• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mid to Late August or Thanksgiving time?

Paigesmom2013

DIS Veteran
Hi. So our spring break trip is off. (See other posts.) We had decided to cancel as of last night anyway, but are wondering when to reschedule? The choices are pretty much August 18-25 or November 24-December 1. The pros of August would be that me and the kids would not miss school but is it really hot like DW? Plus, I really really really need a vacation as fast as possible. Thanksgiving would have Christmas decorations but I'm guessing it's crazy busy? We are waiting on DH's boss to say yay or nay to either week.

For your August dates, I said this in another thread:
...be sure to check the AP Blockout Calendar to see when the lower APs will be allowed back into the parks (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/). It looks like the summer blockout lifts starting Aug. 17th, so expect a wave of local passholders to hit the parks after being blocked out for the summer. The weekend before the blockout lift might be good so that you can avoid that wave. Disneyland isn't necessarily less busy on weekdays -- Mondays are usually very busy (What’s up with Mondays?). Wednesdays are usually pretty good days in the parks. Also keep an eye on the date HM will go down for the Halloween overlay installation -- usually any time around the 20-something of Aug. If that ride is important to you, you'll want to avoid that refurb.
You might want to check in on the *** Official August 2020 Thread *** to find out about news and events going on around your trip dates....

Based on the above, I'd go with November. August will be warm, but not nearly as humid as FL. November will be better. And the crowds will be different -- check your dates with the AP Blockout Calendar. Yes, it might be busy, but I'd try to avoid that surge of lower APs returning after the summer block. If you really want August, can you go one week earlier?

I've gone the week that AP's unblock in 2016 and am doing it again this year. The hotel rates go down and while there are a lot of AP's descending there are less out of town peeps because a lot of schools are back in session. We will have MP and plan to book everything at 30 days so it should be doable for us. I'm also going the 1st week of December- I'm pulling my kiddo out because there's (historically) a lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas visits according to the boards. So we will probably see you either way! :)

If it were me I'd choose August. Most CA schools start school mid-August and even when its really hot it is nothing like FL. The sun is hot, but a little shade goes a long way. I was there in September a few years ago and it was crazy hot (101-102)... we were fine. On the other hand, we did WDW last June and it was in the 80's; we were walking around with spray bottles to keep ourselves cool.

We decided to do August. I didn't want to wait until November. We can't go earlier because kids have summer camp.
I'll just have to deal with the APs and make it work and do the parks midweek. Our original trip during spring break would have been crowded anyway. Even though we live in the midwest, hubby and I like it hot and sunny. Mid 80s is my wheelhouse! As long as it's not humid like Orlando. We went once in September and it was miserable.

We decided to do August. I didn't want to wait until November. We can't go earlier because kids have summer camp.
I'll just have to deal with the APs and make it work and do the parks midweek. Our original trip during spring break would have been crowded anyway. Even though we live in the midwest, hubby and I like it hot and sunny. Mid 80s is my wheelhouse! As long as it's not humid like Orlando. We went once in September and it was miserable.
If you've survived the humidity in Orlando, you should do just fine at DLR in August! You're already here doing your planning, so the crowds shouldn't be too much of a problem either. At least they won't catch you by surprise. As always, do your research and make your best plans, have a backup ready to go, then relax and be flexible, and let the magic happen! You should be fine. And don't forget to join the *** Official August 2020 Thread ***! :)

We will have MP and plan to book everything at 30 days so it should be doable for us

I think you are talking about food and activity reservations. Just so you know in case you thought this; maxpass isn’t like pastpass+ at Disneyworld, you can’t reserve fastpasses in advance. Everything is day of after you scan into the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter