Metal Tray "Environmentally Friendly Initiative" @ All-Star Music And All-Star Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

At Intermission and World Premiere,when you place an order,for say,some scrambled eggs and sausage you will receive a metal tray with a piece of wax paper on it and no paper plates,paper bowls.etc.:)

Your eggs will be in a "blob" on the wax paper and your sausage will be placed in another spot on the wax paper,etc.

There will be no paper plates,etc.used.:)

There are certain items where they still do use a paper plate,but not many.

It really is "strange" the first time you see it,but it absolutely will save the environment from tons of trash.:)

Uhh...yeah that's pretty ridiculous. Some foods like eggs and sausage make more sense on a plate cause of the water and grease that can come out of said foods. As one poster mentioned this would make sense with hand held foods, no so much those requiring a fork and knife.

Also...wouldn't wax paper be a worse contributor to the trash load? I would think a basic paper plate would degrade faster than wax paper cause of the moisture proofing.

I am befuddled how this is more environmentally friendly than a real plate or bowl. the trays are washed between uses just like a plate is.

The person who asked about the paper getting torn up..it doesn't. at least not with the ribs or chicken fingers DH and I have had this way at Chili's (eaten with fork and knife).

I am befuddled how this is more environmentally friendly than a real plate or bowl. the trays are washed between uses just like a plate is.

The person who asked about the paper getting torn up..it doesn't. at least not with the ribs or chicken fingers DH and I have had this way at Chili's (eaten with fork and knife).

It does when I cut it at Chili's. Maybe I cut it too forcefully or something. We've stopped going there because I'm not a fan of picking bits of paper off my ribs.

I think we should be really environmentally friendly. Just close the parks & resorts altogether. Think of all the energy saved , tons of trash & cheap souvenirs that will never end up in a landfill. :rolleyes:

Prison cafeteria" ... oh, please, spare me the pearl-clutching. This is so inconsequential to 99% of people's lives.

And, no, I’m not “clutching my pearls”. I don’t even own pearls. But the first thing I thought of when I read this was a prison cafeteria. And for that matter, Disney parks in general are inconsequential to most people’s lives. But here we are, with a whole website to discuss them.

Last edited:
It does when I cut it at Chili's. Maybe I cut it too forcefully or something. We've stopped going there because I'm not a fan of picking bits of paper off my ribs.

You may be LOL. Hasn't been a problem for us and we eat there a few times a years. But I think only sandwiches, burgers and other eaten-in-hand foods should be served this way.

What happens if you're having it sent back to the resort? I presume I won't have to provide a bag for this?
Lol, I was just going to reply that I was talking about the Disney Store locations you find in suburban malls around the country, and that I wasn't sure if this was the case for the shops on property in the parks and resorts but looks like I got my answer below:
Apparently sending your purchases to your resort will soon be the only way to get a bag!

The first time I was in the Disney store since they adopted this no bag policy, the woman in front of me was buying a lot of stuff and seemed pretty irritated that she had to also purchase bags to carry all her stuff in. I was just buying one thing and I carry a large purse, so I just put it in there. If I had been buying a lot of stuff and needed to purchase bags to bring it all home in, I would likely be annoyed enough to leave without purchasing anything.

Last edited:
All I can think are my kiddo’s fingers jammed in those little round holes on the side of those trays. Or getting clipped by one in the head off the side of the table. Seriously kids and metal trays with holes on side - slice and dice - shiver! My daughter once got her entire arm thru the tiny hole in the back of an Applebee’s chair in seconds. It took a whole lot longer to work it back out with vegetable oil from the kitchen! Why can’t they use plates and silverware like AOA? Are they changing too? Wax paper at Contemporary even? This is like the huge boxes they tried to replace plates where we were eating out of cardboard trays. The trash cans were overflowing then because they didnt think it through......

Chili’s has been doing this for at least a year. I don’t like it.
I ate there in December and did not even notice it so I am guessing it did not bother me lol

That is what World Premiere did with our Chicken/Catfish Dinner-they put the mac and cheese in one of the little paper bowls with everything else plopped down on the wax paper.
That makes sense to me
Good to know! I don't mind, will just bring old Disney store bags, but like knowing ahead of time rather than being surprised with the info.

I am okay with this for foods that are handheld like burgers, sandwiches, fries, pizza slices, etc. If I am eating food that is generally eaten using a utensil, I want a plate.
I go to a bbq place that has the same basic set up and that is what they do - makes sense to me.

Why are people assuming the trays won't be washed?

I am curious about how this stacks up against real dishes environmentally. It does seem like real dishes would be the clear winner...

Why are people assuming the trays won't be washed?

Because people love jumping to conclusions and concocting outlandish what-if scenarios like people flinging them around as frisbees and their children slicing their fingers on them.

I don’t understand how some people deal with real adversity in life if losing paper plates causes this level of outrage.

Last edited:
I think we should be really environmentally friendly. Just close the parks & resorts altogether. Think of all the energy saved , tons of trash & cheap souvenirs that will never end up in a landfill. :rolleyes:

And, no, I’m not “clutching my pearls”. I don’t even own pearls. But the first thing I thought of when I read this was a prison cafeteria. And for that matter, Disney parks in general are inconsequential to most people’s lives. But here we are, with a whole website to discuss them.

This is one step below the people up in arms because they stopped printing Disney Parks on the paper napkins. It’s food on a tray. People will get over it and their lives will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter