• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

Yes it has been lowered to Cat 4 but the news said that it only drops the wind speed down 5 MPH... stay safe everyone... we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers... keep us posted!

We are here at the Fort now in a cabin. It's a ghost town! We were switching to AKL Saturday anyway, so the evacuation won't affect us.
I hope everyone who is down here stays safe and that their campers aren't damaged in the storm.
My friends who live in Florida have all boarded up their houses and are prepared for the worst. One of them may be coming to ride out the storm at AKL with us. Hoping their homes are spared any major damage.

Yes Irma has been classified as a Cat 4 but that is because it is undergoing an Eye Wall regeneration cycle. Unfortunately it is now entering the Florida straights where it will be over shallower and warmer water, conditions that make a re-strengthening highly likely. Again for all in the path of this storm be and stay safe

And ... keep in mind that the difference between a Cat 4 and Cat 5 hurricane is one mile per hour wind speed.

Ok not staying at the Fort tonight. I checked into a cabin yesterday with friends. Today we start a new reservation with my husband. They aren't taking new people in. Waiting to see where we will be for tonight.
HDDR is canceled Sat Sun Mon as of now. Front desk just told me, in case anyone needed that info.

My concern(s) with arrival next weekend ( 09/17 ) are gasoline availability on I-75. Gasoline will most likely be available but power to run the pumps might not be, especially the further south you get. I don't have aux tanks on my truck and I know I will need gas 2 times prior to arrival at the Fort. At 8 - 9 miles per gallon, 36 gallons doesn't go very far.

I have lived on the Florida coast all my life and have been out of power due to hurricanes many times. In 1995 with Hurricane Opal ( a cat 3 storm ) coming on shore about 20 miles west of my house, we were out of power for almost 2 weeks and this was a storm that only affected about 3 counties on the Gulf coast of Florida.

Irma, with her current track will affect ALL of the Florida peninsula stretching Florida Power and Light waaaaaaay beyond it's capabilities even though there will be an army of other power companies pitching in to help.

Just my thoughts on what may be a scenario right around the corner.

My concern(s) with arrival next weekend ( 09/17 ) are gasoline availability on I-75. Gasoline will most likely be available but power to run the pumps might not be, especially the further south you get. I don't have aux tanks on my truck and I know I will need gas 2 times prior to arrival at the Fort. At 8 - 9 miles per gallon, 36 gallons doesn't go very far.

I have lived on the Florida coast all my life and have been out of power due to hurricanes many times. In 1995 with Hurricane Opal ( a cat 3 storm ) coming on shore about 20 miles west of my house, we were out of power for almost 2 weeks and this was a storm that only affected about 3 counties on the Gulf coast of Florida.

Irma, with her current track will affect ALL of the Florida peninsula stretching Florida Power and Light waaaaaaay beyond it's capabilities even though there will be an army of other power companies pitching in to help.

That's my main concern as well. The aftermath.

Last edited:
My concern(s) with arrival next weekend ( 09/17 ) are gasoline availability on I-75.
Do you have the option to bring fuel jugs with you? I used to carry four 5 gallon fuel jugs for the generator when I went to races and dry camped. That would probably be enough buffer to get you from areas having gas and power to the Fort.

My hope, looking at the latest track, is the western side of Florida where I-75 runs will have less impact than further south or the east coast. 60-80 mph winds will do less damage to the power grid than 130-140. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it to convince myself that it will all be ok by next Friday when I try to arrive at Lake Louisa.

j

Do you have the option to bring fuel jugs with you? I used to carry four 5 gallon fuel jugs for the generator when I went to races and dry camped. That would probably be enough buffer to get you from areas having gas and power to the Fort.
j

Yep, Teamubr, I plan on carrying two 5-gallon plastic gas cans with me. Thinking about adding a third.

My hope, looking at the latest track, is the western side of Florida where I-75 runs will have less impact than further south or the east coast. 60-80 mph winds will do less damage to the power grid than 130-140. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it to convince myself that it will all be ok by next Friday when I try to arrive at Lake Louisa.

j

Also our concern as we are scheduled to arrive on the 18th with our campsite on the 17th being at the FL/GA line. We have talked about adding an aux tank this weekend. It would give us 136 gallons of diesel fuel and should allow us to run from SC to the Fort and back without refueling, traffic allowing.
So there are a bunch of us due to arrive in the aftermath, and looks like we are all in a holding pattern to see what the weekend brings. Not much we can do to change it. We can only pray for the safety of all, and hold out hope for a good outcome.

So there are a bunch of us due to arrive in the aftermath, and looks like we are all in a holding pattern to see what the weekend brings. Not much we can do to change it. We can only pray for the safety of all, and hold out hope for a good outcome.

Amen to that PaHunter.

The aftermath is my big concern as well. I have 26 days til my arrival so I feel like that should be enough time but we once had a wind storm here in Cincinnati that knocked out power to a large number of people for over a week. That makes me nervous cause if the parks don't have power then what's the point of going? And right now the path looks like it is going right up I-75 up through Georgia, how long will it take them to repair the highway if it gets torn up?

And of course I'm assuming I still have a husband at the time of my trip, he is a paramedic and may be sent down there as part of the relief teams. I guess it's okay as long as my beloved castle is still standing.

Like all of you at home, I will be sitting here anxiously staring at the news all weekend.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter