Might switch to a 3-night on the Magic

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Seriously considering swapping my 4-night Dream cruise next year for a 3-night Magic cruise to Key West and Castaway Cay. I have never sailed the Magic nor have I ever been to Key West. I just really don't want to go back to Nassau. It would be the May 6th date. Any advice, tips, or such on the Magic or Key West?

Seriously considering swapping my 4-night Dream cruise next year for a 3-night Magic cruise to Key West and Castaway Cay. I have never sailed the Magic nor have I ever been to Key West. I just really don't want to go back to Nassau. It would be the May 6th date. Any advice, tips, or such on the Magic or Key West?
I wouldn't give up a 4 night for a 3 night. Too short. Well, a 4 night is too short for me, but a 3 night would drive me crazy.

I wouldn't give up a 4 night for a 3 night. Too short. Well, a 4 night is too short for me, but a 3 night would drive me crazy.
Ya, my daughter will have a fit we would be giving up the Dream. But I want to do Key West so I will have to go on the Magic. I don't mind the shorter cruises. I would like to do a 5-night western at some point.

Ya, my daughter will have a fit we would be giving up the Dream. But I want to do Key West so I will have to go on the Magic. I don't mind the shorter cruises. I would like to do a 5-night western at some point.
Well, I love the Magic, but Key West I could take or leave.

Well, I love the Magic, but Key West I could take or leave.
You usually have a picture for every inch of the ship. I have always found them helpful. When was the last time you sailed for each ship?

This May 6th sailing seems like it is booked up rather nicely, I think. I will contact my TA tomorrow. I am sure Key West will be a one and done port but I do want to see it.

Dream - 2014
Wonder - 2015
Magic - 2016
Fantasy - 2017
Many DISers share their photos with @PrincessShmoo (there must be quite an organized catalog of photos!). :worship:

So some of the photos are newer than those sail dates. And thanks again to @PrincessShmoo for the great work - it’s amazing how quickly the exact photos are shared in response to questions!

No cruises for at least 100 more days.

We took a ferry from North Fort Myers to KW a few years ago. We were staying on Sanibel Island, so it was a one day trip (about 3 hrs each way). We were there for a few hours and enjoyed taking the "train" around town to the tourist areas. It is a small town, so if you don't have mobility problems, you should be able to hit all the attractions on foot. There is no need to pay for a "tour" IMO, just decide what you want to see and map out your plan. We didn't bother to get traditional Cuban sandwiches or coffee and that is our big regret LOL! We do plan to take the ferry again, but this time we will plan on staying a couple nights so we can enjoy the ambiance of the New England Victorian homes and tree lined streets - it's lovely and funky!

We did a 5nt Magic in 2018 which included Key West and we had a blast. I'd like to go back, b/c they went into refurbishment and added the Rapunzel restaurant 2 months later, and we'd like to see that. WHile the 3nt would give me pause, we did love the itinerary. Key West is fun to pop off and do the tourist basics... we walked to the Southernmost Point (get off early! because man there were a ton of people walking there as we were walking back)... checked out some Key Lime shops and a few of the other shops. Not much was open yet since we did get off so early. But we had a great trip. If you've already been on Dream, I say go for it.

Could you look for a 5-night that includes Key West? We adore KW, but 3 nights is an awfully short cruise.

I would not switch from the dream to the magic, or from a 4 night to a 3 night, but that is just my personal preference. We much prefer the larger ships and longer cruises. Also, if you want to go to key west, take a trip there. No way to see it all in part of 1 day :)

I would not switch from the dream to the magic, or from a 4 night to a 3 night, but that is just my personal preference. We much prefer the larger ships and longer cruises. Also, if you want to go to key west, take a trip there. No way to see it all in part of 1 day :)
We have just done the Nassau trip twice and I want to see somewhere else.

Once I sailed on the Magic to Key West, I didn't want to go on the Dream again. The Magic is less crowded, especially Castaway Cay and Key West is definitely worth seeing and much better then Nassua. We took the bike tour, had lunch, and walked around. With a 3 day cruise you don't have repeat dining locations and every night there is a main show.

Once I sailed on the Magic to Key West, I didn't want to go on the Dream again. The Magic is less crowded, especially Castaway Cay and Key West is definitely worth seeing and much better then Nassua.

What's funny is after sailing on the Magic I decided to never cruise on the smaller ships again

I might be the only one, but I totally loved the Magic over the Dream. I really liked the smaller ship. I like the Rapunzel theming. I like the small size...everything just felt less crowded. We took the Magic out of Miami. We were supposed to stop at Key West-Nassau-day at sea-Castaway Cay. We have visited Key West before (drove down once). I would take Key West over Nassau any day! I have absolutely no desire to go back to Nassau.

All that being said, the weather really messed up our trip. It was too stormy in Key West so we went to Castaway Cay. The next day we went to Nassau as planned and the next day was spent at sea as planned. The last day that was originally supposed to be our Castaway Cay we tried to dock three times, and we just couldn't...so we got an extra day at sea. I wish we could have skipped Nassau and went straight to Castaway Cay.

It was a disappointing not to be able to stop at Key West. I think if we had only been on a 3-night cruise, it would be even more disappointing. That being said, I would pick a shorter cruise with the possibility of stopping at Key West over any cruise going to Nassau.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter