Mickey Power!!! - July 2019 - Once Upon a Time When DHS Opened After Sunrise - 2/27

Thank you for sharing your family's CDH journey with us. Sending love, light, and hope all the way from NJ :hug:
Thank you! I try not to dwell on it much, but I do like to mention it time to time because it's something that's 1 in 2500 (there were actually several cases in the hospital when we were there) but not many people have heard of it. And it does tie in to some things that caused us some stress and worry later in the trip.
Always love the excitement of that first morning!
Ugh, this is the worst type of person! :headache:
Maybe not worst, but easily top 10. :rotfl2:
That's so annoying and so completely far away from boarding protocol that I don't even know where to begin with this one. But I'm glad R liked it!
I'm not sure what it was all about... maybe she misunderstood us or we misunderstood her, but it seemed odd.
Thank you for this!!! I'm glad you found the fill stations convenient. I was debating whether or not to bring my s'well to the parks this year, and I think I will, since the new stations are getting good reviews!
I liked it. I wish they had ice also, but with insulated bottles we just put a lot of ice in every morning and it didn't melt completely.
SM FP+ can get REALLY bad. I'm sorry you went through that!
Honestly, I've never seen it like that.
He is such a little munchkin!!!

Sounds like there were some snafus at Magic Kingdom that morning, but you guys made the best of it! I can't wait to read more!
It was a pretty good morning, really. I was surprised by some of the lines. They weren't what I expect early in the morning and it wasn't even a "busy" day.
No sleep like a Disney sleep. :)
I don't know... that night before you go can be a tough one to sleep!
Sure. I've had the sh... uh... stuffing scared out of me to on a good coaster. Good planning. Bring some diapers for the kids, too?
:lmao:
I hadn't heard that, having always used busses.
Well not all of us can have a VIP pass.
I thought there were only 2 boats. Do you know how many there are?
3, I believe. The Richard F Irvine, The Admiral Joe Fowler and The General Joe Potter. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Good plans. Maybe put pointy things on the front too.
Don't tempt me.
Wow. Wonder if she would've been very understanding if you'd taken her legs out from under her while she was holding a baby.
Probably not in the least. And despite the fact that she was half running on a moving boat dock and cutting in and out in front of people I'm sure it wouldn't be her fault at all.

Want to know the best part?

When we got on the boat, I pushed the stroller up as close to the front of the ferry as I could get. And I was standing right next to her.

Well worth her effort, wasn't it?
And yet... and yet... it can also be one of the best parts.
Ok, valid point.
"You're in charge of photos." "No you're doing that!"
There wasn't even any of that... we just didn't have a free hand or time!!!
Whoops! Rookie mistake, dude!
I'm used to planning for EMH... but I didn't think they sold enough tickets to EMM to make it back up quite like that. Althought, I'm sure that 7DMT being closed probably amplified it.
Well, that's not bad for PP, actually. Even for that time of day.
Not horrible, but I've never waited that long before at rope drop.
Gee, I wonder why?

ahem
Live & learn?
Let's go with traumatize! Make your mark!
In for a penny, in for a pound!
I see a pretty big smile, there. :)
I think there were 2.
Oy. There's a reason I try not to go then.
Of course I understand school and other commitments, but.. HOT!
True. I don't mind the heat too much. Yeah it was hot, but we planned for it. As long as I can have some shade and not be in the full force of the sun... I don't really mind it.
I don't carry water bottles, because I tend to only like flavoured water (especially with carbonation and a Coke label on the can)
But I can see how this would be a really good addition.
Well, I do try to limit my carbonated beverage intake (and I can't afford a copious amount of Disney drinks) so having an insulated bottle was nice for that occasional drink. And we could refill them at the CS places and have cold water for the next few hours.
Really! I've never seen it longer than a walk on.
Same here!
Yeah, I know exactly where you mean. That's pretty backed up for FP.
::yes::
Whereupon you snubbed your nose at them?

Tell me you did.
At that point, I didn't trust the system so I was afraid to snub on the condition that I thought the CMs might throw another curveball.
Yeah... I found the standby line track was smoother (much smoother) than the FP line track.
But I'm not waiting an hour in line for a smoother ride.
Actually, I did notice this on our last trip in 2017, that this side was rougher than the other. I considered going to MK one evening for EMH and likely would have ridden it again. Would have been interesting to see the comparison.
Yeah...
Here at 7-11, they have biodegradable straws that I can't tell the difference from regular plastic straws.
::yes:: There are a lot of other alternatives to paper. I fully argue that Disney's straw/lid ban is not so much an Eco friendly move as a budget friendly move.
Thanks for posting your R summary/update. It helped fill in a few gaps for me. It's amazing to see him doing so well, and looking so grown-up and happy at Disney! I'm sure it's still very stressful having to always be on guard and wait for potential medical things to come up, but I'm so pleased to see how far R has come so far.
Thanks! I know I've shared some, but I didn't think I shared much detail. I kind of wanted to give some background because he caused us a little bit of worry at one point, but also sometimes I just think about what he's been through and it's pretty amazing.
YES.

Oh my goodness, I know the exact feeling of being in a crowd with people cutting in, and the internally-brewing rage that accompanies being around frustrating other people at Disney! Kids being difficult at Disney? That doesn't bother me. But adults? They know better.

If only we could go to Disney without all the other people there.
Exactly. Kids run in front of me? No big deal. It happens and I'm usually ready for it and expect it. An adult? I'll run ya down!

One of these days when I'm a billionaire, I'll rent the park for the day and you're invited. :rotfl2:
Awesome! :lovestruc They all look so big!!
Uh oh! That's unfortunate! The EMH are an easy thing to miss when you're planning, but it seems like it definitely added to your wait time this day.
This was the EMM ticketed event. I really didn't expect those to have the type of impact that they did! I'm sure I saw it in my research (I rescheduled DHS because of the one there) but apparently I paid no attention because I didn't expect it to be a huge factor.
Oh no! Poor R! And poor Daddy!
At least it isn't as long as IASW.
Possibly a good call.
Ooh, I hadn't even thought about this! I was anticipating the paper straws for sodas and things, but I hadn't thought about how it would impact frozen drinks. Making a note to pack a few reusable plastic/metal straws from home. I'm all for limiting plastic waste, but I can see how this could be tricky with little ones!
Good call. They worked ok for the most part, but it seemed like something about those frozen drinks just turned them to mush.
Aw I love R's sweet baby face in the hospital pictures. I hope he continues to do well.
Thank you!
lol at the stroller incident, I would have sped up too.
Well, at least I'm not the only one! :thumbsup2

This must be a dad thing, because you sound JUST LIKE ALEX. I thought I was listening to my husband explain his stroller drama all over again. :rotfl:
I will admit, though, I think guests have become worse about hopping in front of strollers. Gotta get one family ahead, you know...:rolleyes2
Oh, it definitely is a Dad thing! :rotfl2:

I should have added my passive aggressive behavior on the boat. I pushed the stroller as far forward on the boat as I could when we boarded. And stood right next to her. So she gained literally nothing.
You guys were excited to see the castle again. It's understandable. And you got one of all three kids in the hub, that totally counts.
Well, after his reaction on Peter Pan and him screaming for Mom, it's understandable.
At that point it just had to be something outdoors.
I think those days are over. Maybe it's because of morning magic or because the welcome show is in the park or just more guests are aware of that rope drop opening plan, but either way I don't think that first hour is empty in the parks anymore.
That's the truth. Actually you hit on some good points and I really think the combination of all of them has made it a bit of a perfect storm. Granted, the first hour or 2 wasn't bad, but it just wasn't the walk-on lines I'd come to expect over the years.
I remember you writing about the medical issues with R before, but seeing that picture of the hospital with all the machines really puts it in perspective. Glad to hear that he is doing fairly well.
Thank you!
That exact same thing happened to me last year. At the time I was convinced something had gone wrong. But I guess that’s just how they run things. Seems a bit strange though.
Seems like they're maybe giving out too many SM FPs too!
We may be taking our first summer trip next summer. Looking forward to hearing how wait times, heat, etc is for you. I wonder if free dining ticked up the crowds this year since I don't ever recall them offering it other summers?
I'll be honest, I don't think free dining impacted crowds too much. We made some changes to ADRs right up to before we left and even looked at grabbing a few added meals during the course of the trip and I saw a lot more availability than I'd seen in the past. Honestly, if I was to compare to our trip in July 2017, I'd say it felt considerably less crowded. It was easier to get around the parks, the walkways weren't jammed, but lines for rides, snacks, and anything else that there might be a line for were among the worst I've seen. I guess everybody was just standing in a line somewhere.
Traveling SCORE!
Is this even possible?!
Before this trip, I wouldn't have thought so! The benefit of making nearly half the drive while everyone slept.
I know; the struggle is real.
UGH, that sounds terrible. Such a turn off.
That sales tactic is about the quickest way to ensure 100% you don't earn my business.
You guys are doing such a labor of love. Good work, guys!
Thank you.
I didn't know this part! But it sounds like you have a good handle on knowing what to look for.
We do. Although I do find at times that DW will worry about if he's acting funny and I'll take a look and be like "he's alright." (This conversation does happen at Disney World a few times.)
I know how hard it must be to be constantly vigilant like that. :hug:
DW more so than me. My initial reaction is always, he's alright, I need to see more symptoms.
I remember that. Such a stellar team you had!
Awww, thanks, Andy. That means the world to us nurses!
:thumbsup2 Keep up the good work!
I super hate this chore, and it's always a tough call between doing it at night when you're dead tired or worse, in the morning when you're raring to go!
I try to have it pretty much together at night and just get the water ready in the morning. Really wasn't too bad after we set it up that first day. Just grab a few more snacks and a fresh set of ponchos.
Oopsies. Sorry about your ankle I just aimed at.
More like sorry, not sorry!
YAY for another parenting win!
It's how you build character.
Nothing you could have prevented or known.... keep on truckin'.
It worked ok. We accomplished our main objectives plus a few more.
Yeah, been hurting for a while now. :( I'll ride in (reluctantly) with my kiddos in a few weeks, but will probably regret it.
I still like it and didn't regret it... but I felt like that one time was enough. I've noticed this with a few of my favorite rollercoasters that I've grown up with over the past few years. I don't know if it is their age or mine, but either way getting old sucks.

That's great!
I was pretty happy that it worked out so easily.
Sounds like a very smooth trip!
It was. Can't think of a time it went any better.
I can totally relate to that. Well not the 900 mile drive. I would have to stop and sleep on a drive that long. I don't think I myself have ever driven that long. Ever.
:rotfl2: I've made enough 500 - 1000 mile drives like that and it really doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I kind of enjoy it! Get some podcasts playing and just drive.
That sounds convenient. Until this....
Yeah... it was rough.
That's not at all a glowing recommendation. :sad2:
No. Not at all. And I did let them know how I felt when they asked for feedback.
Thanks for that! While I lived through your struggles and was there to listen to the tales as they unwound, it was nice to hear it in a synopsis form which put it better in perspective just how hard he struggled and how far he has come.
Thank you. I know that I'd shared some at the time but honestly didn't remember how much so I wanted to give some background.
Yeah, they do the exact same thing with scooters, except those can plow them down more easily. :sad2:
:rotfl2:
And the one in DCA will often have 45 minute long lines. Go figure.
That's just crazy...
I haven't been on MK's Space Mtn in years. The last time I rode, it was just too jerky for my tastes and I couldn't handle it. I much prefer DLs.
I have to agree. I can still tolerate the MK version, but DL is so much better!
I'll remember to pack our reusable straws on the next trip....
Wow. Thankfully we have the technology to discover these things so early on now but wow that must've been a lot to process while she was pregnant.
Man, it was a whirlwind for sure.
How overwhelming this must've been. What a little fighter you guys have!
::yes:: Sometimes when we're getting frustrated with his stubbornness, you just kind of have to think that's part of why he's still here.
That's amazing!

Thank you for sharing R's story. I'm sure it couldn't have been easy for you to relive all the hard moments by typing them out.
I'd shared some in the past, but I did want to give a little more detail into some of the issues he had and some of the hardware he's carrying.
Thanks for this- the meaning of the job gets lost sometimes in the long, hard shifts. 🥰
::yes:: As we saw there are some difficult families and patients. I know it isn't always easy. But thank you.
Wow what's the point?
It might have cut 1/3 of the walk off?
What on earth is wrong with people!
If we knew, maybe we could fix it.
Yup agreed!
:thumbsup2
:rotfl: only one way to find out!
I like the way you think!
:confused3:confused3 Logic has no place here.
I just don't know... maybe she misunderstood or we misunderstood... :confused3
Yup the older I get, the more I feel this way lol.
Tell me about it
Thank you so much for the story about R! I already knew much of the background, but I enjoyed seeing the pictures and seeing how far he's come. What an amazing kid!
Thank you. I know I'd shared some over the past, but seeing that picture and knowing that I'd have to revisit some level of explanation about it I just thought I'd summarize it. He's come far for sure!
I'm so nervous about having a stroller at Disney World! I will do my best to not run into other people, but I'm with you - if you jump in the way of the obvious stroller, good luck to you! :laughing:
Strollers are a challenge. I look forward to the day that I no longer have to take one. But at the same time, I've come to appreciate having it there to leave crap in so that we don't have to carry it around. That's worth a lot too! So just embrace the positives! :rotfl2:
TRUTH. Many people at Disney are wonderful folks, but there are always a few bad apples in the bunch. I know everyone has their grumpy moments on vacation but being a jerk to other people is out of line.
Very true.
Good grief! The EMM must really mess with the wait times - I hadn't thought of that! They were doing EMM back in 2015 and 2016, but I think it's much more popular now.
That's kind of why I didn't consider it much. I'm pretty sure that I knew it was happening in my planning, but just disregarded it as I didn't expect it to have a significant impact. It certainly did this time, but I have to assume 7DMT being closed just amplified it.
I'm so thrilled that R enjoyed his first ride on a rollercoaster! Perhaps he'll be your RNRC buddy in the years to come!
I'm sure he will!
Good to know! G and I brought our refillable water bottles on our last vacation (to Glacier National Park) and really liked having them available. Hopefully they'll put in even more refill stations!
They really are handy! I just wish there was ice too.
Good grief! I've definiately been in a long FP line at Space Mountain before, but never had to wait so far back. I'm amazed it was only a 20 minute wait! We also had a bit of chatter of whether we were in the correct line!

It's too bad that the lines seemed so crazy. I know it's busier in the middle of summer than other times of the year, but it's especially disappointing that the FP lines were not "fast" as advertised. They must be distributing too many passes!

Despite the longer-than-expected lines, it seems like you accomplished many things and had fun your first morning!
The space line at least kept moving. I had that moment of panic, but once we realized that it kept steadily moving forward I felt better.

Honestly, I don't think the park was that busy. Based on crowd calendars, we weren't there for any truly crowded days, and from what I saw of crowds in and around the parks I'd agree with that. But lines just seemed ridiculously over inflated for some reason.
What a happy boy! I'm thrilled that your first morning at the park went so well for R!
Other than PP, it went great!

Finally managed to get some dis-time and I'm all caught up with your report :)
You've gotten off to a great start. Those smiles on your kids faces at the hub are just priceless :love:
::yes:: They were excited. Almost as excited as I was.
LG has come such a long way and really is a wee miracle. Hoping his health continues to improve :goodvibes
He really, truly is. Thank you!
He's a miracle baby and has come so far.
He is! Makes it hard to be mad at him sometimes.
We only drove to MK 1 time in all our trips. We were parked real close & didn't have to take the tram but I don't think it's something I want to do again.
I'm mixed... I like the ease of taking bus, but I don't like waiting.
I know it's going to get better.
Yep, I'll agree with that.
Just need to rent the park out for a day to myself.
Gotta have a FP or rope drop it. It's my favorite Fantasyland ride.
Oh noooooo! I'm worried about JP on this too.
It's hard to tell... we didn't expect this. I guess it was a combination of the darkness and the noise and this being just the first ride we did. He seemed to handle some dark rides better later on, but we never got back to PP again.
Good call. We traumatized Danielle on her first trip. It's amazing how many dark rides there are for little kids.
That's the truth!
That's a win! Maybe he's a thrill- seeker.
Based on his typical daredevilish behavior, yes.
I quite riding it several trips ago. Of course I'm a good bit older than you. The last time I rode it my head hurt so bad I had to sit our riding BTMRR at night, my favorite time to ride.
Ah, BTMRR at night... one of the things I didn't get to do this time around. But you're definitely right about it being the best time to ride.
I'm worried about this too. I really like straws too. I have picked up some reusable straws I guess we'll see if I really use them.
We have some and considered taking them, but didn't want to have to keep track of them. DW said next time she's just going to buy a package of plastic straws and take them.
Awwww he looks like he's having a great time.
He was a happy boy!
Thanks for the recap on your son's journey. You must look back and realize just how far he's come.
This is the truth. Part of the reason I wrote that was because of the reflection when I saw DW's post about the g tube.
Your MK morning is going pretty good! Other than PP, R is being pretty brave. Hope your ADR and the rest of the day goes well!
::yes:: We did really well. The lines were longer than we expected, but we accomplished our goals!

Hey Andy! Joining in!

Thank you for sharing your little guy's story. What a little fighter you have!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your first day!

One of these days when I'm a billionaire, I'll rent the park for the day and you're invited. :rotfl2:

I'm holding you to this!! :laughing:

This was the EMM ticketed event. I really didn't expect those to have the type of impact that they did!

Ahhhh, I misunderstood. Yep, that explains it! I wouldn't have expected this to have so much of an impact either. Good to know!

I don't know... that night before you go can be a tough one to sleep!
That's before Disney.
Well not all of us can have a VIP pass.
:snooty:
3, I believe. The Richard F Irvine, The Admiral Joe Fowler and The General Joe Potter. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Correct you? I'm asking you!!
Probably not in the least. And despite the fact that she was half running on a moving boat dock and cutting in and out in front of people I'm sure it wouldn't be her fault at all.
:sad2:
Want to know the best part?

When we got on the boat, I pushed the stroller up as close to the front of the ferry as I could get. And I was standing right next to her.

Well worth her effort, wasn't it?
:laughing: Perfect! I sure hope she remembered you.
Not horrible, but I've never waited that long before at rope drop.
I get that.
In for a penny, in for a pound!
True. I don't mind the heat too much. Yeah it was hot, but we planned for it. As long as I can have some shade and not be in the full force of the sun... I don't really mind it.
Shade is good. Air conditioning is better.
Well, I do try to limit my carbonated beverage intake (and I can't afford a copious amount of Disney drinks) so having an insulated bottle was nice for that occasional drink. And we could refill them at the CS places and have cold water for the next few hours.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think it's a great idea.
I just don't like the taste of plain water... unless it's ice cold.
At that point, I didn't trust the system so I was afraid to snub on the condition that I thought the CMs might throw another curveball.
Oohh… good point.
Actually, I did notice this on our last trip in 2017, that this side was rougher than the other. I considered going to MK one evening for EMH and likely would have ridden it again. Would have been interesting to see the comparison.
One of my readers said he was going to do an experiment and see.
::yes:: There are a lot of other alternatives to paper. I fully argue that Disney's straw/lid ban is not so much an Eco friendly move as a budget friendly move.
Yeah. Like hotels who are "saving the environment" by washing towels less and not changing bed linens.

I guarantee that if washing more often saved the environment, it wouldn't happen.

We stopped later on for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Lake City, FL. I don’t think we made more than 1 or maybe 2 other restroom stops the whole drive.
That is seriously amazing with 3 kids in tow!!! Good Driving Karma for sure!

Check-in was a pain. They had 2 people at the desk with a line getting backed up and once I got to the desk, it took her 10 minutes to get me checked in.
Check in can be so painful some times. Disney makes it too easy most times.

he went on telling us we should sell her our tickets and was telling us she could get us a better price... I don’t know, I was done talking to her or listening when I told her we had our tickets and weren’t interested. She went on this hard sell trying to get us to do something and after telling her “No, thanks” a few times, I just turned my back and walked away.
Ugh. It always amazes me how some folks like that, just can't read people. I usually make it VERY clear we aren't intersted and them seem to make it a challenge or something.

48430367486_9310b77c0c_z.jpg
I just can't image how hard it must have been to see him like that!

2 months old... first time we got to see him without tubes or tape on his face

48430506637_dc46308e11_z.jpg
That face!!!! So cute!

Anyway... Last night marked 1 year since the tube came out.
Amazing!!! I hope you guys celebrated in some fashion.

And of course, what better to mess with your natural food intake/digestion and irritable behavior than a week at Disney World?
Ha! I guess, why not?!

She made a sign to help her co-workers better care for him.

48430644657_f81b3816be_z.jpg
I can't image how great it must have been to know that there were people who cared that much about him as you guys.

Those of you who are in this field, I just want to let you know I appreciate what you do. I know it isn’t an easy job, but you’re definitely in a position to make a real difference in someone’s life!
My mom worked in the NICU and it is hard! All nursing and doctor jobs are hard, but something about working with babies makes it extra hard. And I know from the stories my mom has shared over the years, you guys are truly lucky and blessed with your outcome!

All I’m gonna say is that if you see that open space and care to make it your space, I’m not going to worry about YOUR heels.
I don't miss the days of pushing a stroller. Everyone thinks that tiny opening is a special place that you have been holding for them! Yuck.

Part of the reason she almost ended up sitting in the stroller is because I sped up to close the gap.

Are we having a Magical Day yet???
Seriously, sometimes that is the hardest part of the day. or leaving.

We also waited 35 minutes.

Not really the start we wanted...
I mean it could have been longer.... I know you didn't want to wait that long first thing but it was only going to get longer as the day went on.

I told the CM there were 5 of us. For some reason she sent me and R to a spot in the middle of the train and DW, L and B to the front where they’d have to wait for the next one. We didn’t even all get to ride together.
That is strange. Of course, if that was my job, I would mess things like this all the time. I don't know how they keep track of all of that. But Barnstormer shouldn't be THAT hard to keep track of the numbers.

We’d only been in the park a little over an hour and the kids had already asked to ride the Tomorrowland Speedway.
Oye. The speedway... My girls love that as well. Unfortantly. How much shorter is it now?

We’d drained our drinks before riding the speedway, so after we got off I headed into Cosmic Rays to make use of the newly installed water fountains with the bottle fill station. I wish they had more of those around, it’s quicker and easier than even asking for a cup... only downside is you can’t get ice from them.
I was abnormally excitied to see this. I have to think they will be adding them in of the course of time. It will save them on paper cups. And go with the whole environmentally friendly intiative.

The kids, R included, ended up enjoying the ride. He liked the colors and music and even the darker part didn’t scare him.
It is kind of like It's a Small World, lots to see visually! Glad he liked it.

well, at the low point, we came to a stop. The FP line was backed up that far.
That IS NOT a good place to stop in the FP line!!! Yuck. Why was it so backed up?

In any case, it was hydration, it cooled him off and he was happy.
All good things!

Thankfully, he didn’t.
Isn't that always the way. You are more nervous that they will actually catch one!

And the fact that Disney just keeps raising prices, we almost felt like we were at the point of making the decision, “is it really worth it?”

For a couple of years, the answer was no.

I'm with you. I think the price increases have been over the top lately. Certainly much more than an average family can keep up with. So I don't mind "punishing" them by not going back as often. There's more to see in this world than Disney.

We decided we’d take a small trip this summer, with just our family of 5. That way it would be easy, no planning for a large group and we could just do what we wanted with the kids. Part of what put a damper on the magic on our past trip was that I felt like I was constantly on the app grabbing FP, moving FP and just keeping a group of 11 on schedule.

It became work.

I know that feeling too! Last year we immediately wanted a do-over with just our family, no one else!

From left to right, there’s me, Andy. The Dis nerd of the family.

Fixed it for you.

He wasn't really into the princesses and would whine about meeting them, but he was a good sport about it all.

As it should be.

We’d put his band on in the mornings and he’d get all excited and yell Mickey Power.

It became a “thing” this trip.

He’d reach out his arm and we’d have to tap our Mickeys together.

That's cute. Love it!

Let’s knock this boring update out quickly, shall we?

We drove to Disney World. The end.

Wait, you wrote more??? :faint:

We hit a little bit of traffic on I-4

So does everyone else.

This hotel had free parking, but they charged a resort fee.

That always ticks me off. Just give me the real price.

She went on this hard sell trying to get us to do something and after telling her “No, thanks” a few times, I just turned my back and walked away.

I mean, you can only say NO so many times. It's not hard to understand.

Anyway... Last night marked 1 year since the tube came out.

That's awesome! Great to hear!

And of course, what better to mess with your natural food intake/digestion and irritable behavior than a week at Disney World?

I can't think of anything else that would do the trick so well.

Those of you who are in this field, I just want to let you know I appreciate what you do. I know it isn’t an easy job, but you’re definitely in a position to make a real difference in someone’s life!

Well said.

I didn’t realize the TTC was undergoing so much construction that the trams weren’t going all the way in. We hopped on the tram, rolled a few hundred feet towards the TTC and then stopped to get off. It saved us SOME walking.

Hope you tipped the driver for that. :rotfl2:

I had a lady cut right in front of me just before we made it to the choke point at the gate leading to the boat. She pretty much jumped over R to get in front of my stroller.

And she was carrying a baby. Then she turned around and started yelling for her mom who attempted to do the same thing and squeeze between the gate and the stroller.

I was sure she was going to end up sitting in the stroller.

I won’t lie though. I knew what was happening and saw it coming.

Part of the reason she almost ended up sitting in the stroller is because I sped up to close the gap.

Are we having a Magical Day yet???

Other people are the worst.

The worst part about going to Disney World has always been the other people.

That's the worst part of just about anything.

R was with me. By the time we passed the Mermaid Lagoon, he was screaming for Mommy.

Off to a flying start!

I told the CM there were 5 of us. For some reason she sent me and R to a spot in the middle of the train and DW, L and B to the front where they’d have to wait for the next one. We didn’t even all get to ride together.

That's weird. I've never heard of them breaking up a family like that.

I was still nervous about the dark ride aspect after our ride on Peter Pan and was afraid Ursula would freak R out.

Being the world’s best dad and husband that I am, I handed him to DW and said he’s probably going to want to ride with you!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

We started walking into the FP queue. I’m struggling to explain it, but when you enter the line you go down to a low spot and then go up a ramp... well, at the low point, we came to a stop. The FP line was backed up that far.

Yikes. That's...not good.

I love Space Mountain. Or I should say I used to love Space Mountain.

This time, it hurt. I don’t know what it was, but it just felt really rough. I’d usually try to find other FPs later in the week or find a way to ride again if I could, but after this ride, I just didn’t care to.

Welcome to old age!

This is also when he discovered a new hobby. Chasing birds. I think he thought it was the coolest thing ever that birds would land within a few feet of him to pick up popcorn off the ground. And apparently he thought he wanted to catch one.

Don't tell Disney. They'll charge a premium for the "Magical Pigeon Experience".

Hey Andy! I'm back from vacation and diving in to make fun read along!
:welcome: I think you had it right the first time though.
That's before Disney.
Technically, this kind of was. I hadn't made it there yet!
Correct you? I'm asking you!!
Well, there are others who might stumble across it. Probably not.
Shade is good. Air conditioning is better.
True.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think it's a great idea.
I just don't like the taste of plain water... unless it's ice cold.
Makes sense. I just kind of prefer it when it's really hot.
One of my readers said he was going to do an experiment and see.
I rode it back to back a few years ago in evening EMH and I think I came to the conclusion that the right side was rougher then... that's the side I was on this time.
Yeah. Like hotels who are "saving the environment" by washing towels less and not changing bed linens.

I guarantee that if washing more often saved the environment, it wouldn't happen.
That's the truth.
That is seriously amazing with 3 kids in tow!!! Good Driving Karma for sure!
Couldn't have asked for better!
Check in can be so painful some times. Disney makes it too easy most times.
Ugh. It always amazes me how some folks like that, just can't read people. I usually make it VERY clear we aren't intersted and them seem to make it a challenge or something.
Yeah. That's the best way to ensure 100% that you will absolutely not sell me anything.
I just can't image how hard it must have been to see him like that!
It definitely was.
Amazing!!! I hope you guys celebrated in some fashion.
Huh, hadn't thought about that. I guess that's just one of the many milestones. Actually a pretty minor one, relatively speaking. When we see things like this pop up it's just a time we reflect.
I can't image how great it must have been to know that there were people who cared that much about him as you guys.
Definitely! The nurses weren't allowed to carry their phones but somehow when a couple of them were working we'd get random pictures via text message at night when we were away. :rolleyes1
My mom worked in the NICU and it is hard! All nursing and doctor jobs are hard, but something about working with babies makes it extra hard. And I know from the stories my mom has shared over the years, you guys are truly lucky and blessed with your outcome!
::yes:: No doubt. The hospital we were at is very good and gets a lot of CDH cases, relatively speaking. We saw a few come in, get the repair, spend a couple of weeks in the NICU and go home. On the other spectrum, we saw one CDH baby celebrate his first birthday in the NICU. One of R's nurses on his first night became one of his primaries when he returned to the NICU from ECMO... she took him as kind of her personal mission. The day he was discharged she wasn't working but came in to visit with us. She told us that the first night when everything else was failing and they had to take him for ECMO, she didn't think she'd see him again so she really took it as a personal mission to take care of him when he came back and do all she could for him.
Seriously, sometimes that is the hardest part of the day. or leaving.
It's really like the running of the bulls.
I mean it could have been longer.... I know you didn't want to wait that long first thing but it was only going to get longer as the day went on.
That's true and that's why we just went ahead and waited. Get it out of the way and then we don't have to worry about it.
That is strange. Of course, if that was my job, I would mess things like this all the time. I don't know how they keep track of all of that. But Barnstormer shouldn't be THAT hard to keep track of the numbers.
You wouldn't think so, but.. :confused3
Oye. The speedway... My girls love that as well. Unfortantly. How much shorter is it now?
I can't say that I remember the exact prior layout of the track... it might feel a little shorter, but not noticeably so... :confused3
I was abnormally excitied to see this. I have to think they will be adding them in of the course of time. It will save them on paper cups. And go with the whole environmentally friendly intiative.
If they had a place next to them to get some ice that would be perfect, but they are a great addition and much more convenient to the guest and the CM than getting in the CS lines for water.
It is kind of like It's a Small World, lots to see visually! Glad he liked it.
True.
That IS NOT a good place to stop in the FP line!!! Yuck. Why was it so backed up?
No it isn't... all I can figure is too many FP? Maybe some of those 7DMT passes from that morning that turned into anytime passes plugging it up?
Isn't that always the way. You are more nervous that they will actually catch one!
They seemed quick, but were awfully brave.

I'm with you. I think the price increases have been over the top lately. Certainly much more than an average family can keep up with. So I don't mind "punishing" them by not going back as often. There's more to see in this world than Disney.
Absolutely. I love how you guys get out and see so many different things. We kind of go back and forth wanting to do more of that, but also, we aren't brave enough to do it until R is a little older.
I know that feeling too! Last year we immediately wanted a do-over with just our family, no one else!
Fixed it for you.
Thanks. :headache:
That's cute. Love it!
It was funny watching him puff up when we'd put it on.
We drove to Disney World. The end.

Wait, you wrote more??? :faint:
Sorry... skip it. :car:
So does everyone else.
Not if you don't drive on I-4. And typically we don't. Another disadvantage to staying at this Holiday Inn.
That always ticks me off. Just give me the real price.
::yes:: Hotels are getting to be about as bad as airlines.
I mean, you can only say NO so many times. It's not hard to understand.
Obviously she struggled to comprehend.
That's awesome! Great to hear!
Another of the milestones!
I can't think of anything else that would do the trick so well.
:headache:
Hope you tipped the driver for that. :rotfl2:
Well, I didn't vocalize what I was thinking. Does that count?
Other people are the worst.
That's the worst part of just about anything.
Off to a flying start!
Literally!
That's weird. I've never heard of them breaking up a family like that.
I've got to think we misunderstood her or she misunderstood us? I don't know? :confused3
Yikes. That's...not good.
No... not at all.
Welcome to old age!
It gets worse every year.
Don't tell Disney. They'll charge a premium for the "Magical Pigeon Experience".
And then they'll upcharge the popcorn as pigeon feed.

This Restaurant Has Rodents!
We left MK to head to our first ADR of the trip at Chef Mickey!
I had planned our FP on Space to give us plenty of time to make the leisurely stroll or monorail ride.
I hadn’t planned for a combined 45+ minute wait time to use FP and RS at Space.
We quickly got to the monorail station and luckily we got there just in time to hop on a resort monorail and get to the Contemporary.
We arrived at the Contemporary about 10 minutes before our scheduled ADR, which wasn’t bad, considering Chef Mickey doesn’t let you check in early anyway so we felt good. I waited on the elevator with the stroller while DW headed down towards the Chef Mickey check in area.
When I got there I couldn’t believe what I saw.
There was a line to check in that strung all the way back past the stroller parking area.
We joined DW in line. I heard the group that got behind us freaking out because Disney will charge their credit card instantly if they aren’t checked in. I knew this wouldn’t be the case, but they were in a panic. She asked if she could get in front of us because their ADR was at 1PM and they were going to be late. I informed her mine was at 12:50 and I was going to be later.
At 1:10 we were finally checked in. They took my phone number for the text and sent us to get pictures.
In my Disboards absence, I didn’t realize that the Mickey statue was gone so with the delay to check in, and being hungry, I was kind of in a foul mood about even being in line for the picture. Just as it was our turn, my phone vibrated saying our table was ready. The PP photographer had props you could hold and was trying to invite us to grab one, but I wasn’t in a mood for a picture anyway and I told her our table’s ready, we just want to get done and go eat.
48430941122_3455fca240_z.jpg
So basically, we stood in a line to check in for about 25 minutes. Then approximately 3 minutes later our table was ready.
Maybe they should re-think not letting people check in early???
We were seated in a corner near the steps up to the area by the windows looking toward MK. It was kind of a high traffic area, but being 2 adults with 3 kids at a buffet it was a nice location. We could send L to get something and still have eyes on him.
The brunch menu was a bit disappointing at 1 PM. I guess breakfast food is always good, but there wasn’t much in the way of lunch items. Carved turkey, cornbread, mashed potatoes and a couple of vegetables. It was kind of meh, really.
I ended up eating mostly a plate of breakfast items and then did some damage at the dessert bar.
As we were waiting, R had been watching the characters intently and pointing them out.
But the moment of truth was upon us.
Our first visit was from Donald.
And R wasn’t feeling it.
No picture. No hug. Not even a high 5 or a fist bump. But at least he didn’t freak out and try to hide under the table or something...
48431023362_8892e32f2a_z.jpg
48431018527_556cf848df_z.jpg
Next up was Pluto.
He played around with L a little bit.
48431015312_951e103fcb_z.jpg
And R decided to hop up and join in on the fun!
48430875166_aac2619eaa_z.jpg
Next we had Minnie.
48430874516_b34c425e20_z.jpg
Then Goofy.
48431011772_2e2fb68315_z.jpg
And finally the Chef stopped by to ask how our meal was.
48431008982_0ee449212a_z.jpg
The kids had a good time with the characters, which is the main point anyway. Chef Mickey has become one of our go to places, but I’m just not really excited about it anymore. Our last couple of times have been ok... The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine. But last trip it was a big delay getting our check and leaving and then this trip it was a big delay just getting to the check in desk. I just feel like the service there is honestly a little subpar by Disney standards.
By the time we finished our meal, I had received a text that our room was ready. This was a relief, because our plan was to head to CBR to get settled into our room and hopefully let R nap before we headed back to use FPs later that afternoon.
We took a monorail to the TTC and this time, I pushed the stroller all the way to the car. B and DW hopped on the tram. Want to guess who go there first?
We made it to CBR and checked in at security. The CM working was a very nice guy. He was friendly and actually from about 40 minutes away from where we live so when he saw my ID he started chatting us up. I appreciate the friendliness of CMs, but honestly, this wasn’t a time I really wanted to chat. The skies were darkening and you could tell it was going to rain soon. And he kept me there long enough that there was a considerable line forming behind us. He finally asked what building we were in, gave me directions and set us on our way.
We were in Barbados 31. I used the fax request system in Touringplans to request a ground floor room with early check in for around a 2PM arrival. I didn’t really set any really restrictive parameters, but I got what I asked for.
Let me apologize right now, I didn’t get any room pictures. Lunch took longer than expected and we had FP to use later so our window of time was much tighter than we had planned for. We made the first trip to the room and the skies unloaded.

So, while everyone else started relaxing in the room and unpacking things, this guy got to make a few more trips out through the monsoon to bring in luggage, snacks and whatever other crap was in some of those bags.
I learned to really embrace technology doing this. Our Suburban has a button on the key fob that raises and lowers the back hatch. I’d walk under the cover of the building as close to the parking lot as I could, hit that button and as the hatch raised I’d make a mad dash for the next bag. The wind wasn't blowing too hard so the rain was mostly vertical so the hatch helped keep me from getting completely soaked.
Naturally, about the time I hauled in the last of our things, the rain stopped.
We unpacked and got ourselves situated in the room and the plan was to get R to take a nap.
It is really hard to get him to go to sleep, but once he's out, he could sleep through just about anything. We were hoping he’d fall asleep then we’d head to MK and do a few things before he woke up.
I’d received a text that there was a package for us at the desk, so I took the older kids to get them out of the room and eliminate a distraction for R. We went to get the package and secure our mugs.
The package was actually a gift bag that our TA had sent for us. It was a nice little Mickey bag filled with all kinds of snacks. We appreciated the surprise!
48496288686_325b12512e_z.jpg
I tried to keep the kids out of the room for a while so we walked around a bit to scope out the pool and the area around the lobby. But even with that, we came back to the room and R was still wide awake. It looked like Mission Nap was going to be a fail because it was almost time to go back to MK. Let’s just hope this doesn’t ruin the evening.

Well, there are others who might stumble across it. Probably not.
Who knows!
Not me, anyway.
Makes sense. I just kind of prefer it when it's really hot.
And that's better than me.
I should drink more water.
I rode it back to back a few years ago in evening EMH and I think I came to the conclusion that the right side was rougher then... that's the side I was on this time.
Hmmm...
I can't remember which way
we went, when.

We left MK to head to our first ADR of the trip at Chef Mickey!
That's a thing for you guys, I believe? First day, Chef Mickey?
I hadn’t planned for a combined 45+ minute wait time to use FP and RS at Space.
There was a line to check in that strung all the way back past the stroller parking area.
Whoa! Something must have been going on?
I heard the group that got behind us freaking out because Disney will charge their credit card instantly if they aren’t checked in. I knew this wouldn’t be the case, but they were in a panic. She asked if she could get in front of us because their ADR was at 1PM and they were going to be late. I informed her mine was at 12:50 and I was going to be later.
::yes:: Had a similar situation at the airport recently.
I wasn’t in a mood for a picture anyway and I told her our table’s ready, we just want to get done and go eat.
I get that. I hate those "You must pose here, whether you want to or not" things.
So basically, we stood in a line to check in for about 25 minutes. Then approximately 3 minutes later our table was ready.

Yeah, maybe. Juuuuust maybe.
The brunch menu was a bit disappointing at 1 PM. I guess breakfast food is always good, but there wasn’t much in the way of lunch items. Carved turkey, cornbread, mashed potatoes and a couple of vegetables. It was kind of meh, really.
Well... that sucks.
There should be a lot more choices than that!
and then did some damage at the dessert bar
Ah. Good.

That's all that really matters anyway.
Our first visit was from Donald.

And R wasn’t feeling it.

No picture. No hug. Not even a high 5 or a fist bump. But at least he didn’t freak out and try to hide under the table or something...
Well... no tantrum is a major plus.
Hey! Great!
Thinking the other kids had everything to do with that.
And finally the Chef stopped by to ask how our meal was.
Heh. Did you tell him?
Chef Mickey has become one of our go to places, but I’m just not really excited about it anymore. Our last couple of times have been ok... The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine. But last trip it was a big delay getting our check and leaving and then this trip it was a big delay just getting to the check in desk. I just feel like the service there is honestly a little subpar by Disney standards.
Hmmm... so maybe won't necessarily be a "thing" for much longer.
We took a monorail to the TTC and this time, I pushed the stroller all the way to the car. B and DW hopped on the tram. Want to guess who go there first?
You. Of course.

Everything's a competition with dads.
I appreciate the friendliness of CMs, but honestly, this wasn’t a time I really wanted to chat.
I've experienced that. I just want to go. I'm tired. Can you please shut it?
I used the fax request system in Touringplans to request a ground floor room with early check in for around a 2PM arrival. I didn’t really set any really restrictive parameters, but I got what I asked for.
Nice. It's worked out well for me from time to time, too.
Let me apologize right now, I didn’t get any room pictures.
meh.
I've seen lots.
So, while everyone else started relaxing in the room and unpacking things, this guy got to make a few more trips out through the monsoon to bring in luggage, snacks and whatever other crap was in some of those bags.
Thanks for delaying us, overly-friendly-CM.
Naturally, about the time I hauled in the last of our things, the rain stopped.
:laughing: Of course!
The package was actually a gift bag that our TA had sent for us. It was a nice little Mickey bag filled with all kinds of snacks. We appreciated the surprise!
Nice!

Huh, hadn't thought about that. I guess that's just one of the many milestones. Actually a pretty minor one, relatively speaking. When we see things like this pop up it's just a time we reflect.
I like to celebrate some of the small things, I guess. I always remind myself that we are so so lucky that our girls are healthy and happy girls. (Espcially when they are testing my nerves) But we do like to celebrate the little things. And by celebrate, it can be just a toast at home, ice cream. Not a full on party or anything.

At lunch?!?!

Seriously. I HATE when they do this, Just keep my time the same, but let me check in... Yesh

We could send L to get something and still have eyes on him.
That is nice. And It is nice to give them some freedom with-in reason.

I ended up eating mostly a plate of breakfast items and then did some damage at the dessert bar.
Could be worse..

48430875166_aac2619eaa_z.jpg
YEAH!!!

I love that he is holding her hand.

By the time we finished our meal, I had received a text that our room was ready. This was a relief, because our plan was to head to CBR to get settled into our room and hopefully let R nap before we headed back to use FPs later that afternoon.
Good timing!

Ugh, what a frustrating check-in experience.

Other than that, looks like a fun brunch! The Fab Five look great in the new(ish) outfits.

Sorry Mission Nap was a fail! I hope the rest of the evening went great, can't wait to read about it.

Your group photo at Chef Mickey’s is lovely even if you weren’t in the mood. The joy in the kids faces as they meet the characters is priceless. So glad LG was brave enough to join in the fun :)
We’ve never eaten at CM in the contemporary as the one time we wandered by it seemed frantic and chaotic so hasn’t ever appealed. Then I started reading trip reports and between the craziness and meh food I know it’s not happening for us. We did eat at a downtown Disney restaurant Chef Mickey’s maybe 25 years ago in the days when you just wandered up, asked for a table and got one. Imagine that!!:scared1::rotfl:

Other than the chaotic check-in at Chef Mickey's, sounds like it was a good experience. For the kids anyway. I'm glad little R was brave enough to take part in the character interactions. Cute pictures of the 3 of them! We also went to Chef Mickey's in the late 80's when it was located in DS. A much different experience. No nap - yikes. Hope he's able to take a stroller nap. With my grandson, I know it can make or break an outing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter