurl---I found the website, it is daddydolls.com They are super cute!!!!! I will be buying 2 of those.

Nikki- thanks for posting the link for that.. we had open house tonight, so I was at school all day today (I left my house at 7, and got home at 8:35) I live 40 minutes from work.. so it's not worth it to drive home and back in between.. oops- rambling.. sorry.. lol... needless to say, with all of the prepping for tonight this is the first time I've been on all day! The Daddy Dolls look adorable, I love the voice recording- and I thought it was really cute that you can buy the recorder separately and send them out to mom/dad and have them do recordings if they're already gone when you purchase it!

We're going to stay at the Yacht Club, we're going to splurge and get a water view. We both love the WL the most, but I know we're going to be at Epcot for NYE, so it makes more sense to stay there. I've stayed at the YC before and I love it there, I know DF will love it too.
It's funny because before last summer he had been to WDW once when he was 8, and that was it. He was excited about going a year ago August with me and my family, ended up totally loving it- I was floored at how easy it was to turn him into "one of us"! We were going to go on a cruise in April over my vacation, but then in January we found out he was going to Afghanistan instead of Iraq and would be leaving in April instead of June. He suggested going to FL over my February break, I was so excited! We had a great time, we stayed at the BWI (we found out at check in that we had a free upgrade to a king room with a water view.. it was awesome!) and then over to the AKL (which I've already stayed at). The trip was great. Such a good way to spend some time together before he left.
We decided WDW would be a great choice for the honeymoon since I only have a week off before having to head back to school, it would be too crazy to take a cruise that week, we'd have to leave the crack of dawn the morning after the wedding (every time I've left the day of a cruise we've had bizzarre problems... seats broken on a plane.. weird stuff) and since it will be the end of December, there's always weather worries.
So WDW it is!!! I know it will be crazy with it being right after Christmas, but I'm so excited to be there again at that time of year! I can't wait for him to see it all! I love trying to figure out where to make ressies and stuff! We've already decided on attemping to get the California Grill during Wishes the first night there (which will be the day after the wedding)

Ok.. enough rambling for one post!
Hope everyone had a great day!

Michelle princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter