• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mexico: La Hacienda or San Angel

Which one better for family (toddler and 9yr old)?

• San Angel Inn

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • La Hacienda

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters

RPM1214

Mouseketeer
We are going in August to Epcot. My 9 yr old isn't very adventurous and my 2 year old doesn't eat much, however, they both like Mexican food....Which is better: La Hacienda or San Angel Inn? I'm seeing availability for early dinners (like 4:30ish) which is ok with us for both places. We haven't ever been to either, I always though San Angel looked fun from seeing it while on the ride, but I've read food isn't great? Is La Hacienda much better? Which is better for a family?

Thanks for your input!!

They're both pretty good, in my experience. We ate at San Angel Inn last May and had a great meal (I think I had the enchiladas and left completely stuffed), had eaten at La Hacienda on quite a few of our previous trips and enjoyed that, too (both meals I loved aren't on the menu anymore, though).
The kids might enjoy the atmosphere at the Inn more.

I like the food at La Hacienda better but kids might enjoy the atmosphere at San Angel Inn more. The food at San Angel Inn is okay IMO. You're really paying for the atmosphere.

Last edited:
I would do San Angel - La Hacienda is nice and the food is ok, but San Angel has a better atmosphere, IMHO. We just ate there in December and I actually thought the food has improved since the last time we ate there a few years ago.

My kid, who would be happy eating tacos every day, couldn't find anything they liked on the menu at La Hacienda. I'm a big fan, though. Later in the evening, you can watch the fireworks from inside the restaurant. I'd stick with San Angel if the kids need to be entertained, but for an adult palette, La Hacienda is great.

Up until recently I would have said La Hacienda. It used to be a one of our favorites in Epcot and was a great place to watch Illuminations. However, the last couple of times we've eaten there - in 2020 and again in 2021, we haven't really enjoyed it. Our last meal especially was really bad - both food and service were sub par. It's an OK spot for watching Harmonious, but not as good as it was for Illuminations. So, for me - with your little ones - I'd go San Angel. It's been years since we've eaten there, so I don't feel qualified to comment of the food, but I think it will be more entertaining for your kids.

We’ve always had decent to great food at San Angel, and the theming can’t be beat. Make sure to request a table by the water!

I like them both but our last trip, this past May, we ate at La Hacienda and it wasn't as good as usual. Only problem with San Angel is I can't see what I'm eating lol but it's good!

Not knowing your family’s familiarity with Mexican food, but if your kids aren’t super adventurous just know that neither place offers “Americanized” Mexican food - eg hard shell tacos with ground beef, iceberg lettuce, and cheddar cheese on top. Authentic Mexican food (eg what is served in a shack in rural Mexico or in a grandmother’s kitchen) is my all time favorite cuisine but what I eat looks nothing like what you might find at Taco Bell.

I have preferred La Hacienda until recently. On my May visit, they had discontinued the free chips w/salsa. Aside from that the food was fine. As mentioned above, it is a little dark when eating at San Angel, but the food is fine. I'll be giving it a turn in October.

We always go to San Angelo Inn every trip. The food was good and has actually gotten better after COVID. Always get the soup.

The atmosphere is so nice and feels like being outside just before a summer storm. The three caballeros ride was my kids favorite in WDW when they were little (6 and under). There is usually no wait and we have even just stayed on the boat and gone again.

Both places are great. San Angel is more authentic Mexican food; whereas, I find la hacienda more Baja California type food. I like both but there is a little difference between the two.

I thought I had booked La Hacienda for our June trip, but actually booked San Angel. Whoops!
We were worried, but had a fantastic meal. We all left full & were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed the food!
It is super dark, but def not creepy for kiddos.
Enjoy your trip! 😊

We liked the food better at San Angel Inn, yes the atmosphere was cool but honestly our food was just better and was the same-ish price than La Hacienda. For talking with a group La Hacienda is better as San Angel Inn you sorta feel more like keeping the sound to less due to the atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter