Mid Manhattan hotel recommendations

Tuffcookie

Enjoys an early hour of peace. Is a smart cookie.
I am thinking of going to The Big Apple next year. I have never been and am making a list of things I want to do. I do know I want to stay in mid-Manhattan. I would be going for 4 nights. Nothing majorly expensive, maybe 4 stars. Any recommendations?

What type of things do you value in a hotel?

New York city hotels are generally small due to how expensive space is.

What type of amenities do you want in the hotel vs will you want to go outside for? A typical 4 star hotel should have a nice restaurant on site, but in New York, I am not basing my hotel choice based on the in house restaurant. Gym is also somewhat marginal in NY with plenty of pay per use class and gym options that might be more desirable than a small hotel gym.

Hotels I like - Hilton Times Square. Location right in the hussle and bussle. The Andaz is also a great hotel. The W times square.

I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis a few times, Cindy. Excellent, higher end hotel, 4 stars, not necessarily moderate cost. Right in Times Square.

Just did a Marriott search, Feb 26-March 2, 2025 comes up as lowest price with flexible date search. 4 nights, senior rate. Not low cost, but nice hotels in NYC are not.

Marriott Senior Discount
Includes 62 years and older valid ID required
Rate Details
Was 481
now 438 USD Avg/Night
1,752 Total Per Room
Taxes and all fees included

I've done a lot of searching for NYC hotels since DS moved there nearly 2 years ago. There are lots of them, but it can be tricky (at least for us) to find the right room type for a fairly decent price. We travel with our other adult son who really needs his own sleeping space on longer trips. That leaves us needing at least a 1-bedroom suite with a sofa bed in the living room for him. For shorter trips, we can usually make do with 2 queen beds, although most of the older hotels only have double beds (too small for DH and me to be comfortable).

We took a week-long trip in February and stayed at Hotel Edison on 47th. The location was perfect. It was less than a block to Times Square and in easy walking distance of the theaters and a subway station. We had a suite with a king in the bedroom and a sofa bed and 2nd TV in the living room for DS. The rate for that trip was $186/night. I'm looking at the same room for our upcoming trip in June and it's $431! That's a bit high for our budget!

I currently have us booked at the Hyatt Place on 39th, but I'm going to keep searching in case I find something better.

We like Luma because it has decent sized rooms with two king beds and is right by the Whole Foods.

OMG, accommodations is the least of your considerations when it comes to NYC. I dont have enough brain cells to elaborate.

We like the Marriott Courtyard Manhattan Mid Town East. It is about a 10 min walk to Times Square but out of all the craziness. The rooms are huge for NYC and it also has a subway stop right near it if you plan to use that to get around the city. Hope this helps!

What type of things do you value in a hotel?

New York city hotels are generally small due to how expensive space is.

What type of amenities do you want in the hotel vs will you want to go outside for? A typical 4 star hotel should have a nice restaurant on site, but in New York, I am not basing my hotel choice based on the in house restaurant. Gym is also somewhat marginal in NY with plenty of pay per use class and gym options that might be more desirable than a small hotel gym.

Hotels I like - Hilton Times Square. Location right in the hussle and bussle. The Andaz is also a great hotel. The W times square.
We were last there 20ish years ago and stayed at Hilton Times Square. We really liked it.

We’ve done the pricey time square and the ones near MOMA but honestly the cleanest, cheapest, most comfortable one was on 27th the INNside Nomad. It’s a Melia hotel. It’s walking distance to Times Sq, Flatiron, Fashion and the train. There was a fantastic deli a couple blocks over called the Miami. We walked to the High line, we took train to Brooklyn and went to the flea market in DUMBO. I think next time we may stay in Brooklyn. We really liked it there.

When visiting NYC, we stay at either the Marriott Marquis or The Michelangelo. Great locations in Time Square. Not cheap, though.

Growing up there NYC has always been a place where you need to be cautious. Where you stay is a big thing because there are MANY places that have "hourly rates" run by staff skimming from the top to turn a blind eye for off the books activities of various kinds, if you get my drift. This isn't just like a dozen, here are many many many more than you can imagine so if you think you found a deal it is a signal, like the opposite of YAY. You can maybe be ok digging in deep to reviews, thank goodness reviews spread the word now. This was my past more recently it looked like it got a whole lot worse, now that there are so many transients in hotels it boggles my mind to think what may be going on in plain sight so, if it was me, I would probably look for a 5 star very expensive place with top reviews and follow the concierge suggestions. I drove in to visit someone recently, it looked like a dystopian movie set, made me very sad.

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis two years ago with a killer deal from Costco Travel that also included R/T airport transfers. If you are a Costco member, check there first and compare!

Growing up there NYC has always been a place where you need to be cautious. Where you stay is a big thing because there are MANY places that have "hourly rates" run by staff skimming from the top to turn a blind eye for off the books activities of various kinds, if you get my drift. This isn't just like a dozen, here are many many many more than you can imagine so if you think you found a deal it is a signal, like the opposite of YAY. You can maybe be ok digging in deep to reviews, thank goodness reviews spread the word now. This was my past more recently it looked like it got a whole lot worse, now that there are so many transients in hotels it boggles my mind to think what may be going on in plain sight so, if it was me, I would probably look for a 5 star very expensive place with top reviews and follow the concierge suggestions. I drove in to visit someone recently, it looked like a dystopian movie set, made me very sad.
Well. Better to not comment I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter