Metal on swimmwear attracting fish?

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
I have read that metal on swimmwear or metal generally speaking can attrack fish while snorkeling. We will do this in CC and I am a bit worried.. Baracudas etc... Should I take my wedding ring off? and some clasps on my back have metal...

do fish really make a bullseye for metal?

thanks

I can't speak to whether it is 100% accurate or not, but the reasoning behind it makes sense to me, so I remove my wedding ring before snorkeling. A barracuda swam about 6 feet from me the last time I went and never even gave me a passing glance, so there's that. I figure it's worth removing anyway, as I can't lose it in the water then.

The problem with me is my riings are tight and the heat and humidity of Florida makes it almost impossible to get off. so I might have to leave my stuff at home for the entire trip!

I was just snorkeling in the lagoon at CC last week and was frequently surrounded by fish. Those fish would easily attack a 'cuda. A dangling cross or charm on a necklace is much more of am attractant than a gold ring.

As a avid scuba diver all I can say is that it might attract a barracuda but highly unlikely. I have over 100+ dives and I have my dive watches on, shinny "D" rings and other metal clasps/clips and gauges and I have never had any problems with any fish being attracted to them. I've even seen numerous barracudas while diving. If you are concerned you could always take it off and leave it in your stateroom safe before you disembark at CC or cover it with some type of medical tape.

I've never had any issues. I don't remove my wedding ring and I have metal rings on my swimsuit (if I'm not wearing a swim shirt). I suppose theoretically they are attracted, but it's probably quite rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter