Mexico, yes or no?

Love Tink

DIS Veteran
Our family is going to be doing a two-week trip to CA this summer. I'm trying to put together our itinerary.

I grew up in SoCal and have fond memories of going over the border into Tijuana for a couple of hours every few years, wandering around and buying cheap souvenirs. I thought I might like to do that with my kids. But my husband is freaking out and telling me that things have changed and he doesn't want to do this.

Can anyone tell me whether Tijuana is to be avoided, even for a few daylight hours? Is there any other close-to-the-border spot in Mexico that might be better?

I'd like my kids to be able to say they've been to another country. But I don't want to be reckless (or waste hours on something that won't be fun at all).

Thanks!

ITA -- stay away! I wouldn't even wander into TJ as an adult right now (and I also have many fond memories of spending days there as a tourist). There's no way on this earth that I'd ever dream of exposing a child there right now.

-Bob

Much better to go somewhere that is fun and safe.

I believe it's even on the "travel advisory" list of the Feds. I last went to TJ a few years ago and there weren't any bargains to be had. Also it took hours to get back across the border into the US.

Try Olvera street in LA if you want the old-time Mexico feeling and the souvenirs!

There have been a lot of kidnapping, robberies and, just recently, a murder along the boarder. My church use to send youth groups on short term mission trips to Mexico but not anymore. It's just not safe.

No way I'd go anywhere near TJ and like you, we used to live is So. Calif and went often. Had friends with a beach house in Rosarito too.
I personally won't go anywhere near Mexico, especially the border/US Tourist areas.

My brother lives in San Diego and he used to go there but he says it is no longer at all safe to do so.

We have family in San Diego who speak fluent Spanish, and we used to go to TJ. Not anymore, its become too unsafe.

I second a previous poster's suggestion: Go to Olvera St.!

Don't do it! I live on the border in Texas, and people are gunned down everyday! It's sad because I love Mexico so much!

Cheyenne

Have to agree. We used to go there, but I won't go back until they clean up the cartels. It's too dangerous.

Don't do it! I live on the border in Texas, and people are gunned down everyday! It's sad because I love Mexico so much!

Cheyenne

Hey, Cheyenne - is there a star on your mountain?

I believe it's even on the "travel advisory" list of the Feds. I last went to TJ a few years ago and there weren't any bargains to be had. Also it took hours to get back across the border into the US.

Try Olvera street in LA if you want the old-time Mexico feeling and the souvenirs!

Well, the upside to the current state department warnings (most recent one dated April 22, 2011) about travel to the northern border regions, including Tijuana, is that the crossing is nothing like it used to be a few years ago.

A neighbor who routinely travels to and from Mexico for work said that the border crossing at San Ysidro took him just 10 minutes last time he was there (March 2011)

FWIW, he says he feels the violence warnings are somewhat overblown, but also admits he is more careful about when and where he goes than he has been in the past.

That said, I would be hesitant to plan a family trip to Tijuana right now... and this is coming from someone who just got back from a spring break trip to Mexico, with the kids in tow. We did try to avoid areas with specific travel warnings though.

Don't do it, the risk is not worth it.

Consider that Half the bad stuff that happens over there doesn't even get broadcast here :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter