Metal Tray "Environmentally Friendly Initiative" @ All-Star Music And All-Star Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's literally not been a SINGLE firsthand picture of this posted in the thread, and people are just falling all over themselves. The OP even said something like mac and cheese went in a bowl, not "slopped" down on the tray itself.

This thread is unintentional comedy gold.

Right?? I'm chuckling at the dramatics. Its happening in the quick service restaurants at value resorts, not Monsieur Paul. :rotfl2:

I have a relative who sent me these pictures from some other sites she is on. No metal trays, looks more like cardboard. The coleslaw is indeed in a bowl. I could live with fries & burgers in a tray. I would like to see some first hand reports on things like hot meats, the pasta & salad bowls. Maybe I need to check out the restaurant forum & see if there are any posts there.

And notice, they almost seem like a different type of large, cardboard plate. And in the second photo, you can clearly see that these are also on a plastic tray. :rotfl2:

4C9AAABD-A16D-4D81-A65A-31F75333A3F4.png D204E76C-3173-4351-8E7D-8D21EFC71457.png

Last edited:
I have a relative who sent me these pictures from some other sites she is on. No metal trays, looks more like cardboard. The coleslaw is indeed in a bowl. I could live with fries & burgers in a tray. I would like to see some first hand reports on things like hot meats, the pasta & salad bowls. Maybe I need to check out the restaurant forum & see if there are any posts there.

View attachment 378825 View attachment 378826

what the heck is that? A cinnamon roll with bacon, cole slaw and french fries? :sick::sick::sick:

On another note - that looks fine to me! It's a food court, nothing fancy needed! And seeing the other tray is funny!

That is from the 'Secret Menu' at ASMovies. All three of those dishes. I watched a youtube video on that last night actually, and noticed the tray the Poutine was on, but, thought, it was because it was a specialty item.

So...Paper/cardboard tray + wax paper ok. Paper plate = bad.

And if they are going to metal trays...couldn't they have bought metal plates instead? Or at least the Army stamped sectioned ones. Make every meal feel like a tv dinner.

Were pretty green out here in the PNW, but this is something that I don't think would fly out here. We also don't have Chili's, and now that I see what they are doing, no longer miss it.

And notice, they almost seem like a different type of large, cardboard plate. And in the second photo, you can clearly see that these are also on a plastic tray. :rotfl2:

View attachment 378825 View attachment 378826

The trays look like they are probably compostable which would be the reason for the switch. The plates aren't because of the coating on top. So this actually might not be a cheaper alternative to the paper plates but if it is compostable would be a better alternative because at least it can be sorted out or will decompose better. I don't have a problem if they switch to these. It would be nice if they were more sturdy than the paper plates so you could easily use it with that much food without a tray.

That is from the 'Secret Menu' at ASMovies. All three of those dishes. I watched a youtube video on that last night actually, and noticed the tray the Poutine was on, but, thought, it was because it was a specialty item.

So...Paper/cardboard tray + wax paper ok. Paper plate = bad.

And if they are going to metal trays...couldn't they have bought metal plates instead? Or at least the Army stamped sectioned ones. Make every meal feel like a tv dinner.

Were pretty green out here in the PNW, but this is something that I don't think would fly out here. We also don't have Chili's, and now that I see what they are doing, no longer miss it.
I was thinking the same about sectioned trays. Some people don't like their gravy running into their vegetables. Or at the very least put every item into an individual open box like they do at the Festivals. Then place the open boxes on the tray.

I was thinking the same about sectioned trays. Some people don't like their gravy running into their vegetables. Or at the very least put every item into an individual open box like they do at the Festivals. Then place the open boxes on the tray.

I mean, they could presumably order these compostable trays in other shapes besides trays... I was a kid that didn’t like any of my food to touch.

I am seriously curious now though, anyone have a pic of the metal tray??

I just looked on YouTube at recent reviews of Allstarsmovies including a dis unplugged episode, all have that cardboard plus wax paper. None had a metal tray. A breakfast of omelette, sausage, syrup, and waffle on one open tray seemed particularly gruesome. The bountiful slopfeast.

Doesn't NY state have a container deposit system where you can bring back bottles and cans and you'd get a nickel back? Because when I was in NYC last year and the year before, I saw homeless people foraging in rubbish bins for cans and bottles so that they could get money from them.

very true....and they are expanding the nickel bounty to all beverage containers...FINALLY.

However, it is a spitting in the ocean to raise the tide effort.

Anyhow, that doesn't account for pickle jars and anything else which is made of glass......

NYS giveth and taketh away

Yes! We have 4 Rivers BBQ here in Atlanta, and this is exactly how they serve their food.

I've eaten out of these trays multiple times. They are washed between guests. It works fine for ribs and sandwiches and burgers and okra and green beans and fries. Not sure how well it works for saucier things.

About how this is more environmentally-friendly...

I suspect that the culprit is NOT the real ceramic plates, which we all know are environmentally-friendly, but the disposable dishes and even worse, the MELAMINE trays, which are really, really, really awful for the environment. Metal is recycled and re-used. Melamine, nope.

The problem with just going with a plate is that guests are going to ask for the trays. It would help over the paper plates, but then what about the trays?

From a cost perspective, there is less work in only having to wash a small tray, rather than a tray and plates. Plates break too and these metal trays are very sturdy. I suspect that Disney is looking at the bottom line and not just the environmentally-friendly aspect.

Of all the things Disney has done to piss me off as a consumer in the last few years (don't get me started), this one is not one of them.
Well I live in Kansas City where barbeque is a food group and none of the places I eat at would do this.

I know that, but I don't see me toting the bags back to Disney every time we go. So most likely I would just really utilize the purchase back to the resort feature more, until they cut that out.

Why not, though? I carry Ziplock bags and other things in my park bag every time I go. I have a container of park items that I pull from for every trip. It's simple to throw my Disney shopping bag in that container, as well.

Most people pack lite when going to the parks. I myself leave my giant purse at home and only bring a very small crossbody to the parks.

Some people pack light. I wear a small crossbody (we do stay on-site) but on our last few visits, I was astonished at how many people seem to be practically bringing luggage into the parks. I saw far more people with ginormous backpacks than I saw people with small bags. Are they packing for long-term survival in the event of a siege on the parks? I even saw people with multiple bags going through security.

People don't usually go to the Disney Store in the mall and certainly not shops in the theme parks enough that they are going to remember or want to carry empty reusable bags around with them when they go.

Not in the theme parks (although see comment above re bags big enough to qualify as luggage) but in malls - well it depends on where you live. Where I live, hardly any stores give out plastic bags anymore and those that do charge five cents for them. It's now just a fact of life that if you want to shop at a mall you take your re-usables. Or pay.

Last edited:
Why not, though? I carry Ziplock bags and other things in my park bag every time I go. I have a container of park items that I pull from for every trip. It's simple to throw my Disney shopping bag in that container, as well.
There is no comparison between a quart size Ziploc and a reusable shopping bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter