Mexico Tourism Advisory in Effect. Anyone Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really curious if all of these problems will be affecting the western Caribbean cruises when they are released in October for 2019 dates. All of these warnings with Mexico and I'm also, hearing that some of the cruise lines are pulling out of Jamaica because of dangers there, too. I'm not sure where Disney could go for a Western that would avoid these ports and be safer.

And what if you had children with you...
I am all for the live and explore within reason, but when a travel warning has been issued (even more so for federal employees - you know there is a serious issue if the government bans their own to go), I would rather not subject my child to that or us for that matter. Yes unexpected horrible things happen on vacations, but to knowingly go and put yourself and family in a forewarned area, Nah, Nope, No way
I will take that apartment Please!

Yeah, children make a huge difference. We're on the Sept 30th WC trip. Definitely something to keep an eye on!

Wouldn't many people avoid visiting those areas as tourists, as well?

It all comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I hear on the news almost daily about people making a wrong turn on some street, and getting killed by some LA street gangs, or gangs randomly picking a person or car as part of their "initiation", or other acts of violence as I'm sure you've see. If you eatch the news. I'm talking 10 minutes from Disneyland, and I am pretty sure a lot of tourists visit Disneyland.

It all comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
And how much more or less likely that is, from one place to another. That's basically what the warning is telling us: The chance that these places are the wrong places has gone up.

And how much more or less likely that is, from one place to another. That's basically what the warning is telling us: The chance that these places are the wrong places has gone up.

Correct, it has gone up. In fact, up to the levels of Washington DC, and half the level of Chicago. And I have been in both of those cities this year, and lived to tell the tale. This article does a good job of putting the warning into perspective:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/andres-oppenheimer/article169187707.html

I'm not worried, but my husband who has always been against going to Mexico is. I finally got him to commit to a couple short cruises, but the recent advisory was out on the news and that's basically the end for my husband. Our next cruise is only 2 nights and since we were recently in Ensenada, I was planning on staying on the ship for Palo brunch anyway. The next one we have set is 5 nights with Cabo and Ensenada. I have a feeling he will insist on cancelling that one. I'm holding out hope that Disney will change the itinerary and we can still go, but I know deep down, it just isn't going to work out for me.

There is a middle ground. You can leave your apartment and experience the world while still avoiding situations that you know are likely to end in your demise.

VERY true! I highly suggest eating mostly vegetables while on the cruise, avoid processed meats and keep meat to a minimum, and watch the sodium and sugar intake, and drinking only water. And avoid driving to the airport or cruise terminal. Wouldn't want to risk one of these leading causes of death:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Which pier are you going to? With Carnival we are going to Puerta Maya. The port seems kinda cute and pretty safe. If wasn't going for an excursion, I would probably spend half a day there.
International Pier. They have a cute little port area, too. There's a Margaritaville right there (new location they moved to). I may step off just to take some ship pictures. We chose the sailing for the ship. The ports are standard.

We are scheduled to go to Cozumel in December, so I'll wait and see. Haven't booked any excursions yet. The recent reports of tainted alcohol at the all inclusive resorts are very disturbing. We have gone to Mr. Sanchos twice and had a nice time and felt safe, but the most recent visit was about two years ago so things appear to have changed.

I don't believe in the when itts your time it's your time theory. People do stupid thing and put themselves in situations to die all the time. They also put their kids in dangerous situations. People don't take care of their heath and essentially shorten their time on earth. If that's your theory why take any safety precautions at all. Why do we bother with seat belts, car seats, lock our doors.,eat heathy, Avoid dark alleys etc etc. I guess I could stand out in the middle of a hurricane Harvey and if it's not my time I'll be fine?
To the original question. I don't think they're targeting tourists, but tourist have a chance of getting caught in the cross fire of the drug wars. Just be careful

DCL stopped visiting Mazatlan when things got too risky a few years ago, and won't hesitate to alter their itineraries again if necessary. They will continue monitoring the situation in Mexico and take appropriate actions.

Meanwhile, I would not drink the alcohol in Mexico.

I have trouble with the validity of any reports that are coming out of the state Dept right now...

My concerns aren't based on reports by the State Dept. If anything, the official travel warnings from numerous countries merely add validity to the victim's claims, which is what I have based my decision not to travel there on. This report in particular does a good job highlighting some of those stories. It's long and a very difficult read but it's worth taking in before casting the warnings aside for political or other reasons.
http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...ke-up-to-a-nightmare/67-465054493?scroll=2419

I'd be more worried traveling to certain parts of the US at night as well.
Yes, crime can and does happen everywhere. There are places in the U.S. that I wouldn't travel to without using an abundance of caution. However, there are three big differences between the U.S. and Mexico right now.
1. 36% of Mexico's alcohol is illicit, including stuff sold at resorts and restaurants, which has led to injuries and death from consumption of tainted alcohol.
2. Crime is rarely punished, victims are not given proper treatment and are too often treated like they are to blame for falling victim. The hospitals refuse to treat without demanding thousands of dollars up front. Read through the report I linked above and you will see the disparity between the criminal/judicial system in the U.S. and Mexico.
3. It's nearly impossible for victims to receive compensation for damages so not only is there little to no chance of obtaining justice through their criminal/judicial system, becoming a victim in Mexico could bankrupt you and your family paying for the necessary medical care you needed as a result of becoming a victim.
The U.S. is not perfect but at least you have some rights and you stand a chance of getting the care you need if you ever do become a victim and seeing justice served on those who hurt you.

It is actually a new warning for Quintana Roo (where Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen are). The prior warning for Quintana Roo, from December, said "No advisory is in effect." Now, the same section of the warning says, "U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred."

Most of the news reports indicate that the murder rate is increasing so fast in the area that they have already surpassed last year's total. It's a very significant change. Whether the risk is so high now that people should change their plans is something each person will have to decide for themselves, but people who choose to do so aren't paranoid: There really is some additional danger that was not there a few years ago.

Sorry about that - we are going on the west coast to places that already had a warning out. You are correct that the Quintana Roo advisory is new.

DCL stopped visiting Mazatlan when things got too risky a few years ago, and won't hesitate to alter their itineraries again if necessary. They will continue monitoring the situation in Mexico and take appropriate actions.

Meanwhile, I would not drink the alcohol in Mexico.
WBPC 2015 we skipped Puerta Vallarta due to safety issues. With that port nixed we were literally on the ship without stepping off for 7 straight days.

On my upcoming cruise we have two stops in Mexico. I'm not worried at all. I will do what I always do; use common sense and stay aware of my surroundings. I plan to eat, have a few drinks, and enjoy the ports.

I don't expect to get raped, poisoned, or drug off by pirates- but I suppose it could happen; but honestly, that could happen to me anywhere... I don't think I'm excluded from any dangers just because I am in my home state or in my apartment. That being said, I always exercise good judgment no matter where I am and hope that is enough.

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...ke-up-to-a-nightmare/67-465054493?scroll=2419

Yes, crime can and does happen everywhere. There are places in the U.S. that I wouldn't travel to without using an abundance of caution. However, there are three big differences between the U.S. and Mexico right now.
1. 36% of Mexico's alcohol is illicit, including stuff sold at resorts and restaurants, which has led to injuries and death from consumption of tainted alcohol.
2. Crime is rarely punished, victims are not given proper treatment and are too often treated like they are to blame for falling victim. The hospitals refuse to treat without demanding thousands of dollars up front. Read through the report I linked above and you will see the disparity between the criminal/judicial system in the U.S. and Mexico.
3. It's nearly impossible for victims to receive compensation for damages so not only is there little to no chance of obtaining justice through their criminal/judicial system, becoming a victim in Mexico could bankrupt you and your family paying for the necessary medical care you needed as a result of becoming a victim.
The U.S. is not perfect but at least you have some rights and you stand a chance of getting the care you need if you ever do become a victim and seeing justice served on those who hurt you.
Thanks for posting this. It really underscores the harder facts that a lot of us, myself included, have not been internalizing completely.

In 2001, we visited Egypt. It was three years after 62 people, mostly tourists, were massacred at Deir al-Bahri, the mortuary temple of pharaoh Hatshepsut. It was a risk to visit Egypt, and a risk to visit Deir al-Bahri, but the decision to visit was taken in full knowledge and acknowledgement of that risk. Visiting an ancient archaeological site is something that can only be done there; there is no substitute. We needed to be sure that what we were deciding to do was commensurate that the risk that we were undoubtedly taking.

Now, to be fair, the risk in Quintana Roo isn't as grievous and specific as the massacre of 62, but it is still a risk, as you pointed out. As I mentioned before, we're visiting Tulum and Xunnatunich, so we're back in the situation of visiting an ancient archaeological site - something that can only be done there. I know that, at least for me, if I was just going to sit on a beach, I'd be more inclined to choose an itinerary that would take me to Ocho Rios or Labadee, rather than to Quintana Roo, given the warning, but everyone will have to weigh the risks and rewards for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter