Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

supernova

DIS Veteran
Just booked my annual WDW vacation. Usually I do the second week in December, but I've decided to forego Christmas this year and go for Halloween instead. And as a creature of habit, I always do my five nights at my DVC home resort, Wilderness Lodge. I wanted to try someplace new this time, but couldn't figure out which resort to pick. So instead, I picked... all of them.

Friday night: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Saturday night: Boardwalk
Sunday night: Grand Floridian
Monday night: Bay Lake Tower
Tuesday night: Wilderness Lodge

My loose itinerary so far looks like this:
Friday - fly in after work, have nice diner, and relax
Saturday - if my wife wants to, well visit Universal. Otherwise, we'll probably visit the Premium Outlets, meet friends for dinner, then walk the Boardwalk loop before bed
Sunday - sleep in, visit Downtown Disney, drive my wife to the airport, and head back for Mickey's Halloween Party.
Monday - Backstage Magic tour, and then maybe visit a few other resorts
Tuesday - Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Studios, and back to Epcot for the evening
Wednesday - character breakfast, then off to Universal if I don't go on Saturday, otherwise maybe a few other resorts, and then fly home

Whirlwind trip, but I'm looking forward to it!! No ADR's, no FastPass+ reservations, no Magic Your Way Length of Stay tickets, no overpriced meal plan. Just gonna go with the flow.

Yikes a lot of moving.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. Originally I was only going down from Sunday through Wednesday, so I was hoping to pack a carry-on suitcase only. Now with the extra two days, that might not happen. No problem living out of a suitcase, though, just as long as everything stays ironed. At least I'll be getting full use out of the rental car, though I've never allowed it to sit in one spot for a full day. There's just too much to do when I'm there to let that happen!

We will be there in September too! 22-28! You won't regret choosing Halloween over Christmas. It's our favorite time of year. We are staying at Kidman.

We will be there in September too! 22-28! You won't regret choosing Halloween over Christmas. It's our favorite time of year. We are staying at Kidman.

Sounds like I'll be missing you by a week. Enjoy your trip! I've been down for Halloween before and enjoyed it. Never in September, but at least the park is decorated. Still, after going down every year for Christmas, and then every third year for Halloween, I do miss seeing the non-decorated Magic Kingdom every now and again.

So what are your dates? I'll be there at BWVs from 9/14-9/18 and this is my first solo trip. Just winging it and, like you, no ADRs but I will do some FP+. Looking forward to your TR. Have fun!

Sounds like I'll be missing you by a week. Enjoy your trip! I've been down for Halloween before and enjoyed it. Never in September, but at least the park is decorated. Still, after going down every year for Christmas, and then every third year for Halloween, I do miss seeing the non-decorated Magic Kingdom every now and again.

So what are your dates? Doing my first solo trip in Sept. (14-18) and staying at BWVs. Like you, no ADRs but will do some FP+ otherwise just winging it. Looking forward to your TR. Have fun!

Hey Paula! I'm heading down on Sept 12 and returning on the 17th. I have been going solo for the past few years now and really love it. Eat when I want to, skip the rides I don't care to see or can't bother with the lines, avoid EVERY parade and stage show, etc. You're on your own time, so there's never an issue :)

He! We have been 25 times, but this is also our first Halloween trip. We've done Christmas several times. We will be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Sept 19-21, then we set sail on the Dream. We bought into the Grand Floridian, but they are booked. Hopefully next time!

With about a month and two weeks to go, I've added one more night's stay to the trip.

The hotels are now:
Friday night: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Saturday night: Boardwalk
Sunday night: Grand Floridian
Monday night: Bay Lake Tower
Tuesday night: Wilderness Lodge
Wednesday night: Saratoga Springs

My loose itinerary is now adjusted to:
Friday - fly in after work, have nice diner, and relax
Saturday - Visit the Premium Outlets, dinner off-property, then walk the Boardwalk loop
Sunday - Spend time at the pool, visit the resorts, drive my wife to the airport, and head back for Mickey's Halloween Party.
Monday - Backstage Magic tour, and then maybe visit a few other resorts
Tuesday - Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Studios, and back to Epcot for the evening
Wednesday - character breakfast, then off to Universal Studios for the day, and Halloween Horror Nights in the evening
Thursday - Walk from the Grand Stand at Saratoga Springs over to the Market Place (love that long, peaceful walk across property and along the water) to shop and for lunch, then walk back to relax at the pool before showering and driving back to the airport.

48 days out and still NO FastPass+, no ADR's. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not one to plan, I don't vacation with silly charts, graphs, and color-coded index cards. Vacationing shouldn't require that much effort.

:) Was there a method to your madness with the resorts? I think it sounds fun. I married a DVC purist who only wants to stay at AKV....our one night at BLT last year sealed my fate...he hated it. Have a great time!!

:) Was there a method to your madness with the resorts? I think it sounds fun. I married a DVC purist who only wants to stay at AKV....our one night at BLT last year sealed my fate...he hated it. Have a great time!!

There was, actually. The only resort I've ever stayed at for DVC was Wilderness Lodge. It's time to break out. And since it's basically a solo trip (except for the weekend), I have the luxury of moving without inconveniencing anyone else. If my wife wasn't coming along, I'd probably have selected one more resort for Saturday as well. But this will be great, and gives me a chance to finally experience other resorts (outside of just driving up and walking the grounds).

Wow!!! I am anxious to read your TR!!! I leave on Monday for 10 nights in 3 resorts...SSR, BWV and HHI. I like splits and can't wait to see how your trip goes!!!

Wow, that is a LOT of moving! Sounds exciting though. How cool to experience all those different resorts. We'll be at BWV Sept 19-27, then Wilderness Lodge Sept 27-Oct1. Going to MNSSHP on the 28th. Can't wait! 39 days to go. Looking forward to reading your report! :)

Wow!!! I am anxious to read your TR!!! I leave on Monday for 10 nights in 3 resorts...SSR, BWV and HHI. I like splits and can't wait to see how your trip goes!!!

Enjoy your trip! I'll be watching for your trip report as well! :)

Wow, that is a LOT of moving! Sounds exciting though. How cool to experience all those different resorts. We'll be at BWV Sept 19-27, then Wilderness Lodge Sept 27-Oct1. Going to MNSSHP on the 28th. Can't wait! 39 days to go. Looking forward to reading your report! :)

Thanks! Usually I do a week at Wilderness Lodge (any more than that and I start getting stir crazy, so one week is enough of a fix before I need to get the heck out of WDW). But by staying at the same hotel every single year, I figured it's time to start experiencing the other options. Can't wait for your trip report. Sounds like we'll just be missing each other.

wave.gif
So Mike, are you going to spring for the extra $99 at the Halloween Party and do the "Villains’ Sinister Soiree: A Wicked Takeover of Cinderella Castle dessert party?" Know it is pricey but thinking of all those Villains that you like so much will be there!

Good move this year on the Wilderness with the Silver Creek being closed on September 3rd. Takes away some of the magic in that area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter