• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Might be bringing our dogs

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
We're starting to think ahead to October and getting pretty excited! We're also talking about possibly bringing a few of our dogs with- the kids are super excited about that! My question right now is are there areas dogs are NOT allowed? I know the kids want to walk them everywhere and also bring their dog stroller, and I want sure where they can or can't go...
:dog::dog::dog:

Those areas where Pets are NOT allowed are clearly marked. Generally speaking, you just need to make sure you clean up after your pet. As I recall, pets are not allowed in the pool areas and I want to say they are not allowed at the comfort stations. I cannot find anything where pets are NOT allowed (formally) but just that there are places that show where pets ARE allowed (but it's not an all inclusive list)

Even though there are "Pet friendly" loops designated, if you are walking your pets, you can walk in the other loops with your pets.

We brought ours last year for our first trip and we brought them everywhere except inside the buildings and inside the pool area. I don't remember if they're allowed on the beach, I would like that cleared up also if the dogs are allowed on the beach? We did bring our yorkie once at night on the beach for a quick run but she's tiny and it was late and I'm not sure looking back if she was allowed. :oops:
I wouldn't bring them on the dock. This campground is so large there are so many places to walk you dogs, we found it very dog friendly. Everyone while we were there also cleaned up after their pets so hope that is the norm when we go on our next trip in a few weeks. We had a great site right near the dog park. There was a gator in the water behind our camper near the dog park so be aware.

Last edited:
We took our two with us 3 years ago and they just loved it. Between going for long walks and the kids they met they were in heaven. When we Let them hear us discussing plans for our next projected trip to MOMMY AND DADDY CAMP they would run over to their leash hook and were ready to go. We did see a woman at the bus stop with a Yorkie in a stroller try and get on a bus for EPCOT not sure if she succeeded but yes dogs can be found all around The Fort. Bear in mind that there is a lot of Standing water in The Fort and you are in FLORIDA. The reality is there may be a gator somewhere nearby and anything smaller than it is on the menu. We Keep ours away from the waters edge and on a leash at all times and tend to walk the loop in the evening with a pocket full of clean up bags

I'm also curious about if they are allowed on the beach also :) Ours are tiny- 3-5 pound Chihuahuas, so we wouldn't be doing the dog parks or ever letting them free- we actually have a little fenced in "yard" we'd set up right by the camper, so when they weren't on leashes or in the stroller, they'd be staying in there when we were outside... It just sounds like so much fun to have them with us!

I also believe pets are not allowed in the Children "Play Areas" either. I am pretty sure I recall seeing a sign at the beach saying no pets there too (but I cannot honestly say for certain). I think, however, there are many factors, like anything else. For example those that have the "Pocketbook Pets" (i.e. the small animals that carry them around in a "Bag" (so to speak) or in a carriage and are not letting them run around are probably less of a concern then those with their German Shepard's or Labradors.

In the end, I think as long as you are respectful and safe (for you, your pet and others at the fort) overall, it won't be a big issue.

Serenity consider the lengths Disney has gone to in recent months to restrict HUMAN access to beaches and other waterfront areas. Then there will those who say "Well if they can have their Chihuahas why can't my Leonbergers be here too?" My recommendation would be, if you think they might be prohibited they most likely are You can always ask at the front desk for approved pet friendly areas and be guided acordingly

Last time we were there with our dog about 15 months ago pets were not allowed on the beach and not on the buses.

Serenity consider the lengths Disney has gone to in recent months to restrict HUMAN access to beaches and other waterfront areas. Then there will those who say "Well if they can have their Chihuahas why can't my Leonbergers be here too?" My recommendation would be, if you think they might be prohibited they most likely are You can always ask at the front desk for approved pet friendly areas and be guided acordingly
Makes sense- what my daughter hopes is to have her little guy snuggled up in her jacket and share watching the fireworks with him at least once- considering no one would even know I don't think it would create problems but at the same time- if it's a rule to not have them there we wouldn't do that .

We were just there a week ago walking around the Fort acquainting ourselves for our upcoming stay. I didn't see any signs saying no pets on the beach, and asked at the marina and also stopped a CM nearby walking if they are allowed. They said not in the water but allowed on the beach. But if I've learned one thing, it is you get many answers to a single question.

I remember being told before that no pets are allowed on the beach, but as stated just above, it depends on who you talk to.

Anyone remember the movie Airplane?
"The white zone zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the red zone"

Anybody? Oh well...

Serenity, what, no Bassett hounds?

I remember being told before that no pets are allowed on the beach, but as stated just above, it depends on who you talk to.

Anyone remember the movie Airplane?
"The white zone zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the red zone"

Anybody? Oh well...

Serenity, what, no Bassett hounds?
Listen Betty.... Don't start up with your white zone sh....

Well, you get the idea. If you don't... go rent the movie again.
:lmao:

Anyone who brings a pet to Ft Wilderness should ask their questions before they arrive or at the Outpost at Check-in. Dogs are not allowed on the beach, at the Meadows or the Settlement areas, on buses, in Laundry rooms, Comfort stations, children's playgrounds, in Pet-free Loops (ex. 1500, etc). If you choose to be non-compliant with the rules; you may be asked to either board your dog or leave. Also be aware that dogs must be on a leash (6' or less) anytime other than when it is in your camper or in the Dog Park.

Anyone who brings a pet to Ft Wilderness should ask their questions before they arrive or at the Outpost at Check-in. Dogs are not allowed on the beach, at the Meadows or the Settlement areas, on buses, in Laundry rooms, Comfort stations, children's playgrounds, in Pet-free Loops (ex. 1500, etc). If you choose to be non-compliant with the rules; you may be asked to either board your dog or leave. Also be aware that dogs must be on a leash (6' or less) anytime other than when it is in your camper or in the Dog Park.

I agree with all except the "Pet Free" loops part. While there are "Pet Friendly" loops designated, I do not believe they have any loops designated as "Pet Free". Just because they are not listed as a designated Pet Friendly loop, means nothing (unless signs are posted otherwise). The Fort has the right to allow pets in ANY loop should the demand arise. So, for example, all the designated pet loops with appropriate spots for a particular trailer (perhaps a real large one) are already taken. The Fort can temporarily (or permanently) designate ANY loop (or site) as Pet friendly.

I have been in loops that were not designated as Pet friendly and saw many people walking their pets (respectfully and cleaning up after them as needed).

I agree with all except the "Pet Free" loops part. While there are "Pet Friendly" loops designated, I do not believe they have any loops designated as "Pet Free". Just because they are not listed as a designated Pet Friendly loop, means nothing (unless signs are posted otherwise). The Fort has the right to allow pets in ANY loop should the demand arise. So, for example, all the designated pet loops with appropriate spots for a particular trailer (perhaps a real large one) are already taken. The Fort can temporarily (or permanently) designate ANY loop (or site) as Pet friendly.

I have been in loops that were not designated as Pet friendly and saw many people walking their pets (respectfully and cleaning up after them as needed).

Well you are correct in part; in that "Service Animals" are allowed most anywhere...including the dog-free areas and Loops. Your dog/pets however are not. A lot of people have been breaking the rules in the past few years and just pushing to see how far they can go. They think they've gotten away with it if they are not "caught" and made to leave at that moment, but in reality they are only helping to make the case for a Dog-Free Ft. Wilderness (the way it used to be). When I see dogs in the pet-free areas, I make a call and have the incident noted.... because people who love Ft Wilderness, but would prefer not to vacation in a Dog resort, have rights too.

Well you are correct in part; in that "Service Animals" are allowed most anywhere...including the dog-free areas and Loops. Your dog/pets however are not. A lot of people have been breaking the rules in the past few years and just pushing to see how far they can go. They think they've gotten away with it if they are not "caught" and made to leave at that moment, but in reality they are only helping to make the case for a Dog-Free Ft. Wilderness (the way it used to be). When I see dogs in the pet-free areas, I make a call and have the incident noted.... because people who love Ft Wilderness, but would prefer not to vacation in a Dog resort, have rights too.

Okay, So here is the problem I have. While trying to "resolve" this issue (as I though what I was saying was correct), I could NOT find any documented rules/policy on the net. Only that Pets are allowed at the Fort and then that maps show the Pet friendly loops. So I called and spoke with a CM at the Fort. He did confirm that Pets are only allowed in the designated pet loops, pet paths and the pet parks. They are not allowed in Tents or Campers with canvas nor are they allowed in the cabins. Pets out side the Campers must be with the owners and must be leashed (not to exceed 8'). They are also not allowed in the "Recreational Areas" (except the dog park)

So when I asked where the rules are published he did indicate they are on the website (this was at the beginning of the call) but then after he located and read the policy from his computer, I told him it's not on the website. He tried to find it but could not.

So to have a policy that is NOT published for the guests to follow could be one reason that it's not fully enforced. Indeed, from a legal aspect, it could certainly be challenged were an issue to be made about it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want people violating the rules and if they do they should bare the consequences... that said, the loops (as I recall) are NOT labeled as "No Pets" (in general) nor have I seen anything that states "Pets allowed in designated areas only". So since pets are indeed allowed at the Fort, the assumption by an average person would likely be that a rule/policy/sign needs to either explicitly Allow the pets in CERTAIN areas only or it has to explicitly declare where pets are NOT allowed.

I work in Information Technology and we would view this as one of either 2 sets of rules/policies.
  • Allow All Except XXX policy
  • Deny All Except XXX policy
Essentially a blanket policy with the exceptions noted.

So while there is a policy stating that pets are only allowed in specified areas (the "Deny All Except XXX policy) it's not well published or advertised to those that are to abide by the rules. So what is a person to think? Naturally the other policy ("Allow All Except XXX policy"), which in this case is incorrect.

The funny thing is that when we were there in November 2016, we were in the 500 loop (a pet friendly loop but we were without our pet) but there was a "No Pets" sign I saw by the walking path from Fort Wilderness Trail to the Comfort station between loops 400 and 500. When we were there in November 2014, in loop 1400 (non-pet friendly loop and again without our pet), I didn't notice any "No Pets" sign in that loop.

So how does one know if it is a service dog ?? By law they don't have to vest that says service dog. Maybe it is a PTSD dog, insulin dog, etc. Asking one about a service dog is an inquiry into one's personal medical record and they do not have to answer. All one needs to answer is if it is a service dog and what tasks does the dog perform.

Pet-Friendly Policy
Furry friends are welcome to join your family’s camping adventure as long as the following conditions are met.
  • All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
  • Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the Resort.

@parrothead64 I have seen this on other "Websites" but have just now found it on Disney's website (after your post... Thank you by the way). Ironically, it goes back to what I was saying initially. the Allow ALL except XXX Policy. As long as your pet is good/obedient and doesn't interfere with others AND there is no sign otherwise prohibiting it, you can go in those areas that are not defined as "Pet Friendly Loops". Despite what the CM stated to me on the phone earlier today (which included that you are only allowed in Pet-friendly loops and other "Defined" areas)

For reference: this policy can be found at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/ under the "Pet-Friendly policy" section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter