• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Miami - transportation suggestions

Clojel

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I will be cruising in February out of Miami with a large group of family (7 adults, 2 kids). We'll be staying at a VRBO in the city for 2 days prior to cruising. I'm looking for suggestions for transportation from the airport to our VRBO, from our VRBO to the port, and from the port back to the airport when our cruise is over. Would love to hear what options most people choose? Would I be better off just renting a car? If so, is there a cost to parking at the port? Any info would be great! We've cruised several times before but this is our first time sailing out of Miami. :)

You have nine people, so you'd need to rent two cars or a van at least. That's what I would do, rather than deal with transfers or taxis for that many people.

Parking at the port costs a little over $25 per day, I believe.

What will you be doing in Miami for the two days? Will you need a car to do it?

I'd be inclined to go with a couple of taxi's to get to the VRBO and to the ship. Or Uber/lyft. From the ship to the airport, you could take the ship's transfers.

I'm cruising out of Miami in a few weeks, and for sightseeing I am renting a car one way via Enterprise from the airport to a hotel near the port (I'm not staying there), and will get a taxi to the port from there. That turned out to be a lot more reasonably priced than renting a one way from Avis to a rental place that has a shuttle to the port.

I will take the DCL transfer bus back to the airport after the cruise. You have a lot more people, though, which makes transfers more expensive, which is why I suggested just keeping the rental car.

With 2 days to explore Miami prior to the cruise, I wouldn't want to have to hire & pay for a taxi or rideshare for every trip, especially with 9 people.

I’d say it depends on where you are coming from, if you live somewhere where you are used to driving around aggressive drivers and lots of highways with overpasses and speed lanes then I’d rent a 15 passenger van. A car makes everything easy in Miami as it’s not a walking city at all. I’d rent a car and then return it near the port and take a shuttle there as some rental cars provide it to the port. Or arrange DCL transport from the airport to the port and return your rental car back to the airport and hop on the DCL bus to the port. The highway road to the port (395) is under construction as they are building a new bridge overpass so it’s a hot mess of traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter