Mid-July heat

Miffy

DIS Veteran
I realize it'll be hot in mid-July at WDW, but how much worse will it be than it was the 2nd week of May this year? Because it was pretty darn hot then--we were there May 3rd thru the 11th--and we survived with the rope-drop-and-leave-by-noon-then-return-in-the-evening strategy.

Or is it just unbearable in July? Sun directly overhead, heat beating down on a person, and all that. Because . . . the AP discounts are pretty good for July and we're contemplating doing this but not if we end up having to stay in the room the whole time!

Thanks!

I was there May 4-7 and don't remember being too bothered with the temps. That said, it's HOT in July. Then add in the summertime humidity and bam, double heat whammy!! Plus it will most likely storm every afternoon as well. It is also Florida and can be very unpredictable weather wise any time of the year.

I was there May 4-7 and don't remember being too bothered with the temps. That said, it's HOT in July. Then add in the summertime humidity and bam, double heat whammy!! Plus it will most likely storm every afternoon as well. It is also Florida and can be very unpredictable weather wise any time of the year.
I think you mentioned the magic word: humidity. I probably wouldn't be too happy, to say the least. If it were the only time I could go, that'd be different. But it isn't.
And thanks for the quick reply!

I’ve been during early May and late July…July is definitely much hotter. I only live a few hours from WDW, so I’m fairly used to the weather, but July was still difficult. I’ve always thought the weather in early May was quite nice in the parks.

That said, if you decide to go, we also find a mid-day break definitely works well for hot days.

We are going in late July. We last went to WDW in mid July 2018. We didn't go into the parks in the daytime after one disastrous attempt at a morning in MK. We thought we would try to ride Splash Mountain, and it was awful how hot it was. I had to take my younger son back to Contemporary because he was not able to tolerate it. We went straight into the pool.

After that, we stuck with late afternoons amd evenings in the parks. We had 10 day tickets, so we felt like we got more than enough park time in by doing 4 or 5pm to close every night.

We have a similar plan of attack this year. 8 day tickets, will only do late afternoons into the evening at the parks. Planning to do 3 resort EEH nights (2 MK, 1 Epcot). What I like about that is the lower sun angle and additional cloud cover that the afternoons tend to have make it MUCH easier to tolerate the heat and humidity. It's the blazing sun that makes us miserable.

We also like hitting the resort pool or waterparks in the mornings after breakfast. It's so nice because there is hardly anyone there at that time. I remember I was able to literally swim laps in Stormalong Bay because it was so empty.

We visit in late August.

The heat is manageable -- you just have to plan for it. Pack clothing made from lightweight, moisture-wicking fabrics, like those made for golfers, runners, fishermen, etc. If you must bring a park bag, let it be a lightweight crossbody or breathable backpack, and don't overload it with unnecessary items: a heavy load will make you feel hotter. If you're a fan of cooling towels, pack those, too. Stop frequently for rest/drink breaks, and take advantage of the free iced water at CS locations. And plan your touring so that you're hitting rides with mostly "outdoor" queues (e.g., Slinky Dog Dash, Jungle Cruise) first thing in the morning or last thing at night, when the temperatures are cooler. During the hottest times of day (10am-4pm), focus on indoor rides and meals, so that you can pass from one air-conditioned space to another -- or plan to spend most of that time resting back at your hotel, where you can grab a shower, take a nap, put on a clean shirt, and head out again feeling refreshed.

F2B64634-99D7-4B86-8184-C65A7F7463DE.jpeg
^ This IMHO is what makes the biggest difference.

While early May is already getting hot in Orlando, it is not rare to have highs under 85f. You can still expect plenty of blue skies during a week. The true rainy season has not started yet. Humidity will not be an ever lasting battle.

A13E5B42-53F2-4019-AF62-12BEE0623101.jpegB209BB1B-9E56-468B-9AA5-E81B4B3BBD3C.jpegDFD54B6A-220D-4182-83F7-093BDF25E3EB.jpeg

I was at Epcot yesterday and the feel temperature went up to 106F at some point during the day. People were sleeping at the tables at Sunshine Seasons due to that park not having a lot of places to sit in the shade.

I've been early-mid May and it was hot, but manageable. June/July is WAY worse. Mid day breaks are a must.

Summer in WDW is like sitting in a hot sauna on the surface of the sun. I hate the weather, yet we keep returning in the summer.
Well I think there is some good news here. For those who find summer is their best (or only) option, it seems that time of year has become less crowded. Plus the park days are long and night is short.

We are going in late July. We last went to WDW in mid July 2018. We didn't go into the parks in the daytime after one disastrous attempt at a morning in MK. We thought we would try to ride Splash Mountain, and it was awful how hot it was. I had to take my younger son back to Contemporary because he was not able to tolerate it. We went straight into the pool.

After that, we stuck with late afternoons amd evenings in the parks. We had 10 day tickets, so we felt like we got more than enough park time in by doing 4 or 5pm to close every night.

We have a similar plan of attack this year. 8 day tickets, will only do late afternoons into the evening at the parks. Planning to do 3 resort EEH nights (2 MK, 1 Epcot). What I like about that is the lower sun angle and additional cloud cover that the afternoons tend to have make it MUCH easier to tolerate the heat and humidity. It's the blazing sun that makes us miserable.

We also like hitting the resort pool or waterparks in the mornings after breakfast. It's so nice because there is hardly anyone there at that time. I remember I was able to literally swim laps in Stormalong Bay because it was so empty.
This is super helpful. I'm also not a fan of the direct sun. I remember being there once the first week in June, which is the latest hot month I've ever been there--and I couldn't bear being outside during the day because of the sun even more than the heat.

I think we've discarded the idea of mid-July. I mean, we were just there in May even though of course the itch to return never goes away.

I hate the heat and humidity but only usually go in July. It really feels like you're baking. Once I checked the weather app and the heat index was 11...out of 10! I didn't know that could happen. But you plan for constant AC breaks and it just works out. And speaking of workout you will lose a ton of weight in sweat! Hydrate!

We visit in late August.

The heat is manageable -- you just have to plan for it. Pack clothing made from lightweight, moisture-wicking fabrics, like those made for golfers, runners, fishermen, etc. If you must bring a park bag, let it be a lightweight crossbody or breathable backpack, and don't overload it with unnecessary items: a heavy load will make you feel hotter. If you're a fan of cooling towels, pack those, too. Stop frequently for rest/drink breaks, and take advantage of the free iced water at CS locations. And plan your touring so that you're hitting rides with mostly "outdoor" queues (e.g., Slinky Dog Dash, Jungle Cruise) first thing in the morning or last thing at night, when the temperatures are cooler. During the hottest times of day (10am-4pm), focus on indoor rides and meals, so that you can pass from one air-conditioned space to another -- or plan to spend most of that time resting back at your hotel, where you can grab a shower, take a nap, put on a clean shirt, and head out again feeling refreshed.
This is some great advice. I hate hate the heat...big time shade seeker. I bought moisture wicking performance wear and it made all the difference....especially the socks. I have been in may and august but never July. Beg and end of aug was doable. Will see how july is in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

We've decided not to go in July. Humidity and direct sunlight are not my friends.

ETA: See my next post!

Last edited:
We go every July.

It is an "interesting" time to be at WDW.

I take 3 Showers a day just to keep the sweat beat down a little bit.lol

And the daily lightning Storms rival the nightly Fireworks shows.

We've decided not to go in July. Humidity and direct sunlight are not my friends.
When did you decide to go? As another mentioned, we were also there in May when you were and that heat was manageable compared to the summer.

I’m always surprised how little I see UV blocking umbrellas mentioned. I’m fair skinned (redhead) with a chronic illness where my body doesn’t regulate my temperature correctly and that thing is a MUST. Not only does it keep you out of the sun, it legitimately feels 10 degrees cooler underneath it. A lot of people try regular umbrellas and they might help a bit, but the UV blocking fabric is much more effective. I recommend them no matter what time of year you go.

You probably made the right decision to postpone. May can get hot, but July is another ballgame because of the humidity. I remember thinking it’d feel cooler after it stormed but I swear it felt worse. It’s like walking through a bowl of Ramen fresh out of the microwave.

So . . . yeah . . . the lure of WDW is too much to resist. We are indeed going. We decided to stay at AKL, so if we end up at the resort/in the room most of the day, it'll be fantastic.

Many many MANY thanks to everyone who posted!
Have a great trip! Sooner is almost always better lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter