• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Michigan State

As a staff member who works in one of the schools that got "swatted" yesterday, I am so worn down by all of this. Spent over an hour huddled in a corner with a few special needs students; one who didn't understand the situation had to be pushed/dragged to a safe spot. I'm so grateful for our local police, who came within 2 minutes of the call. Seeing "Officer Friendly" carrying a really big rifle was scary. I don't know how I'd be right now if it had been an actual shooter at our school instead, but we made it through.

As a staff member who works in one of the schools that got "swatted" yesterday, I am so worn down by all of this. Spent over an hour huddled in a corner with a few special needs students; one who didn't understand the situation had to be pushed/dragged to a safe spot. I'm so grateful for our local police, who came within 2 minutes of the call. Seeing "Officer Friendly" carrying a really big rifle was scary. I don't know how I'd be right now if it had been an actual shooter at our school instead, but we made it through.

:hug:

DD14's school was among the rash of bomb threats last week, which is probably part of why I'm so on edge about it all right now. I still have a police scanner app from when I was working in local news and when I left for the day and saw police blocking off the streets around the school, I felt sick opening it to see what was going on. I can't imagine being in your shoes, on campus, when this is happening even as a hoax, never mind the real thing.

Our HS (in NJ) just sent out notice that there will be extra police presence in the schools this week (and our middle and high schools are .2 miles from the police station).

My daughter works with the mother of one of the victims. The girl went through the school where they both work. One of those children who is just a delight to watch grow up. I know what a horrid day they had making these young students feel safe and secure today while the staff was in so much pain themselves.
But by all means lets not upset the right to carry.

My husband and I are both Michigan State alumni. I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened- and a sophomore at MSU on 9/11. 22 years later I have active shooter training every 6 months at work. It seems like my entire adult life has been filled with fear... and it sucks. Thinking of everyone back home in East Lansing.

I know how these threads go and that this one isn't long for the world but I need to vent somewhere anonymous so I'll open the can of worms and hope it stays respectful.

I'm sure most have heard about last night's shooting at Michigan State. I was on the phone with my college daughter when the news broke. I heard about it from her because the group chat she's in with her high school friends was blowing up as they tried to get in touch with their classmates and friends who go to MSU. It is the largest public university in our state so everyone knows someone who goes/went there... including one of my kids' cousins who was at Oxford. Can you even imagine, 18 years old and dealing with the second shooting at a school she attends?

These things are horrifying no matter where they happen but it hits harder so close to home. And I find myself increasingly grateful that my daughter's grad school applications have gone mostly to overseas universitie, because I know, deep down, that no matter how angry we all get, nothing will ever change enough to stop these things from happening here. As one of my favorite radio host said this morning, leading into his coverage with personal remarks about his freshman son who attends MSU, this is who we are. This is our American sickness and all we can do is hope our kids, our family, our friends won't end up as part of the body count.
We lived in Haslett for 5 years while DH was on staff at State. We are horrified, heartbroken, and angry. Guns and lobbying, lobbying and guns. THIS is our American sickness.

As a 3rd grade teacher, my career has steadily seen in increase in the number of students with anxiety disorders. Out of a class this year of 21, 3 of them take medication and receive psychological services. No 8 year old should be so fearful and nervous about everything. Maybe having to practice a lockdown drill 4 times a year adds to that.

I have no words left any more.

:hug:

DD14's school was among the rash of bomb threats last week, which is probably part of why I'm so on edge about it all right now. I still have a police scanner app from when I was working in local news and when I left for the day and saw police blocking off the streets around the school, I felt sick opening it to see what was going on. I can't imagine being in your shoes, on campus, when this is happening even as a hoax, never mind the real thing.
I'm so sorry about your DD's school. It wasn't on campus, but I was part of an active shooter lockdown once, at a theater of all places. It was a big citywide audition, and I was there with my team auditioning people for a show. This woman came in and did a "monologue" for her audition that was actually her telling off one of the directors, apparently an ex-boyfriend, in the most horrible way, talking about how much she wanted him dead. She was excused pretty quickly, but she came back about an hour later with a gun and started brandishing it indiscriminately in the lobby. All of us were quickly sent into lockdown in the green room and the police were called. She kept swearing it was a prop gun, but nobody was taking any chances. I have no idea what happened or if the gun was real, and she was taken away by police with no shots fired. But it was absolutely terrifying. I can't even imagine what it's like for high school or college kids, especially when there are actually shots fired.

In memoriam

Arielle Anderson, 19, was a sophomore at Michigan State University and aspired to become a pediatric doctor. She was close with her grandmother and had just stayed with her on Saturday night. Her grandmother said she was “kind, loving, caring, compassionate, driven."

Brian Fraser, 20, was a sophomore at Michigan State University. He played varsity lacrosse in high school and was the chapter president of his fraternity at MSU. His sister said he was a light in his family's lives.

Alexandria Verner, 20, was a junior at Michigan State University. She was a three-sport athlete in high school, playing basketball, volleyball and softball all four years. Her father described her as a “beautiful soul.”

Beautiful young people. Their lives gone too soon.

In memoriam

Arielle Anderson, 19, was a sophomore at Michigan State University and aspired to become a pediatric doctor. She was close with her grandmother and had just stayed with her on Saturday night. Her grandmother said she was “kind, loving, caring, compassionate, driven."

Brian Fraser, 20, was a sophomore at Michigan State University. He played varsity lacrosse in high school and was the chapter president of his fraternity at MSU. His sister said he was a light in his family's lives.

Alexandria Verner, 20, was a junior at Michigan State University. She was a three-sport athlete in high school, playing basketball, volleyball and softball all four years. Her father described her as a “beautiful soul.”

Beautiful young people. Their lives gone too soon.
Human beings, wasted.

My friend’s nephew attends MSU. He is ok physically but is a wreck mentally. No kid should have to experience this.

College kids are the next generation of leaders. I hope they can create the change that we have failed to bring about.

As a 3rd grade teacher, my career has steadily seen in increase in the number of students with anxiety disorders. Out of a class this year of 21, 3 of them take medication and receive psychological services. No 8 year old should be so fearful and nervous about everything. Maybe having to practice a lockdown drill 4 times a year adds to that.

I have no words left any more.
Just heard on the news that 338,000 kids, K-12, have been exposed to mass shootings since 1999.

Another University of Michigan mom here weighing in. My son and I also listened to the scanner from Old Key West until the threat was over. Because this person took lives in 2 different buildings, many students believed there were multiple gunmen. Very confusing.

I was virtually holding my best friend's hand as she raced to campus through the night to pick up her daughter who was sheltering in place. Thank goodness she wasn't at WDW after all. These kids were so scared.

On the plane ride home today, I heard a man say, "well it was only 3, it could have been worse." Is that what we've come to? "Only 3" I felt sick when I heard that. I'm sure it was just that he didn't know what to say, but it hit so wrong to me.

Bless all 8 families. They all have a long road ahead of them.

I am heartbroken as always. Such a disgrace that nothing is done to stop the violence in this country. :(

Meanwhile, there was yet another shooting last night at a mall in El Paso, right next to the Walmart where 23 innocent people were gunned down 3½ years ago.

College kids are the next generation of leaders. I hope they can create the change that we have failed to bring about.

I hope so too, but the more I see this thought, the more hollow it rings. Living like this, year in and year out, starting with lockdown drills in pre-school and the omnipresent danger of shootings in virtually any public place, must be doing immense damage to our kids' sense of safety and well-being. I can't imagine that kind of chronic anxiety and stress are laying the foundation for healthy adults, much less effective future leaders. And particularly post-Parkland, it seems like the determination to change the world for the better is giving way to a bleak acceptance that this cannot be changed in a lot of young people... I don't feel like that bodes well at all for the kind of leaders this generation will turn out to be.

I hope so too, but the more I see this thought, the more hollow it rings. Living like this, year in and year out, starting with lockdown drills in pre-school and the omnipresent danger of shootings in virtually any public place, must be doing immense damage to our kids' sense of safety and well-being. I can't imagine that kind of chronic anxiety and stress are laying the foundation for healthy adults, much less effective future leaders. And particularly post-Parkland, it seems like the determination to change the world for the better is giving way to a bleak acceptance that this cannot be changed in a lot of young people... I don't feel like that bodes well at all for the kind of leaders this generation will turn out to be.

Sadly I have to agree. Keeping in mind that many of the murderers, particularly the school shooters, are teens and young adults themselves. Stress, depression, etc. and lack of coping skills, along with easy access to firearms, is a deadly combination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter